Terminator (2019)

amigo

Lord Nagafen Raider
Add me to the list of Furlong haters (in T2 context).Was such a let down when they showed his face and expression for the first time. It was done in Conan style, like with Arnold and wheel of pain, he's facing down and then looks up and you can see it's him. Automatic dislike, and the rest of the movie didn't help him either. Had the same thing with Shia La-whatever in Indy 4. Couldn't stand his greaser face from the first moment.

Fedor

<Banned>
In the script’s defense, if I were a ten year old given full command of a killer cyborg, I think I would prefer it didn’t kill either. But I agree on the acting. It was and still is cringe, especially the “Are you calling moi a dipshit?”

now who's the dikshit?

maxresdefault.jpg

• 2Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Seems to me like it was a pretty accurate portrayal of how an 11 year old delinquent foster kid with a crazy mom would act in the late 80s/early 90s. I don't get all the hate. And the no killing stuff was pretty important to turn Arnold into the hero seeing as how he had been a full on horror movie villain the last time around.

• 3Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Why dont they just let this one die a good death and come up with something fresh, like a new idea. Instead of rehashing this old shit over and over again. There entire libraries filled with books, short stories, to to make new shit from.

• 2Like
  • 1Salty
Reactions: 2 users

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
Why dont they just let this one die a good death and come up with something fresh, like a new idea. Instead of rehashing this old shit over and over again. There entire libraries filled with books, short stories, to to make new shit from.

Surely there's some more Harlan Ellison stories we can borrow from to make a new movie franchise.

Terminator and Aliens both no longer reward the viewer for continuing to stick with them. Anything set up in T3 isn't really followed up on in Terminator Salvation which isn't followed up in Terminator Genysis which isn't followed up here in Dark Fate. It's become a long string of tangentially related soft reboots. I guess Dark Fate will follow up on T2 so that's something?

It's just a mess.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
They cant let it go. They have to keep recycling the same used up bathwater because it was succesful at some point in the past and they can use that in their pitch meeting. If they go in with an unknown commodity it wont be given a huge budget or greenlit at all. It also has a lot to do with securing the rights to the IP. The studio already owns the terminator franchise, they can do what they want with it. If they had to buy the rights then it would be very costly and perhaps there would be certain restrictions in the deal. Like spiderman homecoming, they wanted spidey to be black, Sony said no, so they made all his love interests black instead.

Vanessa

Uncle Tanya
<Banned>
Lots of good names attached to this at least. It could be great; it could be crap... idk?

"I am human, just enhanced" ...meh.

So does this movie retcon the most recent Terminator movies or what? The trailer makes it feel that way but I'm so weary of the franchise I've lost count on how many different timelines or plotholes there are with it all LoL.

Who's the girl who needs protecting?

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
So this is literally Terminator but you just replace John Connor with whoever that bitch is. Girl Power Terminator...

yeah...

Slaanesh69

Millie's Staff Member
I watched that trailer, sighed out loud and, in my head, said to myself "Well, shit, I guess I am going to watch this at some point and be at least mildly entertained, just like all the rest since T2. Just like Alien Covenant and Prometheus. But I am still disappointed."

TheNozz

Ssraeszha Raider
RIP Franco Columbu aka the future terminator from the first film
August 7, 1941 – August 30, 2019
saitama.jpg

became the basis of arguably the best inifiltrator card for the past game scenario in the CCG way back when

saitama.jpg

What I also liked about that sequence in the first film, and I wish more films would have done it: it establishes that not all terminators look like Ahnuld

Oh and Columbu also inflated a hot water bottle like it were a fuckin' balloon

• 3Like
  • 1Solidarity

Goatface

The movie isn’t exactly being predicted to bomb though, with Dark Fate set to open between $35m and $45m. While that’s higher than Terminator Genisys, which only managed to earn $27m during its debut weekend, those numbers are still lower than Salvation’s $42.6m and Rise of the Machines‘ $44m.

Dark Fate Budget: $160–200m

..............................................................Budget......Opening......USA...................Worldwide
The Terminator ...................................$6.4m........$4m........... $38.3m...............$78.4
Terminator 2: Judgment Day..............$102m.......$31.7m......$204.8m.............$519.8
Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines...$200m.......$44m..........$150.3m............$433.4
Terminator Salvation...........................$200m.......$42.5m.......$125.3m............$371.4
Terminator: Genisys.............................$155m.......$27m .........$89.7m.............. $440.6

adjusted for inflation............................Opening..............USA.
The Terminator .....................................$10.7m...............$102.2m
Terminator 2: Judgment Day ...............$67.9m...............$438.3m
Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines.....$65.8m...............$224.6m
Terminator Salvation.............................$51.4m...............$151.3m
Terminator: Genisys...............................$29.5m...............$98m

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
it really says something about the state of hollywood currently, that 30 years ago a movie that had a $4m opening weekend was allowed to create a franchise that includes 6 movies, a tv show and countless video games.

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
it really says something about the state of hollywood currently, that 30 years ago a movie that had a $4m opening weekend was allowed to create a franchise that includes 6 movies, a tv show and countless video games.

Movies were in theaters a lot longer then and didn't have monster opening weekends (only six films opened in double digits in 1984). Few films these days make 10x their opening weekend. It was 21st in total box office in 84. So, it's not like it was unknown.

But... it was still only a solid hit. I think t2 is really what allowed the franchise to retain lasting interest.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
T1 was a modestly budgetedactiony-horror movie with a cast of nobodies. T2 was a full on action blockbuster with a huge budget and Arnold was a recognizable action star by 1991. It was definitely T2 that made the franchise, the TV show captured a little bit of the vibe of the original but all of the movies have been very much in the mold of T2.

• 4Like