Terminator (2019)

Fadaar

That guy
The movie was the waterworld before waterworld came out. Insanely over budget, the original cut didnt make much sense, movie audiences had mixed reactions and it did poorly. The meme here is the director's cut, for whatever reason the stuff that made the movie much better and understandable was chopped out of the film, probably due to time constraints. Cameron's rep took a hit so he went back to the well. Other directors have done the same, doesnt always work, maybe not even in this case, but enough time had passed and cgi had advanced where he could do some cool shit.

If there's one positive thing that Endgame and IW have done it's prove that audiences are more than willing to sit through a 3 hour+ movie *IF* it's worth it. I guess LOTR did it first but that was a little different.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Goatface

it is doing better than Genisys. but don't think that is much of a feat. If it doesn't hold up in China could be a total disaster

spronk

FPS noob
movie is a box office flop at this point, its been already open a week internationally and has made $29m dom/$94m intl but has a budget over $185m split between 3 studios so it probably needs to make over $400m to be "Hollywood profitable", who knows what it needs to do to be money laundering profitable tho.

half in the bag spoilers review

• 1Like

Fucker

Log Wizard
movie is a box office flop at this point, its been already open a week internationally and has made $29m dom/$94m intl but has a budget over $185m split between 3 studios so it probably needs to make over $400m to be "Hollywood profitable", who knows what it needs to do to be money laundering profitable tho.

half in the bag spoilers review

It's funny how he was screwing around and came up with a much better idea for a movie than what was produced.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
The movie was the waterworld before waterworld came out. Insanely over budget, the original cut didnt make much sense, movie audiences had mixed reactions and it did poorly. The meme here is the director's cut, for whatever reason the stuff that made the movie much better and understandable was chopped out of the film, probably due to time constraints. Cameron's rep took a hit so he went back to the well. Other directors have done the same, doesnt always work, maybe not even in this case, but enough time had passed and cgi had advanced where he could do some cool shit.
I liked the abyss, rented it out on vhs obviously when it came out, was wondering what robocop was doing underwater.

Sterling

El Presidente
Watched that RLM video even without seeing the movie, but it's kind of interesting that they seemed to like Davis and disliked Hamilton's Connor so much.

Fucker

Log Wizard
it is doing better than Genisys. but don't think that is much of a feat. If it doesn't hold up in China could be a total disaster

They need to let this franchise die. There's only so many times you can retread a tire before it stops becoming a tire. It's well past that at this point.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Watched that RLM video even without seeing the movie, but it's kind of interesting that they seemed to like Davis and disliked Hamilton's Connor so much.

Well, Davis is a really talented actress, so I'm not really surprised. I've seen most of her rolls and she has nailed them all. Hamilton was great as Connor in T2, but nobody her age can pull off a roll like this one.

Sterling

El Presidente
Well, Davis is a really talented actress, so I'm not really surprised. I've seen most of her rolls and she has nailed them all. Hamilton was great as Connor in T2, but nobody her age can pull off a roll like this one.
I agree. All the old lady stuff was pretty funny in the video, but I'm sure it's probably pretty cringe on screen.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Their joke suggestion for a Terminator movie is something I would actually go see.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Gamma Rays

Large sized member
A co-worker today told me:

"I went and saw that new Terminator movie on the weekend, it was really good!"

This is the same person who liked Prometheus so much he bought the Blu-Ray.

'nuff said.

• 1Worf

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm

honestly, i agree pretty much 100% with what they said about sarah conner. there is no difference between her from t2 and this movie, which is silly. her character was extremely bland and ultimately her role only added what amounted to a side quest to the movie that didn't even amount to anything.

Gamma Rays

Large sized member
Still trying to work that out, I need a subtle question to get an answer out of him.

Will keep you guys advised.

TheNozz

Ssraeszha Raider
A co-worker today told me:

"I went and saw that new Terminator movie on the weekend, it was really good!"

This is the same person who liked Prometheus so much he bought the Blu-Ray.

'nuff said.

To be fair, Prometheus is a decent movie. Suffers from same issue as Dark Fate though: both are meant to be connected to an established cinematic universe but do a poor job of doing so.

• 2Like
  • 1Seriously?
Reactions: 2 users

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
Best film in the series, better than Terminator 2

"By Brittany Knupper
Nov 3rd, 2019, 4:25 pm

Okay. First things first. I need to be upfront and say that Terminator: Dark Fate is not a very good movie. In fact, it’s actually pretty bad. (After viewing it, my friend pointed out that with each new, failed attempt to reboot this franchise – Dark Fate was supposed to be the start of a new trilogy – that Terminator now has, in fact, a trilogy of failed reboots!)

The story feels lazy and repetitive, the action sequences (and fight scenes in particular), are a pretty incoherent and poorly choreographed. The de-aging CGI in the opening sequence is so bad that it looks like a cut scene from a mediocre video game. (Not to mention the CGI in the first fight scene between the Rev-9 and Grace is so sloppily done that you wonder if they saved all the budget for the end of the film.) On top of that, the new “terrifying” Rev-9 terminator – it’s basically just the T-1 terminator and the T-2 terminator combined. With no other tricks up its sleeve.

BUT! It is fun (in the way that bad action films are fun), and it provides us with a really important thing to examine – namely an action film centered around three badass women of varying ages kicking all kinds of butt. So what I am here to present you with is not so much a review, but rather a feminist reading of Terminator: Dark Fate.

Grace protects Dani

First: the main characters. The story follows the arrival of Grace (Mackenzie Davis), an “augmented” (aka robotically enhanced) resistance fighter from the future, to our time. She is tasked with finding and protecting Dani (Natalie Reyes), a young mechanic living in Mexico City. While fleeing the Rev-9, they meet the iconic Sarah Connor (Linda Hamilton), who helps them escape. The three women are diverse in age, ethnicity, and appearance. I really can’t tell you how exciting it was for me to see a young Latina woman, a tall (shout out to my fellow tall women!), androgynous woman, and a woman in her sixties (with little to no plastic surgery) fighting together and kicking robot ass.

That sort of representation is still hard to find, but especially in the action genre. Now, I must point out that two of the three leads are white, so it’s not as ethnically diverse as it could be, but I think the way their whiteness and privilege come into play later in the film – and the way that they use it – is important to acknowledge. Grace uses her whiteness (and the uniform of a Border Patrol agent) to free Dani from a detention center. Sarah uses her military connections (her closeness to systems of power) to acquire a weapon capable of stopping the Rev-9.

The film opens with a flashback. Sarah Connor is on the beach with her son John, celebrating the stopping of “Judgement Day” and the prevention of Skynet, when a T-1 era terminator storms the beach and in spite of everything, murders her son in front of her. Permanently scarred, Sarah then spends the next decades of her life tracking down and destroying all terminators that she finds. Dani, a hard working young woman trying to provide financial security for her family, is the target of the Rev-9 (sent by the new Skynet known as “Legion”). She is innocent and unaware of why the male presenting machine (he is played by Gabriel Luna) is relentlessly pursuing her and trying to end her life. Grace, the super soldier of the future, was sent to find Dani and protect her from the Rev-9, sacrificing her own life if necessary.

The Rev-9

The women are continuously on the run from the Rev-9, who manages to locate them eventually every time they seek respite. They are also, initially, extremely mistrustful of one another. Each refusing to fully explain themselves, even if it would be helpful to their situation. Grace doesn’t trust Sarah’s backstory, after all in her future Skynet never existed, but she also refuses to explain just WHY the Rev-9 is after Dani. Sarah is too traumatized by her grief and PTSD (and her alcoholism) to fully empathize with Grace’s equally valid trauma. She is also bitter about being reduced by the system to just a “womb” in need of protecting. She wasn’t inherently worthy of protecting, only the reproductive organ that would produce the REAL leader – her son. Poor Dani doesn’t trust either of them and yet is stuck – dependent on these white women to use their power and knowledge to uplift and protect her until she takes a stand and makes her voice heard.

And it isn’t until they meet Carl (Arnold Schwarzenegger) the terminator turned “ally” (see where this is going) that they can truly move forward with making a plan that will stop the Rev-9 once and for all. For you see, the Rev-9 can actually be viewed as the Patriarchy (specifically as we know it now in its present shroud of late stage imperialist capitalism). It is the unstoppable, ever adapting dominant hegemony. It wants not only to destroy Dani (in this reading she is the symbol of intersectional third-wave feminism), but to destroy any chance that what she represents (hope, growth, humanity) will come to pass in order to protect itself. It masks itself in varying forms: the male stranger, the border patrol officer, the cop, even her own father. Because the patriarchy is present in every threat and every figure of male authority.

Sarah and Carl

Ok back to Carl. Carl, much like self-proclaimed feminist men, has come (through harsh self examination and listening to the women in his life), to realize the damage he has caused and is attempting to help undo it. Even when Sarah, overwhelmed when she meets him (he is the murderer of her son), tries to fight him, he passively accepts her anger and retaliation. He also presents an interesting dilemma that women must contend with on a daily basis. In Terminator 2, Sarah spends most of the film allied with a terminator (also played by Schwarzenegger) only, as we learn in the beginning of this film, to have a man (er… machine) wearing the SAME FACE murder her child. In the way that women talk about “Schroedinger’s rapist,” Carl represents the fear and anxiety women experience every time they interact with a man. Will he be good? Will he be violent? Will the “good man” suddenly turn violent? It is impossible to know until he does. Carl is Schroedinger’s Terminator. He must continually prove to them that he is safe and will help them survive.

At the film’s climax, (located inside the Hoover Dam) Grace finally confesses the truth to Dani. Unlike Sarah, it isn’t Dani’s womb the Rev-9 has been sent to destroy, but Dani herself. Dani is the future leader of the resistance (#resistance lol). She is the woman that turns what is left of the human race from scattered survivors hurting each other for scraps into an army capable of fighting back against the machines. She turns them into enough of a threat that the machines go back in time in order to stop her from ever finding her power.

Grace and Sarah

Ultimately, both Carl and Grace sacrifice themselves in order to save Dani. This leaves Sarah to train Dani so that she is ready to fight the machines when the new judgement day occurs. It’s interesting to think about the ways in which Sarah, the old guard of second-wave feminism, works with Dani at the end. She has to accept that not only is she not the sole victim of the patriarchy, but that the ways that the patriarchy (and all systems of oppression) adapt and change over time. That the only way to help Dani, and the future of humanity, is by providing her with the tools and knowledge that she has acquired, but also by letting her take charge and lead the way.

At least, that was my deeper reading of this extremely imperfect popcorn flick. Trying to find moments of hope and joy before we face our own Dark Fate. I would love to hear more critical interpretations of the way this film handles these themes and messages (it, I can not stress this enough, is not perfect) as well! It’s Sunday, let’s get into it.

(Photos: Paramount Pictures)"

• 4Garbage
  • 2Barf
  • 1EyeRoll
Reactions: 7 users

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm

"By Brittany Knupper

Okay. First things first. I need to be upfront and say that Terminator: Dark Fate is not a very good movie. In fact, it’s actually pretty bad. (After viewing it, my friend pointed out that with each new, failed attempt to reboot this franchise – Dark Fate was supposed to be the start of a new trilogy – that Terminator now has, in fact, a trilogy of failed reboots!)

The story feels lazy and repetitive, the action sequences (and fight scenes in particular), are a pretty incoherent and poorly choreographed. The de-aging CGI in the opening sequence is so bad that it looks like a cut scene from a mediocre video game. (Not to mention the CGI in the first fight scene between the Rev-9 and Grace is so sloppily done that you wonder if they saved all the budget for the end of the film.) On top of that, the new “terrifying” Rev-9 terminator – it’s basically just the T-1 terminator and the T-2 terminator combined. With no other tricks up its sleeve.

BUT! It is fun (in the way that bad action films are fun), and it provides us with a really important thing to examine – namely an action film centered around three badass women of varying ages kicking all kinds of butt. So what I am here to present you with is not so much a review, but rather a feminist reading of Terminator: Dark Fate.

Grace protects Dani

First: the main characters. The story follows the arrival of Grace (Mackenzie Davis), an “augmented” (aka robotically enhanced) resistance fighter from the future, to our time. She is tasked with finding and protecting Dani (Natalie Reyes), a young mechanic living in Mexico City. While fleeing the Rev-9, they meet the iconic Sarah Connor (Linda Hamilton), who helps them escape. The three women are diverse in age, ethnicity, and appearance. I really can’t tell you how exciting it was for me to see a young Latina woman, a tall (shout out to my fellow tall women!), androgynous woman, and a woman in her sixties (with little to no plastic surgery) fighting together and kicking robot ass.

That sort of representation is still hard to find, but especially in the action genre. Now, I must point out that two of the three leads are white, so it’s not as ethnically diverse as it could be, but I think the way their whiteness and privilege come into play later in the film – and the way that they use it – is important to acknowledge. Grace uses her whiteness (and the uniform of a Border Patrol agent) to free Dani from a detention center. Sarah uses her military connections (her closeness to systems of power) to acquire a weapon capable of stopping the Rev-9.

The film opens with a flashback. Sarah Connor is on the beach with her son John, celebrating the stopping of “Judgement Day” and the prevention of Skynet, when a T-1 era terminator storms the beach and in spite of everything, murders her son in front of her. Permanently scarred, Sarah then spends the next decades of her life tracking down and destroying all terminators that she finds. Dani, a hard working young woman trying to provide financial security for her family, is the target of the Rev-9 (sent by the new Skynet known as “Legion”). She is innocent and unaware of why the male presenting machine (he is played by Gabriel Luna) is relentlessly pursuing her and trying to end her life. Grace, the super soldier of the future, was sent to find Dani and protect her from the Rev-9, sacrificing her own life if necessary.

The Rev-9

The women are continuously on the run from the Rev-9, who manages to locate them eventually every time they seek respite. They are also, initially, extremely mistrustful of one another. Each refusing to fully explain themselves, even if it would be helpful to their situation. Grace doesn’t trust Sarah’s backstory, after all in her future Skynet never existed, but she also refuses to explain just WHY the Rev-9 is after Dani. Sarah is too traumatized by her grief and PTSD (and her alcoholism) to fully empathize with Grace’s equally valid trauma. She is also bitter about being reduced by the system to just a “womb” in need of protecting. She wasn’t inherently worthy of protecting, only the reproductive organ that would produce the REAL leader – her son. Poor Dani doesn’t trust either of them and yet is stuck – dependent on these white women to use their power and knowledge to uplift and protect her until she takes a stand and makes her voice heard.

And it isn’t until they meet Carl (Arnold Schwarzenegger) the terminator turned “ally” (see where this is going) that they can truly move forward with making a plan that will stop the Rev-9 once and for all. For you see, the Rev-9 can actually be viewed as the Patriarchy (specifically as we know it now in its present shroud of late stage imperialist capitalism). It is the unstoppable, ever adapting dominant hegemony. It wants not only to destroy Dani (in this reading she is the symbol of intersectional third-wave feminism), but to destroy any chance that what she represents (hope, growth, humanity) will come to pass in order to protect itself. It masks itself in varying forms: the male stranger, the border patrol officer, the cop, even her own father. Because the patriarchy is present in every threat and every figure of male authority.

Sarah and Carl

Ok back to Carl. Carl, much like self-proclaimed feminist men, has come (through harsh self examination and listening to the women in his life), to realize the damage he has caused and is attempting to help undo it. Even when Sarah, overwhelmed when she meets him (he is the murderer of her son), tries to fight him, he passively accepts her anger and retaliation. He also presents an interesting dilemma that women must contend with on a daily basis. In Terminator 2, Sarah spends most of the film allied with a terminator (also played by Schwarzenegger) only, as we learn in the beginning of this film, to have a man (er… machine) wearing the SAME FACE murder her child. In the way that women talk about “Schroedinger’s rapist,” Carl represents the fear and anxiety women experience every time they interact with a man. Will he be good? Will he be violent? Will the “good man” suddenly turn violent? It is impossible to know until he does. Carl is Schroedinger’s Terminator. He must continually prove to them that he is safe and will help them survive.

At the film’s climax, (located inside the Hoover Dam) Grace finally confesses the truth to Dani. Unlike Sarah, it isn’t Dani’s womb the Rev-9 has been sent to destroy, but Dani herself. Dani is the future leader of the resistance (#resistance lol). She is the woman that turns what is left of the human race from scattered survivors hurting each other for scraps into an army capable of fighting back against the machines. She turns them into enough of a threat that the machines go back in time in order to stop her from ever finding her power.

Grace and Sarah

Ultimately, both Carl and Grace sacrifice themselves in order to save Dani. This leaves Sarah to train Dani so that she is ready to fight the machines when the new judgement day occurs. It’s interesting to think about the ways in which Sarah, the old guard of second-wave feminism, works with Dani at the end. She has to accept that not only is she not the sole victim of the patriarchy, but that the ways that the patriarchy (and all systems of oppression) adapt and change over time. That the only way to help Dani, and the future of humanity, is by providing her with the tools and knowledge that she has acquired, but also by letting her take charge and lead the way.

At least, that was my deeper reading of this extremely imperfect popcorn flick. Trying to find moments of hope and joy before we face our own Dark Fate. I would love to hear more critical interpretations of the way this film handles these themes and messages (it, I can not stress this enough, is not perfect) as well! It’s Sunday, let’s get into it.

it actually confuses me that people see things through this lens. like, i'm not even upset by it. i'm just concerned

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Slaanesh69

Millie's Staff Member

"By Brittany Knupper

Grace protects Dani

The Rev-9

Sarah and Carl

Grace and Sarah

This is a shitty movie, but it is really awesome because wamans and vaginas.

We have hit rock bottom now. Wait, no we haven't, but I think we may have reached critical velocity on the way down.