Terraria

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Big giant minecart track and a megashark made pretty short work of the eye tins. Felt kinda cheese but meh, I don't see any way to really fight them "fair" in my usual arena with how fast they are and how sticky their AI is to the pincer setup.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
There's plenty of cheese strats if you want to bother building them which is fine, it's what makes the game fairly unique.

Summoner is definitely the hardest class to play, it's the squishiest but still requires to be somewhat close to enemies and your damage will sometimes decide to not actually work if you're moving too fast and stuff so you need specific summons, some of which are a big pain to farm(dread nautilus bats are excelent, but fighting the boss is ultra cancer at the point you'd want the bats). Every other class does stuff a lot easier, either by outranging while having good DPS(ranger and mage) or by being a lot tankier with superior damage at the cost of range(melee, the damage is from after the rework). Summoner meanwhile is just not as much damage or range and is made of paper. Advantages are farming stuff and eventually once you get Terraprisma you just melt everything but that's both pretty late(post planterra) AND it's the hardest fight in the game, which if you want to do as summoner you can't cheese very well either because your damage is so ass when carting around at full speed.

Since I like pain and summons however, I started a Calamity master revengeance summoner run. I didn't play Calamity the last time I played Terraria because it was still on 1.3 and it felt awful going back to 1.3 after playing 1.4, and while it is on an older patch atm, the difference isn't nearly as bad(it's 1.4.3 instead of 1.4.4 but 1.4.4 didn't add that much and a lot is qol that can be emulated via mods, like don't need to shimmer dupes when you can just craft everything on calamity anyway and void bag inventory isn't a big deal with the magic storage mod either).

Last edited:

Caliane

yeah, summoner is just weak really. iirc, the master world, started summoner, but really just kept falling back on magic to actually kill things.

if you don't care about "class". and mix and match theres lots of powerful options at every level. Chlorophyte bow iirc is very strong. my first moonlord kill in expert was with a solar eruption, in a "ranged" build. cuase that thing was just so much more effective.

It sounds like you haven't played in a long time ronne. Nurse strat was outdated a very long time ago. make sure you are up to date on stuff. the newer potions as I noted. other temp buffs like well fed. you can get the summoner table asap. Crystal ball from the wizard.
sunflowers for speed.

The dryad is a better ally. her defensive buff, and aoe damage. but she can also die.

the mounts.

Personally I've NEVER used minecart paths.

Caliane

Came back since realizing I hadn't finished that master run.

ooph golem was giving me a hard time. took like 13 trys. granted, most were dry runs with no buffs to figure out which weapons were working best, and get patterns down.
Finally got two kills in a row.. while 3rd with buffs still up.. failed.
magic run.

bast statue, heart lantern, firestar lanterns all up

added gnome, honey pits in later attempts..

Tried a platform up top at one point. failed badly. tried teleporters. I don't think you can wire in there anymore.

Eventually put platforms at midlevel/spawn point, to flatten out the floor. this worked. I think this was the big difference in finally getting some kills. honey pits at the ends.
The floor was really bad.

weapons.
old man ballista. nimbus staff. 3 death spheres. and rainbow gun. put up adding persistent damage. rainbow gun needs to be reapplied every min or so.

main dps weapons.. was a big ?? had, inferno fork, magnet sphere, rainbow rod, and spectre staff.
magnet sphere was being applied as a persistant weapon, but much shorter duration. very unclear which of the others is actually best.
inferno did work well versus hands. maybe I should try swapping tos pectre on phase 2, for its homing versus his faster movement.

armor. another.. not sure on best. spectre damage, or healing? ended up swapping spectre pants for apprentice. very high crit rate.

worm scarf, manacloak, charm of myths, frostspark, mothron wings, ankhshell, and moonstone. (totally forgot to fight at night acouple times.)

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
I used just spectre rod in my legendary run. Well nimbus+frost hydra+rainbow rod+magnet sphere refreshes with I think deadly sphere summon at that point, but rest was purely spectre rod, it's just very good at this point in the game because you don't need to aim precisely and it keeps piercing and hitting multiple targets constantly, and even with just one target it pierces then hit it again multiple times. Inferno fork is ok for this fight but on legendary golem is small as fuck and moves really fast so it's hard to keep him in the effect, while spectre just ignores the whole issue since it tracks. Also you can't block his punches so the fork effect is a lot less useful.

Armor I used the spectre damage version, even though usually I did defensive setups and kinda planned on using hallowed > turtle for all of hard mode, spectre armor damage is so ridiculous it cheeses in its own way so I just relied on dodging properly instead and used it for golem/acolyte/moonlord. One accessory that was nice for this fight you could replace ankh with was master ninja gear. The dash would let me quickly change directions in the smaller arena and dodge under him when he was jumping over me. Also comes with 10% evasion which isn't very reliable but nice enough. Also didn't have moonstone, instead I ran with Star Veil for all of hardmode(longer iframes means you don't get stuck in death loops when a boss is on top of you). Every acc rolled to Warding.

I did pull him out of temple though, made a rather small arena just under, same width as the room I had but perfect square unlike the stupid room it generated, which means I didn't get stuck on stuff. I didn't use honey in any of the fights cause I was too lazy to setup and I remembered last time I used honey in my summoner run I'd sometimes get caught while slowing down ever so slightly to dip in and it just wasn't worth it. I had everything else though, 3 heart statues, bast and then all the usual stuff.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Man Calamity is really fun, the creative guys did a bang up job with all the new music, monsters, bosses, weapon sprites, biomes and all that, it's a really cool adventure and feels a lot like a Terraria 2.0 kind of thing.

But the balance guys are your standard fanmade content stuff, it's so fucking bad. Might be because I'm playing summoner but the summons are hilariously poorly balanced. You get so many summon weapons from every fucking boss and inbetween too, so I've been getting every single one of them because that's fun, but most of them are utter shit. It's sad it took until the mech bosses that I found something better than the Perforators weapon(which is the boss right after brain in prehard mode to give you an idea how far that is). Skeleton prime specifically, the Twin eye vanilla weapon is also shittier. Now that's largely because that weapon is overpowered as fuck, but even then you had massive differences between all the early hard mode weapons. And this new weapon? Almost 3times as good. Not sure when I'm gonna replace that, Terraprisma if I farm it maybe but I don't know if I want to do empress too early. Looks cool as fuck too, floating turrets that stick to you and fire big red lasers at shit.

Anyway just a small rant, it's been challenging but overall not that bad, but I think it wouldn't have been nearly as easy if I hadn't been using those summons.

Caliane

ha. yeah, calamity was made back in what, 1.3.5? back before lots of summoner stuff was added to vanilla. they wanted to fill in gaps clearly.
But summons are always 90% shit. either too slow, or grounded, or get stuck on walls, etc.
And usually you only have 1choice at any tier, so have to use whats there.

I feel like I never finished calamity either. wonder where I stopped exactly. was doing abyss stuff for sure.

looking at the wiki, Im pretty sure I wasnt playing summoner when I did. although I did pick up a few of them.
Black Hawk Remote iirc the black hawk from wall, looked solid.

I did go back and slaughter golem. reforged my spectre staff from godly to mythical, and used it exclusively swapped back to full spectre armor. added a heart statue timer, which I hadn't done originally. And moonstone upgraded to celestial. those small changes did just easymode it..

Then I burned myself out on martian, pumpkin, and fishron failures. burned too many potions.. did get one kill on martian, and have it "down", esp with having banners up now too. but still too close to "farm".
can't hide from death ray anymore. you need to be able to avoid it. was not using eye shield or ninja gear, which again, probably would help alot with changing direction instantly to dodge the beam. its also mentioned to dodge fishron often. I only tried him once, fought at night, and kindof lost track of him, and just basically suicided..
using witch mount.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
ha. yeah, calamity was made back in what, 1.3.5? back before lots of summoner stuff was added to vanilla. they wanted to fill in gaps clearly.
But summons are always 90% shit. either too slow, or grounded, or get stuck on walls, etc.
And usually you only have 1choice at any tier, so have to use whats there.

I feel like I never finished calamity either. wonder where I stopped exactly. was doing abyss stuff for sure.

looking at the wiki, Im pretty sure I wasnt playing summoner when I did. although I did pick up a few of them.
Black Hawk Remote iirc the black hawk from wall, looked solid.

I did go back and slaughter golem. reforged my spectre staff from godly to mythical, and used it exclusively swapped back to full spectre armor. added a heart statue timer, which I hadn't done originally. And moonstone upgraded to celestial. those small changes did just easymode it..

Then I burned myself out on martian, pumpkin, and fishron failures. burned too many potions.. did get one kill on martian, and have it "down", esp with having banners up now too. but still too close to "farm".
can't hide from death ray anymore. you need to be able to avoid it. was not using eye shield or ninja gear, which again, probably would help alot with changing direction instantly to dodge the beam. its also mentioned to dodge fishron often. I only tried him once, fought at night, and kindof lost track of him, and just basically suicided..
using witch mount.
Na Black Hawk wasn't even close, I thought it'd be my upgrade but even with explosive bullets it was very disappointing, the summon I'm referring to are crazy good, they're basically like the flying swords in hard mode from Queen slime, they have stupid speed, fly and once they stick on a target they just repeatedly attack very quickly(they have much lower frame immunity, and it's localized cause even with 8 of them they all do damage). So even though they only hit for 20, they did more damage than summons with 70dmg and stuff. The lasers I got are way better though, completely melted every boss I've fought since(although a few were challenging). Was great for farming too, literally just use the flying mount I got from pirate to stay in the air and go afk mid event and everything died.

On your "problem", I'd say just don't do it that way. Go do Lunar Cultist, kill him cause he's easy as fuck, I did pumpkin moon once first to get the broom mount which is very good now and the bat staff for better single target but pretty sure just spectre staff and wings would have done the job, the surface is just cancer on the everything seed so flying permanently was a big thing. Then do Nebula pylon and craft either of the Nebula weapon(both if you don't mind likely having to redo pylons to craft more moon lord summon items). That shit fucking destroys everything, the glove is what you want to use on Moon Lord since it does ridiculous single target damage, but the orb thing is better for handling trash and stuff. Do Stardust for the dragon summon too, even with just the summoning table that shit does good damage.

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
I forgive their "final update" announcement goofyness when it's a dev team who obviously has an incredible passion for their game. I'd love a T2 where they could figure out how to keep exploration going throughout the mid/late phases, but damn if this isn't a near perfect game as is, with an insane mod community that gives it a retarded amount of re-playability.

Caliane

I forgive their "final update" announcement goofyness when it's a dev team who obviously has an incredible passion for their game. I'd love a T2 where they could figure out how to keep exploration going throughout the mid/late phases, but damn if this isn't a near perfect game as is, with an insane mod community that gives it a retarded amount of re-playability.
damn. well first to this, I wasn't sure. corruption/hallow mechanic I think itself is already that mid game exploration system, making you redo areas you skipped over, or revisit. A great mechanic so many other games of this type completely ignore. especially the conan/ark style survival ones.
The end game should be mastery over the world though, more exploration isn't really needed. I think the game is largely just fine on this point.

Calamity does add some of this though. Abyss, etc. A few areas that are gated via unbreakable blocks and super tough monsters.

But while thinking about it, I did consider, full areas that were hidden, or blocked off. like space, or.. What would be the most amazing thing. A secret update. let you mine below hell, generates a whole new inverse map. Whole new game down there. bosses, zones, etc. Either a sotn mirror castle reference, or center of the earth/dinotopia reference, or -1 world warp, where you drop down out of the sky to a whole new world.

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
damn. well first to this, I wasn't sure. corruption/hallow mechanic I think itself is already that mid game exploration system, making you redo areas you skipped over, or revisit. A great mechanic so many other games of this type completely ignore. especially the conan/ark style survival ones.
The end game should be mastery over the world though, more exploration isn't really needed. I think the game is largely just fine on this point.

Calamity does add some of this though. Abyss, etc. A few areas that are gated via unbreakable blocks and super tough monsters.

But while thinking about it, I did consider, full areas that were hidden, or blocked off. like space, or.. What would be the most amazing thing. A secret update. let you mine below hell, generates a whole new inverse map. Whole new game down there. bosses, zones, etc. Either a sotn mirror castle reference, or center of the earth/dinotopia reference, or -1 world warp, where you drop down out of the sky to a whole new world.

I think after hardmode, in both vanilla and calamity, is just finishing arena's and chaining bosses. There's usually zero exploration for me except identifying areas for arenas, protecting certain biome's and grabbing the ores you need to craft for the next boss, which can all be done with pretty much zero exploration. I'd like there to be good reason to go spelunking again after hardmode, besides just jumping into certain biomes to farm/grab what you need. I'd really like news chests, updated traps/danger and obviously we already have the stronger mobs, which for late game I'd like another jump or two up in strength.

These are pretty mild criticisms though, like I said, it's a near perfect game.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Yeah you do dig a bit to farm ores, but it's not like you go on a full blind exploration. And especially in Calamity when they spawn ores and shit in post moon lord, you're just mindlessly mining down huge parts of the map in a couple of minutes due to endgame pickaxes+all buffs(and that's not even talking about the mining armor sets they have in Calamity), you just bulldoze everything and collect the new ores in like 2-3mins and then it's back to bossing. The abyss is the only thing where you kinda have to take your time gathering and stuff when you go there the 2nd time due to how the difficulty can spike depending on depth.

Early hardmode has a decent bit of "new" stuff to discover, have to make a new arena in hallow for queen slime, new farm area for hallow stuff for pots, maybe manipulating desert for dark/light mummies and stuff like that but after that it's basically done. Sure you do need to get chloro after mech bosses and find fruits and planterra bulbs and then your temple(assuming you didn't spot it early on which is pretty easy to do) but that's barely a challenge by the time you get to it compared to the first run in the jungle.

The combat is really good in this though unlike most other games that have you mining and what not, which is why it's really not a problem once you get to bosses spam. You get cool upgrades, you still keep getting stronger and the boss keep getting crazier(relatively, playing expert or even master mode difficulty vanilla stuff after doing calamity death mode or worse stuff like infernum calamity and eternity fargo's souls is quite a joke) and so it's fun all the way imo.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
Yeah you do dig a bit to farm ores, but it's not like you go on a full blind exploration. And especially in Calamity when they spawn ores and shit in post moon lord, you're just mindlessly mining down huge parts of the map in a couple of minutes due to endgame pickaxes+all buffs(and that's not even talking about the mining armor sets they have in Calamity), you just bulldoze everything and collect the new ores in like 2-3mins and then it's back to bossing. The abyss is the only thing where you kinda have to take your time gathering and stuff when you go there the 2nd time due to how the difficulty can spike depending on depth.

Early hardmode has a decent bit of "new" stuff to discover, have to make a new arena in hallow for queen slime, new farm area for hallow stuff for pots, maybe manipulating desert for dark/light mummies and stuff like that but after that it's basically done. Sure you do need to get chloro after mech bosses and find fruits and planterra bulbs and then your temple(assuming you didn't spot it early on which is pretty easy to do) but that's barely a challenge by the time you get to it compared to the first run in the jungle.

The combat is really good in this though unlike most other games that have you mining and what not, which is why it's really not a problem once you get to bosses spam. You get cool upgrades, you still keep getting stronger and the boss keep getting crazier(relatively, playing expert or even master mode difficulty vanilla stuff after doing calamity death mode or worse stuff like infernum calamity and eternity fargo's souls is quite a joke) and so it's fun all the way imo.

The abyss is a perfect example of what I want more of, you gotta gear up to explore, then you explore to gear up, which lets you gear up to explore more biomes, beat more bosses ect. I feel like from the mid game you no longer have to explore to gear up (except the abyss in calamity). I'd love the cycle to be more nuanced throughout the whole game. More "zones" I guess.

And ya, the combat is so great in this game. Like I said, this is like in my top 10 games of all time. This is a god tier game.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
The abyss is a perfect example of what I want more of, you gotta gear up to explore, then you explore to gear up, which lets you gear up to explore more biomes, beat more bosses ect. I feel like from the mid game you no longer have to explore to gear up (except the abyss in calamity). I'd love the cycle to be more nuanced throughout the whole game. More "zones" I guess.

And ya, the combat is so great in this game. Like I said, this is like in my top 10 games of all time. This is a god tier game.
Although Ive never played it both my kids have 1000s of hours in this game spanning many many years. I guess I should give this a try.

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
Although Ive never played it both my kids have 1000s of hours in this game spanning many many years. I guess I should give this a try.

go in blind, figure our recipes and have fun for at least like 2 weeks before you start hitting up the wiki

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Caliane

Calamity mod got an update aug 1st apparently.

Amusing new items added.