Tablets

spronk

FPS noob
fuck I am tempted to buy the new nexus just for wireless Qi charging, that shit is Star Trek level of awesome and I have real first world problems of having to charge my nexus before watching Archer videos at bedtime. Hmm, who can I foist my nexus7 off onto as a birthday gift...

its a bummer they didn't up the CPU speed or built in memory though, woulda been nice to get a small tech bump.

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
They did beef it up. It runs the Snapdragon S4 Pro with 2 gigs of RAM now. That's the same guts as a Nexus 4.

Mageling

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Why not get a pad with LTE? Ask your service provider if you can have extra sim cards for your pad or a data only subscription - That's what I do in Europe anyway - US and Aaaa can't be that different, eh? G'luck with the surgery
smile.png
I'll have to look at the cost involved. I think it would be an extra $20/mo to get a data only SIM? I want to see if this smaller tablet would be worth having full-time internet access, since I generally only use it at home, or if I'm running Citrix while remote.

Thanks for the positive wishes.
smile.png

You have a smartphone, an ipad mini, and a work tablet?
I had a Surface Pro dropped on me in place of a Lenovo laptop that we gave to a provider. Some of the apps we use aren't compatible with IE10, and there isn't an MS sanctioned way to downgrade to IE9 that's required for a bunch of really shitty old software. The healthcare industry is horrible in that regard, either requiring bleeding edge hardware, or not being upgraded for 5+ years, so I inherited a slight upgrade over my older Lenovo x230.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Honestly, I don't ever see a need to get 3G/4G in a an android tablet, if you have an android phone. It's beyond easy to tether your tablet to your phone via bluetooth that doesn't even require rooting, or in some situations doesn't even require an additional app(depending on your hardware). I don't think anyone would ever be traveling with their tablet and not also have their phone with them.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Tablet data is cheaper, usually. I've trying to get to get a data-only calling plan working so I can reclassify my smartphone as a tablet, but the 3G around here sucks so bad, I can't even make a phone call using a codec specifically designed for this(iLBC).

Really wish I could figure out how voice calls over 3G differ from data. No dropped packets and the noise reduction is excellent on a voice call.

Uh, this might belong in the other thread.

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
Anyone pick up a nexus 7 2 yet? Thinking of getting one but wanted to get some opinions first.

Braen

<Medals Crew>
yep: confirmed

But honestly, the Nexus 7 is still probably the best 7 inch tablet our there. Until now.

http://www.engadget.com/2013/07/26/n...on-sale-early/

from the article_sl said:
A tipster has told us that the latest Nexus 7 from Asus and Google will hit Best Buy stores today, and a pre-order we placed earlier for the device seems to confirm that. We put our money down for one when the order page first went up, and while the confirmation originally said it would arrive on the original July 30th launch date, it's now telling us that we can expect our tablet later today. That jibes with info we were given by a source claiming to be the manager of a Best Buy store. He said that while pre-orders started yesterday, "there were few (of them) in my region," meaning that "if you are present at a (Best Buy) location today at opening, you have a good chance of buying the tablet." He added that some stores don't have stock yet due to agreements with Google, but pre-orders are still possible at those locations. Until we receive confirmation, however, you may not want to make a long journey to one of the outlets. Meanwhile, we've reached out to both Google and Best Buy.

Update: Best Buy has touched base, telling us "we can confirm that the Nexus is available at all Best Buy and Best Buy Mobile stores and BestBuy.com now."

Drew

Molten Core Raider
Got mine at Gamestop yesterday. Performance wise I played with Antutu bench and it got a 19,800 score. Quite impressive since currently the only thing that gets higher is the Galaxy S 4 (24K) and HTC One (23k) at stock.

I use to have an Asus Transformer Prime (Tegra 3) but got rid of it because web browsing was so choppy and slow. So far the new Nexus 7 is much better for browsing in Chrome with no slow downs yet.

They moved the front camera from the center to the right of the tablet. This pretty much means new cases and screen protectors if you care about the cameras.

So far it's honestly the first Android tablet I have seen with a really good browsing experience and since that was my main purpose for a tablet I'm liking this one a lot.

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
Got mine at Gamestop yesterday. Performance wise I played with Antutu bench and it got a 19,800 score. Quite impressive since currently the only thing that gets higher is the Galaxy S 4 (24K) and HTC One (23k) at stock.

I use to have an Asus Transformer Prime (Tegra 3) but got rid of it because web browsing was so choppy and slow. So far the new Nexus 7 is much better for browsing in Chrome with no slow downs yet.

They moved the front camera from the center to the right of the tablet. This pretty much means new cases and screen protectors if you care about the cameras.

So far it's honestly the first Android tablet I have seen with a really good browsing experience and since that was my main purpose for a tablet I'm liking this one a lot.
I thought that since they thinned up the bezel on the side you would need a new case regardless

Luthair

Lord Nagafen Raider
Try Firefox with AdBlock+ I find killing the ads and the various tracking scripts makes browsing much faster and nicer as there are fewer things to accidentally click on. Start time (probably due to adblock compiling the block list) is definitely slower than mobile chrome.

Hutchy

Lord Nagafen Raider
UK launch is September 13th. Lame. WTB a good way of importing that doesn't cost the earth.

mixtilplix

Lord Nagafen Raider
I wish noscript would start development of its android Firefox version again. Adblock's alright but it still does not block google ads.

Drew

Molten Core Raider
I thought that since they thinned up the bezel on the side you would need a new case regardless
Some of the old leather cases might have worked still (maybe a a little loose) but it seems that the new one is actually taller than the old one so doesn't matter either way.

ringer_sl

shitlord
Just out of interest, does anyone have any experience with the Blackberry Playbook? I know there was a lot of noise about a lack of apps, but now that you can sideload that shouldn't be a biggie any more. I had a play with one a while back and liked the look and the feel of it, seemed snappy enough. Price is also reasonable, $167.95 for the 64gb version at the moment through amazon. Any thoughts appreciated...

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
I know the playbook isn't getting BB10. I also know the Crackberry forums is quite a depressing place nowadays.

Get a Nexus 7 and you'll never regret it.

Nester

Vyemm Raider
Just out of interest, does anyone have any experience with the Blackberry Playbook? I know there was a lot of noise about a lack of apps, but now that you can sideload that shouldn't be a biggie any more. I had a play with one a while back and liked the look and the feel of it, seemed snappy enough. Price is also reasonable, $167.95 for the 64gb version at the moment through amazon. Any thoughts appreciated...
I got a free play book from a family member who hated it and got an iPad. I have not fired it up in 6 months and here I am reading this thread for a new tablet. I use my iphone4s over the BB everyday. Boot up time is crazy, has huge power drain, apps are meh. Screen is not bad for YouTube and browsing, however I can not leave it on long or the power drains and 99/100 times I'd rather look on my pc or iPhone than wait the 3 min+ boot time