Tablets

Soriak_sl

shitlord
From the website description, the GPU is in the keyboard so if you detach it, it performs worse than if it's linked, but since the surface pro doesn't have a GPU to begin with, it's probably about the same.
The entry-level Surface book (e.g. the $1,500 version) doesn't come with a dedicated GPU. So I'd think it ought to perform pretty much the same with and without the keyboard. The CPU in the entry-level Book is the same as the mid-level Pro (which is also the one you get with 8GB RAM), making that probably the best comparison.

So, based on specs, I'd say same performance, 3hrs longer battery life (extra battery in the keyboard?), a second USB 3.0 port, and the real keyboard.

ex-genj

Golden Squire
Surface book is the first actually innovative product I've seen in years. Got a 2012 MBPr which has been nothing but solid and seriously considering this especially since I don't have a full size tablet.

Malkav

French Madman
The Pro 4 having only 4GB of RAM baseline is retarted. Especially when the first option with 8GB is at 1300 bucks.

And yes, lol @ "unidentified nvidia GPU". They could at least share what type of core it is.

Luthair

Lord Nagafen Raider
The pricing on the book is pretty brutal, just short of $2000 the base model (i5 8gb 128gb) on the microsoft store.

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
I don't know where Luthair is from, but yeah $1949 in Canada is way expensive for a I5, 8GB, 128GB.

Macbook Pro with Retina Display., I5 8GB, 128GB for $1549.

They are definitely going after Apple at those price
smile.png

Luthair

Lord Nagafen Raider
I see $1499 for the model you list. Are you outside the US, or rounding heavily?
Canada sorry, thought I had put it in the message.

The sad part is that the Apple equivalent is 25% cheaper....

I don't know where Luthair is from, but yeah $1949 in Canada is way expensive for a I5, 8GB, 128GB.

Macbook Pro with Retina Display., I5 8GB, 128GB for $1549.

They are definitely going after Apple at those price
smile.png
Microsoft - you want expensive, we'll give you so expensive your kids will be bankrupt!
tongue.png

Soriak_sl

shitlord
USD 1,500 is equivalent to CAD 1,956. So at least they're not screwing you on the exchange rate. (Also, woah: the exchange rate was 1:1 not that long ago, wasn't it?)

I wonder whether the Macbook Pro was priced with the more favorable exchange rate and they couldn't adjust upward the price since. In which case buying that in Canada would be a great deal: depending on where in the country you are, it'd even pay for a plane ticket to go buy it there.

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
Yeah exchange rate is brutal right now, it was 1:1 about 2 years ago.

Sometimes, you have companies that eat part of the exchange rate to meet certain price point, but it's not really all that common.

Pharazon

Silver Knight of the Realm
Canada sorry, thought I had put it in the message.

The sad part is that the Apple equivalent is 25% cheaper....
Not really equivalent though are they?... If Apple came out with a true equivalent (which they would never do until being pushed by the rest of the industry because they'd cannibalize their own sales) you know they'd charge at least as much. Touchscreen with stylus support + tablet mode has to cost you something extra. This is a MacBook Pro + iPad Pro all in one, so the closest Apple equivalent really costs $2200+ (in USD) compared to $1500 USD.

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
My Zenbook, granted doesnt become a tablet, was $1300 for all the same specs and a GPU that I know what it is as the $2700 version. So basically an extra $1400 to have a tablet with a GPU/keyboard dock.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
USD 1,500 is equivalent to CAD 1,956. So at least they're not screwing you on the exchange rate. (Also, woah: the exchange rate was 1:1 not that long ago, wasn't it?)
We're a petro/commodity currency. The past year has suuuuuuucked. Unless you own significant investments outside the country, in which case it's been lovely. In any case, it cuts both ways. When the currency goes up, prices don't go down in lockstep. But when the currency goes down, it also takes awhile for prices to go up. At least for things that have fairly firm MSRP's.

Luthair

Lord Nagafen Raider
Oh, also apparently they decided to include an 8 MP rear facing camera so microsofties can look like morons using tablets for photography too.

Not really equivalent though are they?... If Apple came out with a true equivalent (which they would never do until being pushed by the rest of the industry because they'd cannibalize their own sales) you know they'd charge at least as much. Touchscreen with stylus support + tablet mode has to cost you something extra. This is a MacBook Pro + iPad Pro all in one, so the closest Apple equivalent really costs $2200+ (in USD) compared to $1500 USD.
Depends on what you mean, are they 1;1 features? Nope. But the market for 2-in-1s and transformers have't proven to be a large market so far, so I'd suggest that the target audience is essentially the same.

We're a petro/commodity currency. The past year has suuuuuuucked. Unless you own significant investments outside the country, in which case it's been lovely. In any case, it cuts both ways. When the currency goes up, prices don't go down in lockstep. But when the currency goes down, it also takes awhile for prices to go up. At least for things that have fairly firm MSRP's.
Only because Harper ignored other industries for the past 9-years ^.^
wink.png
I would also say typically prices go up much faster when the currency drops, when the currency increases it takes a long time for prices to follow (if ever).

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
Are there any Android tablets other than the new Samsung Tab S2 line coming out in the near future? I'm going to throw my Nexus 10 out of the window sooner or later, but reviews of the Tab S2 just aren't all that great from what I've seen. Are there any others coming out in the next few months I should be aware of?

Luthair

Lord Nagafen Raider
Are there any Android tablets other than the new Samsung Tab S2 line coming out in the near future? I'm going to throw my Nexus 10 out of the window sooner or later, but reviews of the Tab S2 just aren't all that great from what I've seen. Are there any others coming out in the next few months I should be aware of?
Google's Pixel C? From the single Asus Zenpad I've seen they seemed decent.

brekk

Dancing Dino Superstar
<Bronze Donator>
Check the Chinese tablets with Intel processors. I got last years model, new ones have CherryTrail or Core-M, 4gb RAM, 64gb storage, 2000x1500 retina screen. And either Windows 10, Android or Both.

They're also stupid cheap, like sub 300$. Onda and Teclast are the main brands. This guys blog has great information on most upcoming tablets, especially the chinese ones.

Mike Cane's xBlog

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
They're also stupid cheap, like sub 300$. Onda and Teclast are the main brands. This guys blog has great information on most upcoming tablets, especially the chinese ones.

Mike Cane??Ts xBlog
Guy has a billion posts, half abut TV shows. There a tag specifically for those Chinese tabs to search? Or just the Android or iPad Mini Clones tags?

edit: He seems to hate all of the Chinese tablets and repeatedly talks about how irrelevant they are to him and how he won't bother reviewing them. I think he's over the whole thing. He does recommend this site for that sort of news though.

Tech Tablets - Chinese Tablet Reviews and News

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
I'm not completely sold on the changes to Fire OS (overall I like it, but not sure about the FreeTime and profile tweaks), but man, Amazon is going to sell the $50 tablets by the truckload. Boy and girl bumper cases will be here Friday, just need to snag a couple of MicroSD cards.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
Google's Pixel C? From the single Asus Zenpad I've seen they seemed decent.
Yeah, don't really need a keyboard and stuff. Ended up ordering a new 8" Tab S2. Anandtech's review outlined some of it's flaws, but on the whole I don't really see anything else out there in the Android space that would be better. Mainly I like that it's nice and thin and light. Not too thrilled about the 4:3 form factor, as I've always liked the 16:10 (or 9?) on the Nexus 10 for watching movies on flights. But the Tab S2 should be better for laying on the couch reading articles/web pages because of the weight and form factor, which is probably 90% of my tablet usage day to day. Biggest problem with the Nexus 10 has always been that it's heavy as all fuck. 8" Tab S2 is less than half as heavy. Maybe I'll keep the Nexus 10 around strictly for watching movies on long flights. For whatever reason, it's still great for that, the performance issues don't seem to impact the video playback.

Column_sl

shitlord
Was thinking about getting the 512 surface book, but the testers are saying the balance on the unit is unstable. There is too much weight on the top end, and not enough grip on the keyboard.

Think I'm going to wait till the 2nd gen for this, although the tech itself is getting amazing reviews. They also tested it out on Screensavers, and it is getting 15 hours versus the max 12 they quoted.