Tablets

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Anyone have the newNvidia Shield K1tablet? This thing checks a lot of the boxes for what I'm looking for. Seems to be sold out in most stores.
I have one as my main tablet. Don't use the shield functions of it at all so can't comment on that. My experience with it overall hasn't been terrible, but also not great. Very lukewarm. There were a lot of problems with the last Android update where a core was getting locked and draining the battery in like an hour. Almost mandatory to set your power profile to the slowest performance to get any useful time when not plugged in. Took Nvidia like six months to fix it. The latest build, for me, has very bad wifi performance. Sometimes wifi just turns off, sometimes it just stops realizing I'm connected, and if I move more than 15 ft in the house i have to reconnect.

The build quality and size are perfect for what I want, just seems there are issues with Nvidia's Android build.

Jaybee

Silver Knight of the Realm
I have one as my main tablet. Don't use the shield functions of it at all so can't comment on that. My experience with it overall hasn't been terrible, but also not great. Very lukewarm. There were a lot of problems with the last Android update where a core was getting locked and draining the battery in like an hour. Almost mandatory to set your power profile to the slowest performance to get any useful time when not plugged in. Took Nvidia like six months to fix it. The latest build, for me, has very bad wifi performance. Sometimes wifi just turns off, sometimes it just stops realizing I'm connected, and if I move more than 15 ft in the house i have to reconnect.

The build quality and size are perfect for what I want, just seems there are issues with Nvidia's Android build.
Ugh, that doesn't sound too good. I noticed you mentioned you had it for more than 6 months, do you have the older 2014 model or the new 2016 model released this year? What build gave you wifi issues, Marshmallow 6?

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
Had 1 of the original shields, enjoyed it quite a bit until they discovered the battery can over heat and catch fire. Got sent a new one, ok cool. New one worked great till they updated to Marshmellow and put a new firmware version on the WiFi chip which basically turned it off.(didnt have the 3G version) Think it was a month or so before a factory reset worked to get it running again and immediately sold it. Never again.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Ugh, that doesn't sound too good. I noticed you mentioned you had it for more than 6 months, do you have the older 2014 model or the new 2016 model released this year? What build gave you wifi issues, Marshmallow 6?
Both have been the updated version. I got one at Christmas and dropped it in the tub a couple months later, then ordered a new one without the wife knowing so she wouldn't find out I broke her present to me.

Starting post for this

Just bought a Google Pixel C and keyboard

+Keyboard is reaaaaaaaaaally nice
+Screen is superb!
+Fast!

-Most apps are not designed for android tablets..so need landscape mode is not really supported on several apps... Hoping Android 7.0 (Nougat) will help ease that issue.

Bought it most for fun, no wifi issues yet and havent tested final development builds of nougat.. waiting on OTA release.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

MusicForFish

Ultra Maga Instinct
<Prior Amod>
My kid is turning 4 this year and it's time to get her a tablet. I've looked at the "learning tabs" but they kinda suck ball-sack.
I want to be able to send her messages and pictures and videos and have her respond in kind as well as all the regular functions (movies, learning games, etc).
Durable as fuck too cause she likes to toss shit around when she's sad-mad.
I've done some researching but there's so many "paid for" reviews.
Would love some recommendations please~

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
My kid is turning 4 this year and it's time to get her a tablet. I've looked at the "learning tabs" but they kinda suck ball-sack.
I want to be able to send her messages and pictures and videos and have her respond in kind as well as all the regular functions (movies, learning games, etc).
Durable as fuck too cause she likes to toss shit around when she's sad-mad.
I've done some researching but there's so many "paid for" reviews.
Would love some recommendations please~
Get a cheap tablet, and then just put a kids case on it. I don't like the Kindle Fires, as it's too much a pain in the dick to add your own content, and/or apps.

I recently had a Nexus 7 2013 that my 3 year old has used since he was 2, and the screen broke, and so I went to best buy and just picked up a $130 Samsung Tab 4 I think? Name sounds right. 7 or 8 inch screen, and got a kids foam case for it off Amazon. Has worked just fine, and with the SD card, I can load it full of shows and movies for road trips when WiFi isn't available.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

galgor

Bronze Knight of the Realm
If you've got the hankering for something slightly larger, I got a Lenovo Tab2 A10 for a hundred fifty about six months ago.

I bought it for reading comics, but it's treated me well so far. Not high powered by any means, but I've enjoyed it and it's served me well.

Crone

On the hunt for an older iPad 3rd or 4th gen, running iOS 8.4 through 9.1 (for jailbreaking purposes).

Been all over CL and OfferUp, without luck because the iOS I need is fairly old. Figured what the hell, throw it out there on here as well. Hit me up if you have an old iPad collecting dust and wanna sell it!

Inque

FunEmployed
I have an iPad Air generation 1 w/ a Lifeproof case (Nuud edition) that is collecting dust - could use a good home, very minimal use (it was my Netflix bitch for the past year). It's only 16GB if that's enough storage?

Crone

I have an iPad Air generation 1 w/ a Lifeproof case (Nuud edition) that is collecting dust - could use a good home, very minimal use (it was my Netflix bitch for the past year). It's only 16GB if that's enough storage?
Thanks. Can't be an Air, because I need it to be a 32 bit iPad. So no mini's, and iPad 1-4 is the only ones that'll work. Preference on 3rd or 4th gen for the better screen and performance.

loudgas

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I have a Cherry Trail Windows 10 tablet which I'm quite happy with, picked it up for 100cdn, its the Cube iwork8 ultimate windows tablet. Only 2gb of ram and 32GB storage but it does everything I need it to, and even can handle games like Skyrim/TF2 decently if you can believe. Also got an Acasis micro usb (powered hub) this thing is a gem if you can score one. loaded games/movies onto an external SSD.

Anyone using one of these, what other games are playable? I tried Diablo, it loaded but that's about it.

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
Do we have any artists on this board? Mainly any that draw on tablets, surface pros, etc?

That damn mobilestudio pro is so fucking badass, but 2k dollars! Anyone have one?

Mr. K

Molten Core Raider
I need a budget tablet with USB C charging. My kids fuck up micro USB cables too easily.

Unidin

Molten Core Raider
Are those amazon kids tablets worth a shit?

As long as you're ok being locked into the Amazon app store instead of the Google Play app store. For kids stuff it should be fine, just check the store first to make sure it has all the apps you want. Also understand that even with popular apps, they're usually a few months behind the Play store version.

sadris

Karen
<Donor>
What's a good Android alternative to the iPad mini? Apple is pricey for a rarely used device. Something to use in bed mostly