Terminator Genisys (2015)

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I like that ending, or at least the idea of it. I would have preferred that ending, except left more ambiguous. Like, they walk in, his eyes flash red and then fade to black. So maybe he kills them, or maybe the resistance is now led by a terminator. Would have been nice to show summer glau and reference tscc. But whatever

Jait

Molten Core Raider
The original Terminator scared the fuck out of me when I was a kid and only helped give me more Reagan era nightmares about nuclear holocaust. The dark terror of the original is what's been missing ever since IMO. Thought 2 was ok but by that point Arnold was a popular household name so they couldn't really use him to terrify you anymore.

Brad2770

If they rebooted this series, but used Cameron's "movie on a budget" approach, I think it would do well. Real special affects and not CGI. I don't mind the plot changes, because if I wanted the original, I would watch the original.

Side note, the dump truck driver at the beginning of the original cracks me up every time I watch it. Funny stuff.

Aaron

Goonsquad Officer
<Bronze Donator>
The original Terminator scared the fuck out of me when I was a kid and only helped give me more Reagan era nightmares about nuclear holocaust. The dark terror of the original is what's been missing ever since IMO. Thought 2 was ok but by that point Arnold was a popular household name so they couldn't really use him to terrify you anymore.
I actually think that was the point. In T1 Arnie was supposed to terrify you, and he did. In T2 he was now playing the role of the (albeit cybernetic death machine) underdog to the T-1000 so he was no longer supposed to terrify you, the T-1000 was. This is also where T3 failed, as by then Arnie was already too old to be certifiable as any type of cybernetic death machine, and that chick, while certainly bangable, was in no way, shape, or form passable as a Terminator.

ohkcrlho

If they rebooted this series, but used Cameron's "movie on a budget" approach, I think it would do well. Real special affects and not CGI. I don't mind the plot changes, because if I wanted the original, I would watch the original.

Side note, the dump truck driver at the beginning of the original cracks me up every time I watch it. Funny stuff.
But why reboot? Was the original story bad? Was the movie bad? No! On the contrary, both were awesome.
3 and 4 were shit but at least they could have done something afterwards. We never saw skynet ultimate defeat and what happened before kyle and arnie used the time machine.
But yeah, now everything is easier if the original stuff is forgotten and new stuff appears, mostly shit of course.

j00t

Thing is, we all want more terminator. Problem with that is without doing a reboot, there isn't much more story to tell at this point. There was an old terminator fps made by Bethesda about 20 years so that, if I remember correctly, would make a cool movie. It was about the resistance and how they dealt with the transition from the metal chassis to the skin jobs. It showed the t-600's and how from afar they looked human but up close they were easily found out.

That's an interesting aspect of the story, but it can't be THE story because things just get worse from there. On top of that, it would essentially show skynet tech that is worse than what we've already seen.

From a storytelling standpoint, you basically HAVE to do a reboot in order to introduce any kind of dread back into the story.

ohkcrlho

"We"?? I know the majority want to see more terminator mainly because.... of it roots (T1 and T2). Although that is a problem: when we like something, we want to continue enjoying it until it gets faded and that is not good.
The same thing with Star Wars, Alien, etc....
And let s not start with videogames and tv series.
I said before, i wanted to see a movie about the future but back in 1980's or early 1990's, with michael biehn still in his prime and a not too old arnie. But now it's impossible, so now i just shrug and imagine how awesome that movie could have been.

Terminator 2 has a satisfying ending. If they want to do more, just make movies in the future scenario. But when they did it, wrong year, wrong story, wrong actors, wrong everything lol

All good things come to an end but most of the time we refuse that idea and we keep going until it gets saturated and then we say "damn this is now boring". No shit!

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
But why reboot? Was the original story bad? Was the movie bad? No! On the contrary, both were awesome.
3 and 4 were shit but at least they could have done something afterwards. We never saw skynet ultimate defeat and what happened before kyle and arnie used the time machine.
But yeah, now everything is easier if the original stuff is forgotten and new stuff appears, mostly shit of course.
Just think of it like Batman

Batman 1989 pretty awesome
Batman Returns, a bit wonky but still entirely watchable
Batman Forever, holy shit
Batman & Robin, holy shittier shit

They needed to reboot to 2005 Batman Begins to get rid of that stench, almost 10 years.

Terminator follows the same pattern.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
I think Batman Forever is a kids movie. I was a kid when it came out and I liked it - mostly because I thought Jim Carrey was the funniest dude in the world. Chris O'Donnell is lame though.

Asshat Brando

Potato del Grande
<Banned>
Marcus should have led the resistence and they just let Connor die, would have been the best part of Salvation and give the planned 2 films a new direction to go. Instead it was just utter shit, oh well....

Kreugen

Vyemm Raider
With time travel and the idea of unlimited possible futures, the ability to reboot is unlimited. Every Terminator movie has been a reboot. Even the FIRST movie couldn't have been the first iteration of things, because then it'd be a paradox (daddy from the future) The only constant the story needs is Skynet blows up the world and a Conner leads the resistance. T4 could have had Conner die leading to Marcus executing a plan to create a new past where Conner lives, because Conner is always the key to winning. Even using the original ending (Termiconner kills them all!) could have led to a sequel where they fight to erase that outcome.

T2 stopped the future where Skynet had a huge advantage right out the gate because of Dyson's research of the terminator remains. The ending wouldn't have stopped the war, but it probably made a human victory more likely.

What can make the movie work is how well they can pull off a CGI 80's Arnold. It was the only good 20 seconds of T4.

Goatface

would only been a paradox in a single timeline. don't know if cameron has ever stated which theory he was going with, but couple others have said they were going with multiple timelines.

ohkcrlho

terminator_genisys_1.jpg

Maybe the problem is not photoshop lol look at his head

terminator-genisys-cast-720x340.jpg

Asshat Brando

Potato del Grande
<Banned>
Who are releasing the pictures for this film so far? If it's the producers of the movie itself then there truly is no hope for this....

Dyvim

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Is that a shooting action double in the pic? Cause it doesnt look like Emilia Clarke.

Brad2770

I'm assuming the guy on the right is some sort of T-880 or whatever. At least he has the pale, no brow look of the original Terminator.

j00t

No, Varro just don't take no gruff. I mean it could be, but I'd rather not examine these pictures for plot points.

Edit: ha, oh wow... Jai Courtney (guy on the right) is kyle Reese...
Edit x2: stormshadow is the t-1000