Tenet (2020)

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Grim1

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Trip flick. Nolan is the master at getting studios to give him tons of money to make very weird flicks. Weird is good though, even if the movie isn't (Interstellar). Too much formulaic pablum coming out of Hollywood.

I liked this one, but had to keep rewinding bits to keep up (keep back?). It's good, not great, but definitely unique.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Wife and I got about 20 minutes into it before our daughter called and needed a ride so we had to pause it. The opera house scene where we see the inverted bullet shot at the lead my wife leans forward and asked "what the fuck did we just see?". I told her this is a spy movie as she generally doesnt like sci-fiction. She is in for a wild ride when we finish it.

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
i didn't really care for the story, but are you guys watching this with atmos? cuz it's really enveloping, compared to other atmos movies

• 1Solidarity

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
What I remember most about this movie is the world's tallest white castle. I can just imagine it serving up the most effluential things that India has to offer.

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
Thats not even the end of the temporal pincer, at the end, Pattinson tells Washington that the entire Tenet protocol itself was a temporal pincer, lol.
I know, I guess thats the third (or 4th?) one I was referring to.

Frustrating because its such a cool idea when you first hear it, then they proceed to beat it to death until it becomes boring and expected by the end. They should have built up to it. This would also have given more time to explore inversion itself. Its like they skipped the basics of inversion and made the whole movie about the pincer thing.

when they reveal the final pincer thing its just boring, I think that was the point where I was like "wait thats dumb, why do they keep doing this same trick?"

• 1Like

Izo

Tranny Chaser
i didn't really care for the story, but are you guys watching this with atmos? cuz it's really enveloping, compared to other atmos movies
What’s it supposed to make better, atmos? Sound or picture, both? Have on old sammy 55 4k led and some pleb lg dolby soundbar. I saw Tenet at the cinema with the gang, drunk on gay strawberry daiquiries. Unique movie, sure, but I donno if I want to watch it with the mrs at home. What I’m asking is: will atmos enhance the sloppy blowjob she’d have to give me for enduring Tenet a second time?

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
I know, I guess thats the third (or 4th?) one I was referring to.

Frustrating because its such a cool idea when you first hear it, then they proceed to beat it to death until it becomes boring and expected by the end. They should have built up to it. This would also have given more time to explore inversion itself. Its like they skipped the basics of inversion and made the whole movie about the pincer thing.

when they reveal the final pincer thing its just boring, I think that was the point where I was like "wait thats dumb, why do they keep doing this same trick?"

Pretty sure that's kind of the whole point of the movie. All the sator square references imply that it's not just about inversion, but both happening simultaneously.

You get 1 temporal pincer from the baddie before you know what it is, then you get 1 from the protagonist's point of view, then the reveal that the whole movie was a giant temporal pincer. Its actually cool you got to see what it was like from different reference points.

Thought it was pretty good overall.

The inverted attacker's identity seemed pretty obvious, though, so wasn't the surprise they were probably intending. Also pretty tough to follow if you only watch it once which can be a positive or negative depending on your point of view.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
My wife gave up about halfway through. I'm surprised she made it that far to be honest.

• 1Like

Warrik

Potato del Grande
<Donor>
Might be an unpopular opinion, but overall, I thought this movie was trying to be too smart and too clever for its own good. The concept was not well executed and made it difficult to understand the flow of sequences. Just a poor film imo.

• 4Like
  • 1Cringe
Reactions: 4 users

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
This movie is not that hard to understand, provided you take a few things for granted.

When you travel back in time, you experience time in a reverse notion, moving, heat transfer, etc.

Imagine the regular time line is A,b,c,d,e,f,g,h... all the way to Z. [A...Z]

Then when someone in time T, decides need to go back to time [L...P] From L to P, he doesn't jump to L, he actually first jumps to P; then proceed backwards to L, then from L he jumps back to T.

That is it, movie solved

spronk

FPS noob
yeah but if you take the time to think about it for 5 seconds more it completely breaks down.

For example cars move by burning gasoline, creating energy which powers an engine that moves rods and axles. Its an application of entropy, you go from a more organized state - gasoline - to a more chaotic state - CO2 and heat. That is a forward movement in time.

If you REVERSED entropy and time, the car would just sit there as energy becomes more and more dense, ultimately collapsing into a black hole as energy density exceeds an atomic nucleus. You wouldn't run the car backwards, you'd just get a ton of micro black holes popping in every location you applied massive amounts of extra energy to reverse entropy.

Its not a big deal, thats what Nolan does in every movie - take a basic idea like "what if you could share dreams" or "what if black holes let you talk to yourself in the past" or "what if you could reverse time so future people could live on a planet without global warming" - and apply that at a personal level.

His other movies worked because the personal stuff was really interesting. In Tenet the personal stuff is drab and dull, I literally did not give a single fuck about a single character. All I knew was two dudes were super thirsty for a pretty skinny white bitch. Its supposed to be a movie about how our actions in the present are fucking over the future, but since we never really saw the effects on the world in the future even that was poorly done.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Sterling

El Presidente
Might be an unpopular opinion, but overall, I thought this movie was trying to be too smart and too clever for its own good.
This is pretty common with Nolan movies. The difference is most of his movies are visually very appealing and his action and emotional scenes are done well enough this usually gets overlooked or is forgiven. Not as much with this movie.

• 1Like

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I think there is also a Nolan expectation. He has set a pretty high bar for himself. If rando director did this for his first film, I think people would be a little more forgiving with "nice try for a rookie".

Also Memento falls into the "science falls apart" under extreme scutiny category. For his films at this point I just kind of go with the idea and try not to rules lawyer it otherwise it ends in disappointment. I like Tenet. I like the effort and action scenes. It just wasn't great.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
yeah but if you take the time to think about it for 5 seconds more it completely breaks down.

For example cars move by burning gasoline, creating energy which powers an engine that moves rods and axles. Its an application of entropy, you go from a more organized state - gasoline - to a more chaotic state - CO2 and heat. That is a forward movement in time.

If you REVERSED entropy and time, the car would just sit there as energy becomes more and more dense, ultimately collapsing into a black hole as energy density exceeds an atomic nucleus. You wouldn't run the car backwards, you'd just get a ton of micro black holes popping in every location you applied massive amounts of extra energy to reverse entropy.

Its not a big deal, thats what Nolan does in every movie - take a basic idea like "what if you could share dreams" or "what if black holes let you talk to yourself in the past" or "what if you could reverse time so future people could live on a planet without global warming" - and apply that at a personal level.

His other movies worked because the personal stuff was really interesting. In Tenet the personal stuff is drab and dull, I literally did not give a single fuck about a single character. All I knew was two dudes were super thirsty for a pretty skinny white bitch. Its supposed to be a movie about how our actions in the present are fucking over the future, but since we never really saw the effects on the world in the future even that was poorly done.

The cars were never inverted, just the people. Obviously its not actually possible, it's time travel.

I do agree with the personal connection thing. The only thing you get is when Patterson's character says goodbye and they both know he's going off to his death

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>

Cars don't go backwards in time. Only personal equipment they could took with them in the machine.

Regarding personal connections. The main actor lacks that connection for sure, for me, but I was very surprised how good of a job Patterson did.

Also movies don't need to have the rigorous frame of a theoretical physics' thesis in order to be enjoyable.

• 1Dislike

Zweischneid

Molten Core Raider
Cars don't go backwards in time. Only personal equipment they could took with them in the machine.

Sure they do. Otherwise there'd be no way the car on the highway would be able to do a reverse-crash. Lol. That's one of the main trailer-action-scenes selling points of the movie.

tnt12-1593185402.gif

• 1Like

Jozu

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
That is something I havent really thought about either to be honest.

The inverted items/weapons/objects having to go through the turnstyles in order to achieve inversion. So if that is the baseline rule for how the inverted shit works, then how would cars become inverted? I guess its the same principal as a building exploding, and then unexploding, where as the car drives, then un drives (goes backward). But what is the reasoning there?

At this point, I think that this is the movies number one achievement. That is, how many different scenarios the "Tenet" can of worms provides. Its literally an endless what if type of argument that turns into a snake eating its own tail, there is no end point in logical terms. The scenarios presented in this movie simply do not afford the viewer that luxury. Which is an achievement in itself like I said, even if its dumb as fuck and doesnt make much sense.