Tenet (2020)

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Finally had a chance to watch this. Really liked it and don't get some of the criticisms here.

I will say, the temporal pincer thing seems kinda over used / badly introduced. It seems like the first conflict with inverted bad guys, they introduced the temporal pincer idea. Then at least two more times in the movie the same thing happened. By the end that part wasnt even interesting anymore, just overused. Dont you have any other tricks?

They should have started off with just an inverted opponent, then slowly built up to the pincer thing. It was like they had this one neat idea and just wanted to keep doing it over and over and over.
Might have missed if anyone explained this... But the temporal pioneer was itself a temporal pincer. The movie starts with an inversion, the temporal pincer is explained in the center of the movie, and then ends with another inversion.

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
Might have missed if anyone explained this... But the temporal pioneer was itself a temporal pincer. The movie starts with an inversion, the temporal pincer is explained in the center of the movie, and then ends with another inversion.
yes, that was my complaint. Its overdone to such an extent that by the time they "reveal" the third pincer its like "who gives a shit? Don't you guys have any other tricks you can do with time inversion?"

I'm still stuck on how they brought back enough inverted oxygen for sparkly vampire to wait inverted for the movie to begin. Whether its weeks or years, thats a lot of O2 tanks.

j00t

yes, that was my complaint. Its overdone to such an extent that by the time they "reveal" the third pincer its like "who gives a shit? Don't you guys have any other tricks you can do with time inversion?"

I'm still stuck on how they brought back enough inverted oxygen for sparkly vampire to wait inverted for the movie to begin. Whether its weeks or years, thats a lot of O2 tanks.
Seems like they have some warehouses hidden around... Just have to make a couple of inverted house plants and boom, inverted breathable air

• 1Mother of God
Reactions: 1 user

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
The sole fact the movie makes you have to think this much is worth the watch. I thoroughly enjoyed it, and while i wont watch it again to avoid mind fuckery and all that, its still a great piece of cinematography.

• 3Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

spronk

FPS noob
but was it? I love Nolan visuals for the most part, the Batman series was AMAZING, Inception looked AWESOME (that Paris upside down shit is nuts), Interstellar blew my mind, Dunkirk looked and sounded great.

I wasn't so impressed with Tenet. All of the European stuff was cool in a Bond way, but the final 1/3 of the movie takes place in a fucking Canadian mining pit. I walk my dog around one every day near me. Its not impressive looking, the fighting in it looks pretty goofy, and it just screams fake-fake-fake-fake. I wish the ending had been done in a far more impressive location, like actually the ruins of Chernobyl or some post apocalyptic location (to justify the whole "the future will get stuff from this spot" thing). Instead its a gravel/mining pit.

• 1Like
  • 1Picard
Reactions: 1 users

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Gaming Ghost>
I finally looked up Elizabeth Debicki as I was wondering how all the dudes are so fucking short in this movie. She is 6'3". My height. No wonder she towers over all the actors in this movie. Damn I would love to climb up those legs.

j00t

but was it? I love Nolan visuals for the most part, the Batman series was AMAZING, Inception looked AWESOME (that Paris upside down shit is nuts), Interstellar blew my mind, Dunkirk looked and sounded great.

I wasn't so impressed with Tenet. All of the European stuff was cool in a Bond way, but the final 1/3 of the movie takes place in a fucking Canadian mining pit. I walk my dog around one every day near me. Its not impressive looking, the fighting in it looks pretty goofy, and it just screams fake-fake-fake-fake. I wish the ending had been done in a far more impressive location, like actually the ruins of Chernobyl or some post apocalyptic location (to justify the whole "the future will get stuff from this spot" thing). Instead its a gravel/mining pit.
i think most of the failings in the movie can be chalked up to covid screwing up post production. a lot of it screams of "good enough" instead of nolan's usual greatness

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider

Canadian mining pit? what? It was the abandoned Siberian city where Sator originally found the note and his whole arc began.

• 1Like

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
Seems like they have some warehouses hidden around... Just have to make a couple of inverted house plants and boom, inverted breathable air
We're nitpicking over oxygen while debating time inversion - I recognize this.

but no, houseplants don't do anything meaningful in terms of oxygen production. They'd have to go with like a warehouse full of O2 tanks or something.

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I finally looked up Elizabeth Debicki as I was wondering how all the dudes are so fucking short in this movie. She is 6'3". My height. No wonder she towers over all the actors in this movie. Damn I would love to climb up those legs.

She was in a great mini series called The Night Manager, if you are looking for more, from her.

• 1Like

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor

but no, houseplants don't do anything meaningful in terms of oxygen production. They'd have to go with like a warehouse full of O2 tanks or something.
Been a while since I've seen it and tbh with so many good things out that I don't have time to see I'm not revisiting it any time soon. But I seem to remember the impression that they had tons of infrastructure on both sides and a constant flow between them. That doesn't account for every plot hole (ie how do internal combustion engines work given what they told us about physics) but is enough to handwave most of the oxygen etc concerns.

Fucker

Log Wizard
Mostly all neck.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider

No, they really wouldn't. You don't seem to have any grasp of how much oxygen someone actually needs.

A normal person on an average day consumes under 400 liters of oxygen a day while a 52" O2 tank can hold over 7000 liters of oxygen. So one tank every 17 days. He also doesn't need to have all the o2 at once, he can just revert every couple weeks and grab another O2 tank and invert himself again.

• 1Like

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Gaming Ghost>
No, they really wouldn't. You don't seem to have any grasp of how much oxygen someone actually needs.

A normal person on an average day consumes under 400 liters of oxygen a day while a 52" O2 tank can hold over 7000 liters of oxygen. So one tank every 17 days. He also doesn't need to have all the o2 at once, he can just revert every couple weeks and grab another O2 tank and invert himself again.
I always wondered why people on oxygen roll around with the tiny little bottles. Mystery solved.

Jozu

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
my friends mom is on oxygen and she still smokes. Shit is wild.

Fadaar

That guy
my friends mom is on oxygen and she still smokes. Shit is wild.

Pieces of shit like that are why insurance and medical costs are so stupid. People like that should just be fed to pigs.

• 2Seriously?
  • 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 3 users

Brodhi

I picked the wrong week to stop sniffing glue.
<Donor>
The film work is worth watching but it was a pretty meh story and everybody in it seems somewhat uninterested in what they are doing.

This captures the feeling of the movie perfectly. Aside from all the other shortcomings, the fact that none of the characters even seemed to give much of a shit was what killed it. The general feeling you get is that this is all commonplace. But it isn't because no one has heard of the tech before. So they treat some new life altering tech with world ending crisis, like they have a case of the Mondays and someone forgot to get the coffee. The horrible pacing contributes to this, except even with fast paced dogshit movie like Fast & Furious 25, even that still manages to capture moments of real emotion. It really shows the movie was just a tech demo, the script was barely an afterthought.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Sterling

El Presidente
Pieces of shit like that are why insurance and medical costs are so stupid. People like that should just be fed to pigs.
First part of this is certainly at least partially true. Obviously, she shouldn't have started smoking 40 years ago or whatever, but without knowing how much effort has been put in to break her addiction I'm not quite sure about the second part.

• 1Solidarity