Tales of Arise

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
Think I might want to get this on the PS5 compared to the PC. Usually I'd still get games on PC compared to a console even if the PC chugs a bit, but frame instability with a game with fast paced combat that includes blocking is iffy. I plan to get a new computer, but not until next year, and my current one only has a 1080GTX. Still runs most games at 60fps maxed at 1080p, but increasing resolution to 4k drops most games to 30-40fps at max.

Downside to that is that PS5 games are expensive here. Cost of Tales of Arise converted to USD (digital).

Normal Steam = $68.76
Normal PS5 = $91.37

Deluxe steam = $91,71
Deluxe PS5 = $111,23

Ultimate steam = $103,19
Ultimate PS5 = $122,71

• 1Rustled
Reactions: 1 user

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Yeah PS4 works fine now, need a dongle for bluetooth though can't just work it directly I believe, or obviously can just plug it in. Some indie/older games might not recognize it properly however, but if you launch Steam first, you can use the Steam gamepad support to basically make it work with anything. That shit's like the old weird ass solutions that made Windows think it was a xbox gamepad, it'll make it work on any type of games as a generic gamepad if you need to, and you can reconfigure all the buttons or add macros or rapid fire or whatever in there too it's great. PS5 has even better support I think.

I've only used DS3/4/5 pads since I've never owned a Xbox, and while it was kinda shit on XP/7, with Win10 and Steam gamepad support changes it hasn't been a concern in like 5+years. Only issue is as I mentionned a lot of games, they use Xbox prompts by default and don't have a toggle or a detection for playstation prompts instead, so you often need a 3rd party patch thing, and some games it can't be done, but games have been getting a bit better about it(especially since it doesn't cost them fucking anything to add usually). Even xbox pprompts though it's not that bad once you get used to it, but took me way too many years to get used to the buttons being different than the Nintendo ones(largely because I don't play games THAT often with xbox prompts and only for short stints, so it took a while to overwrite years of my childhood playing NES/SNES and then later DS/3DS).
Not that I've seen so far, but I only use a controller on PC for Genshin Impact, and the PS5 controller straight up does not work in that game on PC. I think Genshin sees the controller at the sound device even if Windows is using the proper sound output. Connect the xbox controller and it works instantly.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Can I just interject for one second and mention that it is 2021 and the desktop Steam application is fucking worthless. The Windows 10 app store may actually be better. Maybe not but it is neck and neck. Don't even start on the mobile app. At least it works most of the time. I'm afraid any updates would make it even worse.
What issues do you have with the Steam app?

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
What issues do you have with the Steam app?

Desktop or mobile? Personally I think they're both crap and feel very unresponsive and dated. More than that I was under the impression this was a pretty well agreed on stance and expected others to just agree and then I wouldn't have to come up with specific complaints :oops:

Soygen

<Nazi Janitors>
The PC app, mostly. I've always thought it was 'good enough'.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
The PC app, mostly. I've always thought it was 'good enough'.

I dislike that everything is a web front end, if that is the way to describe it. For whatever reason I get broken links, very slow load times, and it just seems poorly implemented and a remnant of the past. Also dislike how things are organized when viewing game's store page. The links to updates, news, discussions is buried on the left hand side towards the bottom. Browsing through videos / pictures is cludgy and irritating.

The update to the library seemed not terrible and a game's library page has links more front and center.

Could be just me though and a culmination of little annoyances that always make me wish for some type of overhaul. Then again any update would probably be terrible and include way too many flashy things. Faith in them to actually produce something improved is not high.

Oh well, 3 hours to go or so!

Malkav

French Madman
If you get annoyed by the Steam client, just never launch the bullshit Epic Game Store shit client.

Anyway, pre-loading right now, stuck in the countryside on shitty internet, so that's going to take a while. Hopefully I can play tomorrow evening.

• 1Like

Soygen

<Nazi Janitors>
Man, I thought this was on Xbox GamePass but it's Tales of Vesperia. Hmmm.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
I'm going in almost 100% blind. The only video / review / anything I've watched related to the game is the 8 Things To Get Started that Arekkz put out simply b/c I don't hate the guy and his videos are usually short and to the point. He also seemed to have edited the video to avoid any spoilers.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
I'm going in almost 100% blind. The only video / review / anything I've watched related to the game is the 8 Things To Get Started that Arekkz put out simply b/c I don't hate the guy and his videos are usually short and to the point. He also seemed to have edited the video to avoid any spoilers.

Good video. He did indeed blur out names of quests and such. Very spoiler free.

To avoid in game spoilers also remember to skip the intro video when the game starts and look away when it triggers ingame. The intro videos in Tales games are often quite large spoilers in terms of enemies, characters you meet and even major plot events.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Hmm I don't know how true his tip about sidequests and skits is. They might have changed heavily from previous Tales, but generally speaking Tales have a TON of missables, due to time related availability. For example you have to go back to city 2 to talk to some guy to get a quest chain before doing chapter 4 because chapter 4 destroys city 2 and the NPC is not available anymore/doesn't have the quest anymore, this kind of stuff. Now for the most part they're not vital usually(although every now and then it's related to your ultimate weapon and such) but it's still a very common thing in Tales. Like he says you can see Skits you haven't seen at a campfire, but what if seeing a skit unlocks another skit in that region(which is very common in Tales), would you also get the follow-up skit or would you need to go back to the region to "proc" it before it appears in the campfire? I'm curious if they did a 180° on this and just removed most/all missables from this game, but not convinced. I'll probably be doing all sidequests as they come up anyway.

Rest of the tips honestly felt very superfluous if you've played a Tales before. You can change chars in combat(I guess the fact you can switch chars from out of your team isn't as common though so that's nice), you can use Artes manually(yours and the other chars'), you should explore dungeons fully to get all the chests(who doesn't do that in like every game? Especially when the dungeons are generally just long corridors). Interestingly he doesn't mention you don't need a healer and can rely on items instead, which tends to be a thing in most Tales at least until late/post game(items give % based healing and so are very strong to keep up, although they're usually limited to using 15 of each type in a single fight).

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Hmm I don't know how true his tip about sidequests and skits is. They might have changed heavily from previous Tales, but generally speaking Tales have a TON of missables, due to time related availability. For example you have to go back to city 2 to talk to some guy to get a quest chain before doing chapter 4 because chapter 4 destroys city 2 and the NPC is not available anymore/doesn't have the quest anymore, this kind of stuff. Now for the most part they're not vital usually(although every now and then it's related to your ultimate weapon and such) but it's still a very common thing in Tales. Like he says you can see Skits you haven't seen at a campfire, but what if seeing a skit unlocks another skit in that region(which is very common in Tales), would you also get the follow-up skit or would you need to go back to the region to "proc" it before it appears in the campfire? I'm curious if they did a 180° on this and just removed most/all missables from this game, but not convinced. I'll probably be doing all sidequests as they come up anyway.

Rest of the tips honestly felt very superfluous if you've played a Tales before. You can change chars in combat(I guess the fact you can switch chars from out of your team isn't as common though so that's nice), you can use Artes manually(yours and the other chars'), you should explore dungeons fully to get all the chests(who doesn't do that in like every game? Especially when the dungeons are generally just long corridors). Interestingly he doesn't mention you don't need a healer and can rely on items instead, which tends to be a thing in most Tales at least until late/post game(items give % based healing and so are very strong to keep up, although they're usually limited to using 15 of each type in a single fight).

Was it Berseria or umm... now I can't remember the order, where you could buy the skits in post-game shop which fixed any of them being missable?

I just relinked it b/c. Not sure he was trying to be definitive or just helpful to anyone new to the series. Hopefully it isn't bad info. But yeah, I definitely didn't know about the swapping characters out of the team. Probably would have assumed you couldn't.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Was it Berseria or umm... now I can't remember the order, where you could buy the skits in post-game shop which fixed any of them being missable?

I just relinked it b/c. Not sure he was trying to be definitive or just helpful to anyone new to the series. Hopefully it isn't bad info. But yeah, I definitely didn't know about the swapping characters out of the team. Probably would have assumed you couldn't.
I guess looking at Berseria posts, there wasn't much that was actually missable, guess I remember it wrong. Last I played was Vesperia and had a bunch of missable stuff. So wouldn't be too much of a surprise if there's no/few missables in this too. Still probably a good idea to do sidequests asap for rewards that are relevant to where you are in the story though.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
I guess looking at Berseria posts, there wasn't much that was actually missable, maybe I remember it wrong. Last I played was Vesperia and had a bunch of missable stuff. So wouldn't be too much of a surprise if there's no/few missables in this too. Still probably a good idea to do sidequests asap for rewards that are relevant to where you are in the story though.

Yeah for sure, no doubt that is what I'll do also. Definitely the other ones had missable skits and stuff so you aren't remembering completely wrong. I just couldn't remember if Berseria changed it to be not as missable or if it was the previous one, blah blah

Janx

<Silver Donator>
What time is this launching? Is it a midnight EST release or more of a "noon on 9/10" kind of thing (for PC).

Edit: Well shit NM looks like its already available.

Last edited:

Blueweed

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
C&P from steam public review, not tried yet

Got my controller working and the game is SO DAMN GOOD
My controller fix is as follows

Opt out of steam beta:
Steam -> Settings -> Account -> Beta Participation: NON - Opt out of all beta programs

Have Steam Input selected:

Click on Tales of Arise, click the cog on the right hand side.

Properties -> Controller -> Enable Steam Input

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
What a clusterfuck. My Gamestop ended up not receiving any of their Xbox preorder copies. PS5 scarcity worked in my favor though and I was able to switch to a copy for that since everyone else who got shafted had to grab it for PS4/switch to digital/wait until next week.

Anyway if anyone buys it for Xbox after the preorder window is up and wants a code, send me a PM.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Been playing since it launched, beat first boss, so far it's definitely very good, the bump in graphical quality makes the game feel a lot less "cheap", story is alright nothing too big happened so far, difficulty seems proper on Moderate(first boss took a while, drained all CP but still had a bunch of items so not too easy or too hard), new combat systems are interesting although I'm never too big on the "main char" and usually will pick the caster char so will see how that one works.

Had 0 issues with gamepad just worked right away with PS prompts. The control scheme is a bit weird though, different than the usual Tales I want to say? Took a little bit to get used to but otherwise works fine.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
I think DSWindows or whatever is keeping my prompts as Xbox. May try closing it out tomorrow and testing. Had to rush girlfriend to Urgent Care so interrupted my night of playing. Kind of inconsiderate of her tbh. At least I didn’t use a vacation day.

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
Can I just interject for one second and mention that it is 2021 and the desktop Steam application is fucking worthless. The Windows 10 app store may actually be better. Maybe not but it is neck and neck. Don't even start on the mobile app. At least it works most of the time. I'm afraid any updates would make it even worse.

Dude, lay off the meth

• 1Solidarity