Tablets

Pharazon

Silver Knight of the Realm
I still love my surface, I hope they shrink the 3 back down towards the size of the 1 and 2 cause I find the 1 to be about as big and heavy as I want a tablet to be.
If you don't want to carry a bigger screen around that's one thing, but the SP3 is actually lighter than the SP1 and 2. Still, I'm guessing they won't totally scrap the smaller form factor cause there are plenty of others who prefer it.

Creslin

Trakanon Raider
If you don't want to carry a bigger screen around that's one thing, but the SP3 is actually lighter than the SP1 and 2. Still, I'm guessing they won't totally scrap the smaller form factor cause there are plenty of others who prefer it.
I might like it once I use it, lighter and thinner are big pluses, only had my 1 for like 16 months now so I want to get a bit more life out of it before I buy another. They have quite a bit of room to improve it with just bezel size tweaks too, mine has massive like 1 inch bezels, its prolly a 12.5 inch device on the diagonal.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Looks like the new Nexus 9 is pretty disappointing, especially considering the price

Nexus 9 review roundup: swing and a miss - The Tech Report

I'm not real happy at the direction Google has gone with it's new Nexus phones and tablets. They're too expensive for what you get. Everyone was always ok before with having a piece of hardware that was solid, but not on the absolute bleeding edge of tech for a very reasonable price. Now it seems like the hardware is a tad behind and the pricing is like it's a top-end device. Not a good combo.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
So now that the Nexus refresh bombed, what the next best tablets? The wife and I are looking to replace our Nexus 7(2012) now that they are getting a bit slow. Though, no idea why they are, I literally only read and surf the web on it. Anyway, we'd like something larger. She wants a bigger screen for watching shows while exercising and I imagine a larger screen would help for playing Hearthstone for myself. But not so big it's uncomfortable to hold in one hand. Anything that fits that description?

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
I got my wife a Samsung Note 10.1 tablet a year or so ago and It's great. The stylus is actually fairly useful on a tablet of that size(as opposed to my Note 3 phone, which I NEVER use the stylus)

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Hmmm, haven't liked Samsung's phones, always feel cheap. Battery cover on my gnex was always loose and the tabs started to break off.

What's the difference between Note and Tab, just that stylus?

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Yep, that's it, the stylus. When I snagged the Note it was a refurb that was cheaper than the tab, so that was a no-brainer at the time, but I probably wouldn't pay significantly more for the note vs a normal tablet, but if they're the same price(or close) then why not?

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Don't really know a lot about tablets but I want to pick up an Android one to have portable Hearthstone after they release it for the platform next month. Any ideas on good bang for buck? Was hoping for a $100-$150 price range, but probably willing to go a little higher. Was looking at 7" galaxy tabs, about $170ish on NewEgg, and comparable.

Silence_sl

shitlord
Don't really know a lot about tablets but I want to pick up an Android one to have portable Hearthstone after they release it for the platform next month. Any ideas on good bang for buck? Was hoping for a $100-$150 price range, but probably willing to go a little higher. Was looking at 7" galaxy tabs, about $170ish on NewEgg, and comparable.
Hard to beat 2013 Nexus 7.

Kovaks

Mr. Poopybutthole
I love my shield tablet, great for everyday tablet stuff super fast and great batttery, and also good for streaming games from my pc, I was skeptical at first but works really well. It has the tegra K1 in it like the nexus 9 but is 8" and cheaper, should be on lollipop by end of month too. I will admit the wifi can be a bit funny on occasion and the first batch had cracking problems, but Nvidia RMA'd my 16gb WIFI version in less than a week and sent me the 32gb LTE version so no real complaints. If you are willing to spend a few hundred and PC game with and Nvidia card then might be worth looking at.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I'm still fairly happy with my two year old Nexus 10. I like the size and the quality. It is starting to feel a touch slower but that may just be perception. I hope to not have to replace it for a few years.

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Seems like the 2013 Nexus 7 is indeed the deal I'm looking for. Kicking around the idea of waiting to see if there's any Black Friday/Cyber Monday deals on it though.

Any recommendations on cases? Do I even need one? I always get Otterbox defenders for my phones, but I'm not sure I really see my self walking around with the tablet in one hand all over the place like my phone. Probably be sitting down when I use it most of the time.

Silence_sl

shitlord
Seems like the 2013 Nexus 7 is indeed the deal I'm looking for. Kicking around the idea of waiting to see if there's any Black Friday/Cyber Monday deals on it though.

Any recommendations on cases? Do I even need one? I always get Otterbox defenders for my phones, but I'm not sure I really see my self walking around with the tablet in one hand all over the place like my phone. Probably be sitting down when I use it most of the time.
Price is already about as low as it's going to get. I've got a Moko case on mine, which fattens it up well enough. It's too slim without it.

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Yeah, the 16gb for $180 on Amazon seemed like my best bet new, I was torn between hoping for some discount in a couple weeks and just pulling the trigger while they still exist. I imagine at some point they will all be gone.

Screen protector, or is the glass pretty scratch proof?

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Glass is very scratch proof. I have an original nexus 7 (2012) and my 1 year old pounds on it all the time and carries around and there isn't a scratch on it

Just curious why you decided to go with the Nexus 7 over the Shield tablet. I'm eyeing a replacement for my 1st gen Samsung Galaxy Tab and hadn't even considered the Nexus 7.