Tales of Arise

Asmadai

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
My body is ready to devote however long it takes to 100% this bitch.

Tales games are my shit.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I didn't even bother to preorder it until today because of how shitty that demo was. ACG's review-in-progress sold me on it though. One thing I found amusing when I went to place my order is Gamestop is doing a 9PM (Thurs) pick-up which was intended to be for the latest wokeball cash grab edition but the dude at the store told me they ended up with far more preorders of Tales instead.

Vorph

Xbox was easy choice for me. Smart Delivery makes it simple if I want to play it on my X1X when not at home, and Bandai Namco insists on shitting up every PC release with Denuvo. (Edit: NM, it seems Bandai came to their senses a while ago.)

Last edited:

Raes

Vyemm Raider
Per that review, a game releasing on 2 gens of both consoles, yet the PC version only supports Steam controllers? WTF?

Derkon

Trakanon Raider
Per that review, a game releasing on 2 gens of both consoles, yet the PC version only supports Steam controllers? WTF?

I think it was something on his end. Other reviews haven't had the issue and it lists full controller support on the Steam page.

• 1Like

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>

I know Steam controller reporting is wonky and most stuff will “support” a Dual Shock or Xbox one way or another, but I was going off this link before I bought today:

Was going to mention earlier when Vorph mentioned Denuvo.

• 1Like

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>

I'm sure this isn't correct, but if it is they will be crucified for that and be forced to support other controllers very quickly. That'll piss me off for sure. I only play with PS4 controller..

• 1Like

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
No game would have "Steam controller" support only, the Steam controller isn't even in production anymore. Plus Steam itself lets you emulate controllers however you want. The store page mentions full controller support, and the link above mentions they even have the proper controller prompts(so ABXY for Xbox and X/O/square/triangle for PS which usually have to be patched in instead).

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
My body is ready to devote however long it takes to 100% this bitch.

Tales games are my shit.

Same.

That video above is very weird. The guy talking about the amazing music yet not liking past tales games all that much.

Motoi Sakuraba has been a long-stay in tales games music, and his music is always pretty fucking incredible.

Tales of Zesteria forever on music for me, though it's ALL fucking great. Huge Motoi fanboy.

Raes

Vyemm Raider
Thanks for the detailed responses. Just wanted to make sure, because I like being able to lean back and use my controller when playing these type of games. I hadn't looked too much into the game, just enough to think I might enjoy it. Love the cell shaded style, but prefer well done turn based to this jrpg action combat craze. And I do agree with that reviewer about your companions constantly shouting during combat. Noticed that in a gameplay video and it seemed a bit annoying.

Uriel

Blackwing Lair Raider
I know Steam controller reporting is wonky and most stuff will “support” a Dual Shock or Xbox one way or another, but I was going off this link before I bought today:

That's awesome. Gonna play it on PC with PS5 controller.

Vorph

Ah weird, I could have sworn Enhanced Steam had a Denuvo warning on Tales of Arise when I went to the page to see if there was going to be a PC demo. I barely use my PC anymore though so it wasn't really in the running to begin with anyway.

And yeah, I highly doubt the controller thing is a universal problem; more likely something screwy in his Steam config.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Berseria was pretty cool, although the story is very anime, in fact most of them have very anime tropes and stuff. It at least starts a bit different than the usual "a young boy in a random village begins his adventure" kind of trope. The combat is what makes Tales though, and Berseria was great for that, imo the best in the modern modern(as in the 3D systems). Every character feels very unique to play, while in some of the older ones, you have not nearly as much depth into each character's combat so it feels a bit boring.

That said if you're not sure and assuming you don't want to pirate, getting Berseria on a deep sale for 10bucks or whatever is definitely a much better idea than buying this new, although this looks like it makes a lot of improvements. That or waiting a few months for a sale on this, Bandai does pretty good sales usually, so in like 6months I expect this to be available for 25$ or something like that.

Yeah, I grabbed Berseria for $10.

The anime tropes jumped off the page with this demo. Hypercompetent and stoic female belittling her feckless yet jovial male partner? Check

That trope is on the same tier of annoyance as "male protagonist who has no idea that women like him and has never had a boner". The worst of them all though is "female character who flies off the handle randomly and punches a nearby male character"

But at least these games don't make their female characters into portly masculine brawlers with short hair and baggy clothes like American developers do

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
That's awesome. Gonna play it on PC with PS5 controller.
Windows has native support for the PS5 controller? I hadn't even thought of connecting mine since you had to use some other software to get the ps4 controller to work and even then it wasn't as good as xbox.

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
Windows has native support for the PS5 controller? I hadn't even thought of connecting mine since you had to use some other software to get the ps4 controller to work and even then it wasn't as good as xbox.

You do not need to use any software whatsoever for the PS4 controller to work. I sure didn't. Some people use ds4windows but I don't. It's just plug and go for me.

I also have a bluetooth dongle and play wirelessly without issue. Vibration, etc all works.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Yeah PS4 works fine now, need a dongle for bluetooth though can't just work it directly I believe, or obviously can just plug it in. Some indie/older games might not recognize it properly however, but if you launch Steam first, you can use the Steam gamepad support to basically make it work with anything. That shit's like the old weird ass solutions that made Windows think it was a xbox gamepad, it'll make it work on any type of games as a generic gamepad if you need to, and you can reconfigure all the buttons or add macros or rapid fire or whatever in there too it's great. PS5 has even better support I think.

I've only used DS3/4/5 pads since I've never owned a Xbox, and while it was kinda shit on XP/7, with Win10 and Steam gamepad support changes it hasn't been a concern in like 5+years. Only issue is as I mentionned a lot of games, they use Xbox prompts by default and don't have a toggle or a detection for playstation prompts instead, so you often need a 3rd party patch thing, and some games it can't be done, but games have been getting a bit better about it(especially since it doesn't cost them fucking anything to add usually). Even xbox pprompts though it's not that bad once you get used to it, but took me way too many years to get used to the buttons being different than the Nintendo ones(largely because I don't play games THAT often with xbox prompts and only for short stints, so it took a while to overwrite years of my childhood playing NES/SNES and then later DS/3DS).

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Can I just interject for one second and mention that it is 2021 and the desktop Steam application is fucking worthless. The Windows 10 app store may actually be better. Maybe not but it is neck and neck. Don't even start on the mobile app. At least it works most of the time. I'm afraid any updates would make it even worse.

Janx

<Silver Donator>
Can I just interject for one second and mention that it is 2021 and the desktop Steam application is fucking worthless. The Windows 10 app store may actually be better. Maybe not but it is neck and neck. Don't even start on the mobile app. At least it works most of the time. I'm afraid any updates would make it even worse.
Whatever you're taking..stop.

• 1Solidarity

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Comic Book Spinning GIF