Tablets

ShakyJake

<Donor>
Alright, tired of fucking around with cheap tablets.

Which Andriod tablet is the closest to an iPad performance-wise? Looking for something in the 10" range.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Picked up an iPad 3 this past year, and it runs better than the Samsung Tab I got that was current year. About the same price as well. Not sure why, but this surprised me.

For latest Samsung tablet, just look at best buy or whatever. Will run ya $400-600 per usual.

Ronaan

Molten Core Raider
I went ahead and got the Fire 8. Any apps or anything I should look for?
Play Store. Just google it. Might find a how-to on the amazon reviews too. Did it for mine and it's nice being independent from amazon and having all apps available.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Anyone know of a tablet that would be really water resistant? Several people I know have asked and haven't come up with much. In the field if it rains they normally use rite in the rain paper as a normal tablet or such won't be of much use.

The only ones I have used is a Lenovo tablet from years ago and a company gave me a surface to use to do some work and pretty sure neither of those are the least bit water resistant.

Last edited:

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
Took a year to bump this thread. Yeeesh. Have we hit tablet boredom? Large phones have taken over?

On a more related note: Every cheap tablet I've purchased (aside from the Google line) has been a mistake. These things struggle to use a simple browser sometimes. So choppy and sluggish.

Borzak

The company that gave me the surface replaced their desktops with it and everyone had to use a dock with a moniter and keyboard/mouse and such. Seemed like a stretch to me. I use my other tablet just to have something handy to use while doing something else, like while using my telescope at night I can use it with all red light to not destroy my night vision and such.

Crone

Anyone know of a tablet that would be really water resistant? Several people I know have asked and haven't come up with much. In the field if it rains they normally use rite in the rain paper as a normal tablet or such won't be of much use.

The only ones I have used is a Lenovo tablet from years ago and a company gave me a surface to use to do some work and pretty sure neither of those are the least bit water resistant.
Much easier to find a tablet that everyone likes and get a waterproof case for it.

Borzak

count.png
Much easier to find a tablet that everyone likes and get a waterproof case for it.

First thing I thought of too. I asked the timber cruisers about it and they said they had issues with the thing taking commands from the stylus deal to get really small entry of a dot like deal to count on the grid they use the same as the paper which is the standard for the last 50+ years, while having a case on it.

They had good luck with plain tablets and it was nice they didn't have to carry extra pads already printed to enter on and it did some of the calculations they normally had to enter by hand into a spreadsheet or app afterwards. Still looking.

It looks like this you do, so that would be a count of 10, one for each dot and one for each line and you might have 75 or so on a single sheet normally. They tried a stylus to draw them on a tablet which worked, but not well with a case for some reason. Maybe they needed to try better tablets but I wouldn't think they want to put much money into them for various reasons. The dots would be smaller than that, but first time using paint 3D and it sucks heh.

Last edited:

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
I got my son a Fire 8 last year, but it’s crashing when I try to play any graphically intense game. I’m lookin to either get a preowned beefier tablet or see what Black Friday offers. I don’t want to spend more than $100-$150 on it. Thoughts?

Crone

I got my son a Fire 8 last year, but it’s crashing when I try to play any graphically intense game. I’m lookin to either get a preowned beefier tablet or see what Black Friday offers. I don’t want to spend more than $100-$150 on it. Thoughts?
Stick with a new Fire if you want. I've got 3 small children and the best luck I've had has been old iPad's honestly. Get a iPad 4, where at the time the thing was like $800 but can get them for less than $150 off eBay and shit runs better than a brand new $150 Samsung tablet. Makes no sense....

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Crone

Fire 10 is $99 on Amazon right now.
I noticed from the screen shots that it looks much more like a tablet these days, versus the weird Fire OS they have had in the past with the weird home screen and app launcher. Is this how all the Fire tablets are now?

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
My son of course wants a tablet that can play fortnite.... Yeah fuck that. Only ones that can even do it it seems are galaxy tabs and they are 500. Just going to buy him a switch instead and we'll both get enjoyment from it :).

Sledge

Trakanon Raider
For note taking and email would you guys recommend the new iPad or Surface Go?

I'm worried about missing a keyboard and mouse because I do a decent amount of copy/pasting between different windows. But after watching videos it seems like the iPad might be better for note taking.

I don't want to spend too much money on these right now because it's more of a trial on whether a tablet with optional keyboard will work for me.

Borzak

This sounds incredably bad. Remember a virus can't break your computer physically, but a microsoft update can brick it requiring a replacement lol.

Surface Pro 4 Firmware Update Woes Prompt Microsoft To Issue Replacements

Last month reports were making the rounds that Microsoft had started to issue replacements for Surface Pro 4 devices that had screen issues due to faulty firmware updates. Some Surface Pro 4 owners were able to get Microsoft to give them a warranty replacement, and others were unsuccessful in getting that done. Microsoft has now stepped up and acknowledged the Surface Pro 4 firmware issue and all affected users will be able to get a warranty replacement for defective devices.

Microsoft has acknowledged the display issues that owners of these devices are seeing is a direct result of the July firmware update for the tablet. That firmware update caused driver issues that had to do with the Surface embedded controller and Surface UEFI, which caused them both to throw a "(code 10)" driver error.

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
I need a new device for surfing shit posting on FoH from the couch and reading comics and occasional travel. My iPad 2 runs like a pile of shit even after resetting it to factory. The iOS updates seem to hate it. Not sure if I should get a new iPad or a Chromebook. I would like to try and get something for 300 or less and not feel like its a pile of crap. I was thinking a chromebook might be nice as holding tablets for long periods of time gets a bit uncomfortable. I would love some suggestions.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I need a new device for surfing shit posting on FoH from the couch and reading comics and occasional travel. My iPad 2 runs like a pile of shit even after resetting it to factory. The iOS updates seem to hate it. Not sure if I should get a new iPad or a Chromebook. I would like to try and get something for 300 or less and not feel like its a pile of crap. I was thinking a chromebook might be nice as holding tablets for long periods of time gets a bit uncomfortable. I would love some suggestions.
if you don't need it right away, camp the deal forums and see when a kindle fire 7 or 8 goes on sale.

i think i got a fire 7 before thxgiving for 10bucks shipped or 15?, works nice to browse n shit on the couch

• 1Like

Crone

IPad 4s can be had off ebay for $140 and will be way better than your 2.

• 1Like