TAYLOR SWIFT | THE ERAS TOUR (2023)

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
See, that's the thing entirely. I would be dead. Assuming all the choices are hers or a bunch of female pop singers in a similar style -- I think I could safely recognize the difference between a male and female voice or someone like PJ Harvey and Taylor Swift.

This is what fucking annoys me about this entire conversation. You people cannot imagine anyone existing without having this knowledge of her music. It's insanity. It's not about manliness despite my gay joke. I guarantee there's music in my collection that plenty of people would consider plenty gay.

You really think everyone on this forum would pass that test, don't you?
Probably a bad test, because yes you could trick most of us with someone that sounds like her or same style etc. But I'm willing to wager you have heard every single one of her top songs. I have never once in my life purposefully listened to a taylor swift song but I certainly can recognize them. I don't eat McDonalds and can't recall ever being in one, but I'm also not going to pretend I don't know whats on the menu.

• 2Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 2 users

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
Probably a bad test, because yes you could trick most of us with someone that sounds like her or same style etc. But I'm willing to wager you have heard every single one of her top songs. I have never once in my life purposefully listened to a taylor swift song but I certainly can recognize them. I don't eat McDonalds and can't recall ever being in one, but I'm also not going to pretend I don't know whats on the menu.
Yeah, man, you're just wrong. I mean, yeah this is a pointless discussion because there's no way to actually prove it one way or another, but that's so. Put her 10 most famous songs along with 10 of her songs that almost no one ever listens to and I would have about a 50-50 shot. Well, maybe slightly better since I listened to Shake it Off during this thread.

This McDonald's analogy is terrible because most fast food hamburger joints have many of the same options. There's plenty of McDonald's commercials and ads out there. I definitely don't remember seeing any Taylor Swift commercials. Could you eat cheeseburgers from 10 different fast food restaurants, having never eaten at any, and know for sure which one was McDonald's? That seems like a more apt analogy.

I just can't fathom where you think all this frequent enough intake of her music would be coming from if you don't listen to it or are around people who listen to it. Explain that for me. I found a list of some of her music that was licensed for other media and I've watched almost none of it so it can't be that (which is not surprising since I'm sure her music is appropriate for certain genres I don't normally watch). How do you know?

I'm not some unicorn, either. At least five other people in this very thread said a similar thing. After the original argument in this thread I asked some people I knew if they could name five Taylor Swift songs and they couldn't.

The world is a big place and there's a lot of competing interests in it.

Last edited:
  • 3Like

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
Yeah, man, you're just wrong. I mean, yeah this is a pointless discussion because there's no way to actually prove it one way or another, but that's so. Put her 10 most famous songs along with 10 of her songs that almost no one ever listens to and I would have about a 50-50 shot. Well, maybe slightly better since I listened to Shake it Off during this thread.

This McDonald's analogy is terrible because most fast food hamburger joints have many of the same options. There's plenty of McDonald's commercials and ads out there. I definitely don't remember seeing any Taylor Swift commercials. Could you eat cheeseburgers from 10 different fast food restaurants, having never eaten at any, and know for sure which one was McDonald's? That seems like a more apt analogy.

I just can't fathom where you think all this frequent enough intake of her music would be coming from if you don't listen to it or are around people who listen to it. Explain that for me. I found a list of some of her music that was licensed for other media and I've watched almost none of it so it can't be that (which is not surprising since I'm sure her music is appropriate for certain genres I don't normally watch).

I'm not some unicorn, either. At least five other people in this very thread said a similar thing. After the original argument in this thread I asked some people I knew if they could name five Taylor Swift songs and they couldn't.

The world is a big place and there's a lot of competing interests in it.
I concede with this response. So you win this particular tete-a-tete and I'm also going to concede this one as well before I get any closer .
Screenshot 2023-09-24 151841.jpg

• 1Dislike
Reactions: 1 user

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
See, that's the thing entirely. I would be dead. Assuming all the choices are hers or a bunch of female pop singers in a similar style -- I think I could safely recognize the difference between a male and female voice or someone like PJ Harvey and Taylor Swift.

This is what fucking annoys me about this entire conversation. You people cannot imagine anyone existing without having this knowledge of her music. It's insanity. It's not about manliness despite my gay joke. I guarantee there's music in my collection that plenty of people would consider plenty gay.

You really think everyone on this forum would pass that test, don't you?

I don't know much of anything about Taylor Swift either. Not sure why this is a controversial thing to say. I'm certain I've heard her many times on the radio, in stores, etc and not known it, or maybe had an inkling but not known for sure. Can't really tell her apart from any other modern female singers because I haven't listened to any of them enough. Shakira I'd recognize, Ariana Grande I'd probably recognize, cause their voices are distinctive enough. Swift though I would probably have issues naming more than 3 songs. Let's see... Never Ever Ever Getting Back Together was her right? That's one.

I guess I know two because there's also this video:

Weird how this one Taylor Swift video syncs perfectly with "Weapon of Choice" by Fatboy Slim. Like, really weird. I doubt it was on purpose so that's some crazy coincidence. She's kinda hot here. Probably the only time I've ever found her hot from the times I've seen her in passing.

TLDR it's okay to not know much of anything about Taylor Swift and plenty of people probably don't. This "you're a sheltered weirdo if you haven't seen/heard/played X" stuff is one of the most annoying things about Nerd Culture.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
I think there's a lot of talking past each other going on in this thread. Does Dick know her music? no. Has he been exposed to it? yes. Either in a store, the mall, passing in the car on the radio, on a commercial, whatever. We've all been exposed to it. There's no chance you've never heard any of her work unless you live in a pre-electrical mud hut in Africa. That doesn't mean he knows her music and is denying something, it means he doesn't follow her, or pull her up on a playlist. This is entirely possible.

I've followed her a bit because I think she's a brilliant business person, and a decent song writer. I don't particularly care for her music, but I can understand and appreciate the appeal.

That said, I find it peculiar that she is so successful. She does not have the vocal chops of Whitney Housten, Christina Agulera, Madonna, or Lady Gaga. She is simply not as good a singer. I also don't find her physically attractive even a little bit. I'm willing to bet that in ten years no one will be talking about her. The others will have more lasting legacies while I think her legacy will crumble into pop-music short term memory.

• 1Like

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
i recently talked to a festival booker/maker, (he just did the ashley mcbride one happening now that is causing so much traffic i had to actually uber eats last night, btw idk if ashley is a dude or girl either) anyway he says swift is the biggest to come of nashville, she doesn't even take the 1 spot, she'd take 1-5, miley would come in at 6

• 1Like

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
i recently talked to a festival booker/maker, (he just did the ashley mcbride one happening now that is causing so much traffic i had to actually uber eats last night, btw idk if ashley is a dude or girl either) anyway he says swift is the biggest to come of nashville, she doesn't even take the 1 spot, she'd take 1-5, miley would come in at 6
This is what I was saying with my post. Did you know she had the top 10 songs at the same time? Every single one, from 1 to 10. She also dethroned The Beatles who had 9 (tied with Drake, of all people). That's fucking insane.

Like I said, I'm not a fan. I know a bunch of her songs because they're in everything, my wife listens to her sometimes, etc. I just didn't realize how big of a mega star she is. She's basically crushed almost every single music related record there is.

Also, that other post that Tuco had (Ready for it?) is pretty nuts, how she's had success is several genres of music. Country? Pop? R&B? Rock? And even crazier is that she writes her own music. She's not just another random pop star shitting out some lyrics to some producer's algorithm'd beat that will have maximum pop impact.

Honestly, the more I read about her, the more I'm intrigued. It's no wonder younger women obsess over her. She's pretty fucking impressive.

• 3Like

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
I think there's a lot of talking past each other going on in this thread. Does Dick know her music? no. Has he been exposed to it? yes. Either in a store, the mall, passing in the car on the radio, on a commercial, whatever. We've all been exposed to it. There's no chance you've never heard any of her work unless you live in a pre-electrical mud hut in Africa. That doesn't mean he knows her music and is denying something, it means he doesn't follow her, or pull her up on a playlist. This is entirely possible.

I've followed her a bit because I think she's a brilliant business person, and a decent song writer. I don't particularly care for her music, but I can understand and appreciate the appeal.

That said, I find it peculiar that she is so successful. She does not have the vocal chops of Whitney Housten, Christina Agulera, Madonna, or Lady Gaga. She is simply not as good a singer. I also don't find her physically attractive even a little bit. I'm willing to bet that in ten years no one will be talking about her. The others will have more lasting legacies while I think her legacy will crumble into pop-music short term memory.
Women know her music. She's been a phenomena for 14 years. Chicks young and old talk about her all the time. I don't expect dudes to know her stuff on their own, but if you interact with women on a daily basis, you should have at least a working knowledge of who she is, what are her big songs and what those sound like. But what the Hell do I know, for whatever reason I had gone 23 years never having heard a song called "it wasn't me" by somebody called Shaggy. It's all over the radio now, I heard it on playing somebody's car stereo and it keeps getting played on the local oldies station. I thought it was something new and wondered why the oldies station played it. I googled "it wasn't me song" and holy shit, it's a huge hit song from 2000? I guess anything is possible.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Honestly, the more I read about her, the more I'm intrigued. It's no wonder younger women obsess over her. She's pretty fucking impressive.
I dont think theres too much to it, shes extremely palatable to modern women who are the biggest consoomers to ever exist.

Attractive but not too attractive to make it seem like shes stuck up or living in another universe
Makes catchy easy to listen songs about relationships and breakups
Doesnt say anything controversial
Only says things that msm can cheer her on for saying like shitting on Trump

Her and her people have handled her image extremely well.

• 1Like

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
the dude also said (obviously he knows this cuz it's his industry) the titans broke attendance records at nissan stadium (i guess faggot ball and the titans is really popular now), but swift was holding the number 1 spot in their own stadium until just recently

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
Cookies and karma are now punishing me for my smartassery. I've never once seen Taylor swift mentioned in my twitter feeds in 5 yrs now today just saw for the second time. This is your fucking fault DickTrickle DickTrickle .

• 3Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 3 users

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
Man, what a weird thread. And I feel bad for reading the whole thing.

Anyway, I did some reading on Taylor Swift. I didn't realize how prolific she's been. I obviously know a bunch of her songs just because I live on the planet, even if I'm not even remotely a fan. All these "I've never heard her songs" people are crazy though. She's literally the most successful female musician in history. Most number one hits? By a mile. Most top albums? You bet. Most awards? Trounced Whitney Houston. This would be like saying you've never heard a Madonna song...in the year 2000.

She'll probably dethrone Michael Jackson before it's all said and done. And what makes that even more impressive is that it's in the digital age where it's impossible to actually sell albums anymore.

Yeah, times are different though. After advent of the internet and Napster, you're no longer forced to listen to only what's on radio, your local K-mart or Billboard 200.

I spent the last 20 years listening to techno, trance, house, ambient, synthwave and everything made prior to 1999.

Up until 2 months I couldn't name you a single Taylor Swift song because low IQ fags listen to Taylor Swift

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
This is what I was saying with my post. Did you know she had the top 10 songs at the same time? Every single one, from 1 to 10. She also dethroned The Beatles who had 9 (tied with Drake, of all people). That's fucking insane.

Like I said, I'm not a fan. I know a bunch of her songs because they're in everything, my wife listens to her sometimes, etc. I just didn't realize how big of a mega star she is. She's basically crushed almost every single music related record there is.

Also, that other post that Tuco had (Ready for it?) is pretty nuts, how she's had success is several genres of music. Country? Pop? R&B? Rock? And even crazier is that she writes her own music. She's not just another random pop star shitting out some lyrics to some producer's algorithm'd beat that will have maximum pop impact.

LMAO fag