Tenet (2020)

Raes

Vyemm Raider
By turning it off.

Hating a time travel movie because the time travel isn't realistic is one of the dumbest and most autistic complaints

I never said it wasn't realistic. I said it doesn't make sense, based on the movies own rules.

And your answer is wrong. Care to try again?

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
I never said it wasn't realistic. I said it doesn't make sense, based on the movies own rules.

And your answer is wrong. Care to try again?

lol no it's not, you're just pissed it was so obvious and you didn't realize it.

It "starts" when you turn it off then "turns off" when you start it. It's not that complicated.

Raes

Vyemm Raider
lol no it's not, you're just pissed it was so obvious and you didn't realize it.

It "starts" when you turn it off then "turns off" when you start it. It's not that complicated.

You are moving backwards through time, the car is moving forward through time. Did I need to specify this? Any action you take interacting with the car (if you can even interact with it at all) will have an effect on the car's future, which is your past. If you managed to start the car, not only would it start in it's future, not yours, but it would cause a paradox since the car would have been running before you started it, and therefore there would be no reason to start it.

• 1Blown

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
You are moving backwards through time, the car is moving forward through time. Did I need to specify this? Any action you take interacting with the car (if you can even interact with it at all) will have an effect on the car's future, which is your past. If you managed to start the car, not only would it start in it's future, not yours, but it would cause a paradox since the car would have been running before you started it, and therefore there would be no reason to start it.

You're turning it off, driving it inverted, then starting it when you're done.

From your perspective it starts when it's turned off and turns off when you start it, but from the car's perspective everything happened after it was started and there's no paradox.

The movie covered all this with the scientist lady and the bullet

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
But the car itself isn't an inverted object. That's where I get confused. They introduce inverted objects and a machine that inverts things and then I'm not sure what is and is not inverted or has to be inverted to be used. We've got that scene at the start with a gun that unshoots bullets. How did we end up with those guns at the wall that had the bullets embedded? Protagonist rides a boat back in time which I can kinda get but he can also drive a car back in time?

I legitimately don't understand the film outside of the broadest strokes. The how everything works and what it would even mean to fight someone going backwards in time is completely lost on me.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
But the car itself isn't an inverted object. That's where I get confused. They introduce inverted objects and a machine that inverts things and then I'm not sure what is and is not inverted or has to be inverted to be used. We've got that scene at the start with a gun that unshoots bullets. How did we end up with those guns at the wall that had the bullets embedded? Protagonist rides a boat back in time which I can kinda get but he can also drive a car back in time?

I legitimately don't understand the film outside of the broadest strokes. The how everything works and what it would even mean to fight someone going backwards in time is completely lost on me.

You sure the car wasn't inverted?

TbBp0.png

What I said would go for an inverted driver in a non-inverted car. If both are inverted then everything would happen normally for you and the car and just appear in reverse for everyone else

Raes

Vyemm Raider
You're turning it off, driving it inverted, then starting it when you're done.

From your perspective it starts when it's turned off and turns off when you start it, but from the car's perspective everything happened after it was started and there's no paradox.

The movie covered all this with the scientist lady and the bullet

The car has a past. In order for that to work, the car's past would have to already be your future.

Let's try something simpler. Opening the car door. You are inverted, it is not. You open the door, (or try to) and if you succeed the door is now closed again for you, because you've moved to the car's past where the door was closed.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
The car has a past. In order for that to work, the car's past would have to already be your future.

And your past is the car's future. None of this is the movie being inconsistent with its own rules.

Just like your door analogy, the lady went over it when they were talking about the inverted gun/bullets.

Raes

Vyemm Raider
And your past is the car's future. None of this is the movie being inconsistent with its own rules.

Just like your door analogy, the lady went over it when they were talking about the inverted gun/bullets.

Nothing explains how moving through the past would give you the ability to break the law of cause and effect. Any action you take would cause an effect in the forward future, not your backwards future. You shouldn't be able to interact with anything not inverted without breaking the laws of causality.

• 1Like

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
Nothing explains how moving through the past would give you the ability to break the law of cause and effect. Any action you take would cause an effect in the forward future, not your backwards future. You shouldn't be able to interact with anything not inverted without breaking the laws of causality.

Oh really, so you're saying you can't really invert something's entropy and make it move backwards through time??

Groundbreaking shit. The movie acknowledges this is an issue multiple times, though, so not sure what you meant by it breaking its own rules.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
This argument proves how fucking stupid this movie is.

• 8Like
  • 2Worf
Reactions: 9 users

velk

Trakanon Raider

I mean, that's like the entire premise of the movie. Your complaints are kind of like watching Dracula and then complaining about how it sucks because vampires aren't real.

Any time travel at all is a causality violation. This one was interesting mostly for a different take on that and how it could work, rather than the usual handwaving around predestination or multiple timelines. Having changes propagate backwards through time with no respect to a privileged viewpoint is a bit of a mindfuck - cause and effect become irretrievably scrambled when from your point of view, what happened 5 minutes ago suddenly changes to reflect something that hasn't happened yet. It does make for some amazing action sequences though.

• 1Like

Barellron

Trakanon Raider
Man's trying to explain Tenet through the lens of the Matrix 2 ending.
A better lens would be hallucinogenic mushrooms.

Bondurant

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Tenet is a great idea, only poorly executed and badly produced: premise was interesting (entropy), then it's being explained too much through mundane (and sometimes untelligible if your theater didn't crank up dialogues volume up) dialogues, good action scenes, almost non-existent character development and bad production design. As a Nolan fan I like to think there was a great film behind this, I also like to think Warner fucked him off having final cut because they were too afraid it being a box-office bomb right after covid. But to be honest, there's just too many silly stuff going on besides the action scenes, you're too busy wondering why this and why that to notice the good stuff.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users