Terminator (2019)

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I was under the impression that it's an all women lead cast and only males are villains. Guess I was wrong.
it is a women led cast with a male villain. that's obviously fact. what beyond that fact are YOU drawing from it? is fate of the furious (fast and the furious 8 with charlize theron as the villain) the same kind of bad? i'm not comparing the quality of the movie, because you've already decided that terminator dark fate is terrible specifically and solely because it's an all women lead cast with a male villain. is fate of the furious equally as terrible specifically and solely because it's an all male lead cast with a female villain?

ohkcrlho

So... The series is already dead and they still think they can bring anything remotely good.
Don't even know if I will pirate this crap

Goatface

1572273934333.png
1572273958776.png
1572274028810.png

Sterling

El Presidente
The amount of anti woke whatever shit is just about as insufferable as the actual retarded woke shit to begin with. That being said this movie is going to be shit regardless.

• 4Solidarity
  • 1Like
  • 1Seriously?
Reactions: 5 users

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
So aside the whole Marvel thing, which is already comics from the 60s-80s what has hollywood done thats fresh and new in the past 10 yrs? Its nothing more than regurgitation of the past.

I have a theory why this is happening. Hollywoood has become this closed off, walled off cesspool of nothing more than nepotism now, MCI friends and family, and if youre not in the club youre out. This is why there are no more fresh ideas, no more Terminators, Aliens of today being made.

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Step 1) Make something good
Step 1) Make money

Step 1) Activism and Preachy Bullshit

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Step 1) Make something good
Step 1) Make money

Step 1) Activism and Preachy Bullshit

Yeah, again closed off hollywood world, echo chaimber. No one dare to stray off course or else you will be blacklisted and never work again.

spronk

FPS noob
what do you mean by "Hollywood"? EVERYONE in the industry? Cuz there are some great movies

Once Upon a Time in Hollywood
Heriditary and Midsommar
Wolf of Wall Street
Paddington 1 & 2
First Reformed
all of Taylor Sheridans movies like Sicario, Hell or HIgh Water, Wind River
Mission Impossible Fallout
Edge of Tomorrow
Ex Machina
Bone Tomahawk
Children of Men
What we Do in the Shadows
District 9
The Conjuring

I could probably list another 20 or 30 movies. In certain genres - horror, comic book, some aspects of scifi - its better than its been in decades. Horror especially has seen a massive resurgence in the last decade thanks to places like Blumhouse that encourage creativity and independence, with the caveat of very small budgets.

The big problem is that there really isn't room for mid budget movies anymore, either everything has to be a huge budget (and therefore tends to get overproduced/designed/dumbed down) or tiny Blumhouse style budgets.

I'd say the best work happens in TV now, far more interesting and better stories than movies and WAY more money being tossed around especially in the last 12 months as new streaming services take off. A huge amount of shit being worked on right now, lets see if any diamonds emerge.

Last edited:
  • 2Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Fadaar

That guy
That list of movies you posted goes back quite a ways, Children of Men was 2006. Also it was based on a book. I do agree that the mid budget movies are largely dead, they've been supplanted by bigger budget TV shows now.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

j00t

i think Passengers is probably the best example of what happens in the current world of hollywood when you get a new IP with a medium budget.

passengers was a mostly forgettable movie, despite having a lot of great potential... the problem is that when you get an incredibly likeable main star and a leading lady that has a sordid history with unclear evidence... i can guarantee that chris pratt wasn't meant to be the hero of the story. originally there was all this ourage about chris pratt getting paid way more than j-law, which didn't make sense because he had significantly more screen time. she doesn't even show up until half way through the movie. i think, originally she was meant to be the POV character. if you re-watch it there are several scenes where chris looks... vaguely sinister. i think the idea is that we, as the audience, aren't supposed to be sure whether or not he's being honest when he says that the same malfunction that woke him up is what woke her up.

here, watch this. this guy posits that it'd just be interesting if the film was reshot, but i think that's how it was originally SUPPOSED to be shot, but the studio wouldn't allow chris pratt to be a villain and forced reshoots and re-edits into what it is currently.

i think ultimately it came down to the studio being afraid to let an artist's work be what it is. there's no room for anything less than blockbusters so the producers and studios just get too involved and neuter it into sterility. people are so afraid to fail that they create a failure

Goatface

saw a thing a while back how much better Passengers and Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets would have been if they switched casts.

not watched that vid yet, but iirc, Chris was originally supposed to die and Jlaw was going to face the same struggle to open another pod.

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
The amount of anti woke whatever shit is just about as insufferable as the actual retarded woke shit to begin with. That being said this movie is going to be shit regardless.

Yeah, the anti-woke shit on various forums and social media is about as insufferable as woke shit in all major media, and every form of entertainment currently in use from video games to comics.

These things are equal.

They are not, not even close. This false equivalence is the only thing more insufferable than both sides.

• 3Like
  • 1Salty
Reactions: 3 users

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
it is a women led cast with a male villain. that's obviously fact. what beyond that fact are YOU drawing from it? is fate of the furious (fast and the furious 8 with charlize theron as the villain) the same kind of bad? i'm not comparing the quality of the movie, because you've already decided that terminator dark fate is terrible specifically and solely because it's an all women lead cast with a male villain. is fate of the furious equally as terrible specifically and solely because it's an all male lead cast with a female villain?

I don't disagree with your assessment of the movie, there wasn't a lot of cringey, ham fisted shit in the film. But the women being the lead in this film IS itself cringey and ham fisted. It isn't just like some movie with genders randomly arrayed in a certain way, like your fast and furious example. Males in the roles within this film were literally killed on screen so they could be replaced by women; I mean...LITERALLY. It creates a different dynamic. If I made a movie that is Woke Spy 009, its different than making James Bond a black female. One is creating something new, the other is hijacking something built by one identity to give it to another. One is capitalism, the other is some marxist IP horseshit looking to spread the wealth around to different 'identities' (Which apparently is good when its white males who originally created it, but evil, evil appropriation when it works in the other direction).

That said, they certainly didn't emphasize various woke themes in the movie outside of Sarah Connors weird anti-mother rants that were cringey as fuck, and a kind of weird dismissal of the importance of the feminine; which is a strong undertone in all these "empowerment" films. But otherwise, it was just effectively like a black-spoitation flick from the 70's, except with women. The movie was still...kind of bad though (Closer to average than the other shlock since T2). The two most interesting elements, Carl and the hybrid bitch were not explored at all. Instead we focused on the illegal who was by far the weakest link in the film and Sarah Connor who was okay? But not really interesting at all outside of how she interacted with Carl, but they didn't get enough screen time to go anywhere.

Essentially this was Terminator 1 and 2 mixed together, but lost a lot of key character development because it was way too much for one film. But it was closer to good than most of the other shit after T2 came to because it was essentially a copy of if T1/T2--it was The Force Awakens of this franchise. A fan fic by someone who seemed to be an actual fan of the original films but wanted their own characters to do all the things.

Last edited:

j00t

I don't disagree with your assessment of the movie, there wasn't a lot of cringey, ham fisted shit in the film. But the women being the lead in this film IS itself cringey and ham fisted. It isn't just like some movie with genders randomly arrayed in a certain way, like your fast and furious example. Males in the roles within this film were literally killed on screen so they could be replaced by women; I mean...LITERALLY. It creates a different dynamic. If I made a movie that is Woke Spy 009, its different than making James Bond a black female. One is creating something new, the other is hijacking something built by one identity to give it to another. One is capitalism, the other is some marxist IP horseshit looking to spread the wealth around to different 'identities' (Which apparently is good when its white males who originally created it, but evil, evil appropriation when it works in the other direction).

That said, they certainly didn't emphasize various woke themes in the movie outside of Sarah Connors weird anti-mother rants that were cringey as fuck, and a kind of weird dismissal of the importance of the feminine; which is a strong undertone in all these "empowerment" films. But otherwise, it was just effectively like a black-spoitation flick from the 70's, except with women. The movie was still...kind of bad though (Closer to average than the other shlock since T2). The two most interesting elements, Carl and the hybrid bitch were not explored at all. Instead we focused on the illegal who was by far the weakest link in the film and Sarah Connor who was okay? But not really interesting at all outside of how she interacted with Carl, but they didn't get enough screen time to go anywhere.

Essentially this was Terminator 1 and 2 mixed together, but lost a lot of key character development because it was way too much for one film. But it was closer to good than most of the other shit after T2 came to because it was essentially a copy of if T1/T2--it was The Force Awakens of this franchise. A fan fic by someone who seemed to be an actual fan of the original films but wanted their own characters to do all the things.
Yeah I agree. There's a weird "women are strong and femininity is bad" undertone. It's in your face and subtle at the same time.
To me, the two most interesting characters in the movie we're Carl and grace. Carl gets some exposition on what happened to him but grace just gets "I'm enhanced." I would have liked to have gotten more of that. Is that common in the future? What are the risks? Is it basically a death sentence due to the increased metabolism and fight or flight response?

Mackenzie Davis was pretty amazing in the action scenes and I don't think it can be said enough. But I also think the characters were all pretty shallow

Slaanesh69

Millie's Staff Member
So aside the whole Marvel thing, which is already comics from the 60s-80s what has hollywood done thats fresh and new in the past 10 yrs? Its nothing more than regurgitation of the past.

I have a theory why this is happening. Hollywoood has become this closed off, walled off cesspool of nothing more than nepotism now, MCI friends and family, and if youre not in the club youre out. This is why there are no more fresh ideas, no more Terminators, Aliens of today being made.

While I agree that Hollywood has become an incestuous cauldron of delusion, I think risk aversion is what has killed the entertainment industry.

More and more studios are being run with an iron fist by bean-counters and analysts, so the bottom line has not only trumped but quashed most forms of independent creativity.

As stated, there are still decent independent, creative movies, but that fraction has dropped substantially in the last 10 years. So more "xxxx-IV" movies and less new names.

The video game industry is suffering the exact same fate. The large franchises just pump out iterations while indie games take a small corner. With the way video games are distributed nowadays though, the indie game developers have a slightly easier/better avenue to success than indie film developers.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
i think Passengers is probably the best example of what happens in the current world of hollywood when you get a new IP with a medium budget.

passengers was a mostly forgettable movie, despite having a lot of great potential... the problem is that when you get an incredibly likeable main star and a leading lady that has a sordid history with unclear evidence... i can guarantee that chris pratt wasn't meant to be the hero of the story. originally there was all this ourage about chris pratt getting paid way more than j-law, which didn't make sense because he had significantly more screen time. she doesn't even show up until half way through the movie. i think, originally she was meant to be the POV character. if you re-watch it there are several scenes where chris looks... vaguely sinister. i think the idea is that we, as the audience, aren't supposed to be sure whether or not he's being honest when he says that the same malfunction that woke him up is what woke her up.

here, watch this. this guy posits that it'd just be interesting if the film was reshot, but i think that's how it was originally SUPPOSED to be shot, but the studio wouldn't allow chris pratt to be a villain and forced reshoots and re-edits into what it is currently.

i think ultimately it came down to the studio being afraid to let an artist's work be what it is. there's no room for anything less than blockbusters so the producers and studios just get too involved and neuter it into sterility. people are so afraid to fail that they create a failure
God this movie frustrated me. Cliche sappy love story given a sci fi paint job. Even with that it was so easy to make it a decent movie at the end but nope, stupid ass feel good Hollywood ending.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user