Terminator (2019)

spronk

FPS noob
yeah the whole part where the major brings two EMP grenades to sarah with just 1 dude riding shotgun with him was bizarre. It was so easily fixable too, they could have had him be Miles Dyson son so HE KNOWS WHATS UP but nope, random military dude helps basically Osama Bin Laden and no one on the base ever says "wait what the fuck thats Osama Bin Laden what the fuck are we giving her a plane for"

oh man just imagine if Sarah told the US military what was gonna happen after T2 and had proof and they had an elite Terminator kill/capture squad ala Predator 2. Woulda probably still sucked balls, but in a way cooler way

Narac01

Trakanon Raider
oh man just imagine if Sarah told the US military what was gonna happen after T2 and had proof and they had an elite Terminator kill/capture squad ala Predator 2. Woulda probably still sucked balls, but in a way cooler way

They already did this kind of. It's called Aliens and it was fucking great.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
It's ok, jozu and j00t is close enough that we think you're the same poster anyway.

• 3Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 3 users

Jozu

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Haha sorry.

The timeline shit is so fucking preposterous its amazing they went with it.

Inque

FunEmployed
I pirated it and glad I didn't waste money on this schlock...
Arnold grew a conscience - after killing John - and meeting a random, abused woman to take care of for the next 20 years, while giving Sarah Conner "purpose" by outing additional Terminator's...why would they additional Terminator's over the next 20 years if the mission succeeded? Unless this is reference to Legion? Arnold sensed the time travel shenanigans but still.

Sarah Conner continues to kill said Terminator's...why? I guess because she had nothing else to do being Wanted in 50 states.

No explanation why Danny is the chosen woman, except she simply refuses to let a machine make choices for her and so the Legion program is afraid? LOL...

End of the movie, they drive away in a Jeep with Sarah tossing Danny the keys as a nod to character growth (remember, early on their reference to her being unable to drive, now she driving) - then Sarah says to get ready for what's coming. What, what is coming? Legion? So it's inevitable, but no build up, no explanation about what Legion is except a War-games Artificial Intelligence. I cared nothing for the characters in this movie and most of the action scenes were so over the top and justified as Grace was an augmented human for an explanation to surviving those shenanigans, until the end (seriously, what purpose did augmented humans serve - no explanation except 'to destroy a Terminator in minutes or die').

I face palmed a LOT during this movie, and just like Linda Hamilton, very tired of the bullshit.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
i'm not spoilering it because who cares...

i've seen several people say it's a plot hole that terminators keep showing up (despite skynet being defeated in t2). it's not a plot hole at all. skynet-that-was simply sent back several terminators at once but all to different points in history. so in reality, when the t1000 was sent back, carl (and others) were sent to other points in time as a backup.

i'm not defending the movie because it is what it is... just the series has always played fast and loose with the time travel. this explanation is perfectly acceptable

• 1Like

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
i'm not spoilering it because who cares...

i've seen several people say it's a plot hole that terminators keep showing up (despite skynet being defeated in t2). it's not a plot hole at all. skynet-that-was simply sent back several terminators at once but all to different points in history. so in reality, when the t1000 was sent back, carl (and others) were sent to other points in time as a backup.

i'm not defending the movie because it is what it is... just the series has always played fast and loose with the time travel. this explanation is perfectly acceptable
What would be the need for mutiple timeline terminators? They configured each timeline they would fail. Why not send all their terminators to just one timeline and ensure the job got done right the first time?

spronk

FPS noob
or why not go back further, why not send a specialized "builder" terminator that builds the infrastructure it needs in 30,000 BC to ensure humanity never even makes it out of Africa Noahs Ark or kill Sarah's great great grandma etc

its always a problem with time travel movies, T1 & T2 handled it great by explicitly stating "these were the only ones sent, the time machine was destroyed afterwards" (T2 kinda stumbles on that point I feel but it doesn't go out of its way to fuck it up) whereas Dark Fate goes out of its way to make everything a mess, similar to how in TLJ the "Holdo" manuever of ramming another ship at lightspeed is a massive (apparently new) military strategy that fundamentally alters the nature of war and will never be addressed ever again.

you do have to accept it as movie magic at some point but its the difference between a movie crafted with love and absolute thought behind every second on screen - Mad Max, John Wick, Logan, Blade Runner 2049 - and usual shit like Transformers or this. Its just sad someone gets a budget of $185m and doesn't do it justice and kills the franchise for the 3d time in 10 years.

• 1Like

Fadaar

That guy
It's especially dumb in 2019 where we've had UAV's for many years now that can take out a car moving at full speed no problem from 25,000 feet in the air. Send back a UAV at a date/time they know their target is traveling in a vehicle on the interstate, easy target.

j00t

What would be the need for mutiple timeline terminators? They configured each timeline they would fail. Why not send all their terminators to just one timeline and ensure the job got done right the first time?
no, they sent them back to the same timeline, just different points. so 1983, 1992, 1995, etc

j00t

and yes, this is a movie that ultimately had no real reason to be made. in order for this plot even to exist you have to do a large amount of handwaving

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
no, they sent them back to the same timeline, just different points. so 1983, 1992, 1995, etc
sorry, i meant points of time. why send them all singly when they could just send a bunch at once at one point in time and clobber whatever the resistance has sent for protection? one terminator was almost unstoppable. imagine 3 or 5 terminators at once. even more increible they sent the lowest tech terminator first. their weakest one.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
sorry, i meant points of time. why send them all singly when they could just send a bunch at once at one point in time and clobber whatever the resistance has sent for protection? one terminator was almost unstoppable. imagine 3 or 5 terminators at once. even more increible they sent the lowest tech terminator first. their weakest one.

Arnold describes the T-1000 as an advanced prototype, it may not have even existed when the T-800 was sent back in Terminator.

The future in T3 is an alternate higher tech future where the Resistance had captured and reprogrammed so many T-800s and T-850s that Skynet developed the T-900 series, combining that with the mimetic polyalloy to create the T-X.

The T3 pattern continues in future movies where the newer, crazier terminator models are a product of different timelines.

Runnen

Vyemm Raider
or why not go back further, why not send a specialized "builder" terminator that builds the infrastructure it needs in 30,000 BC to ensure humanity never even makes it out of Africa Noahs Ark

Is that how you get Terminator dinosaurs? Cause I kinda want Terminator dinosaurs.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Pharazon2

Molten Core Raider
Saw the movie, it was whatever.

Thread is just making me want to go back and watch The Sarah Conner Chronicles. I was just randomly reminded of one of the terminators in that show who was sent back to the 20's or something, started a construction company?, sealed himself in the walls of one of their buildings for decades but I can't remember why...

Oh shieeet, looks like the show is back on Amazon Prime video right now. Gonna have to hit it up before its gone again!