Terraria

Bruuce

Blackwing Lair Raider
Do yourselves a favor and just google a world seed asap for sandstorm in a bottle and maybe even hermes boots for QoL. Boots gives you sprint and xxx in a bottle gives you double jump. Boots were fairly common but finding xxx in a bottle was pretty rng. And if youre progressing together, it kind of sucks when only 1 of you have the items.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Slaanesh69

Millie's Staff Member
Bought this on a whim today and played for 30 minutes or so. I have no idea wtf this is. Am I a miner? Is there a goal? No idea.

I had this bird on my head that attacked people for me so that was nice. Is there a way to enslave people to do some mining for me? That would be ideal. LMK if there is, I’m down to enslave for some ore.

It's basically 2D Minecraft with actual boss progression and loot. It is everything basic Minecraft SHOULD be, but without the 3D.

It is amazing and you will love it, both solo and with your kid.

Glad someone linked some resources, because it def does not hold your hand in game and give you any indication how to progress.

Now I want to play again.

193 hours played in Steam apparently.

Kaige

ReRefugee
<WoW Guild Officer>
The first play through of Terraria is great when you're learning the game. Nothing like being underground trying to survive using some little man-cave as a sanctuary.

Brikker

Trump's Staff
Bought this on a whim today and played for 30 minutes or so. I have no idea wtf this is. Am I a miner? Is there a goal? No idea.

I had this bird on my head that attacked people for me so that was nice. Is there a way to enslave people to do some mining for me? That would be ideal. LMK if there is, I’m down to enslave for some ore.

It's a fantastic game. Game progression

Did Starbound ever get released and worth playing? Bought years ago on the cheap but always heard it wasn't done or wasn't worth it?

• 1Salty
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

TheBeagle

JunkiesNetwork Donor
It's a fantastic game. Game progression

Did Starbound ever get released and worth playing? Bought years ago on the cheap but always heard it wasn't done or wasn't worth it?
I could never get into Starbound like I could Terraria. I've been meaning to try it out one more time but there's always some new shiny thing to check out instead.

• 1Like

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
Starbound's controls feel extremely clunky compared to Terraria's, and the progression seemed trash to me when I played it several years ago after it "released." I always wondered if it ever got better, but god combat was so bad.

• 2Like
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 2 users

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>

I'll play with you dude.

• 2Like

Caliane

its basically Metroid, with a billion times more class builds and progression, with town building, and the ability to just DIG through the ground.

• 1Like

Rime

<Donor>
And modding. The modding community has added hundreds of hours, if not more, of replayability to the game. New classes, biomes, bosses, gear, NPCs, etc.

• 1Like

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
Despite its popularity, I never checked out Terraria because when it came out sandboxy type games were very unappealing to me. My opinion on sandboxes changed after I got into Oxygen Not Included a couple years ago. Valheim looked pretty good to me and some are calling it the new Terraria so I decided to revisit the OG Terraria to see if it was still worth checking out.

Long story short, I’ve definitely been enjoying it. I started with Classic of course and have done almost all the encounters and made it to Moon Lord last night (I went in mostly blind and got my ass handed to me). After I beat Moon Lord I’m gonna check out journey mode, maybe expert. I’ve heard Master is just a bullet sponge and monster damage increase with no gameplay changes so that doesn’t sound that appealing to me.

Bruuce

Blackwing Lair Raider
Enemy droprates are like doubled in Expert/Master and Master has some drops that only drop in Master

• 1Like

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Despite its popularity, I never checked out Terraria because when it came out sandboxy type games were very unappealing to me.
Terraria is great because it's like a sandbox game and a Metroid-vania at the same time.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Caliane

Expert mode adds new items weapons, armor, tools, adds equip slots, and abilities to bosses. and increases damage/hp.

Master mode adds cosmetic items to bosses. pets, relics, etc. A couple mounts. admittedly pirate ship mount is the best in the game. no new skills. just more hp, harder bosses.

Expert is a must play. adds a ton of content. Master mode is much less so.

journey mode. Journey mode is like "streamer mode". it lets you change things on the fly, completely eliminating any difficulty if you want it too. its almost like playing with cheat menu enabled. if you have strong will power... .you can play normal, and take advantage of some of its basic quality of life improvements.
Its ability to just copy/paste items after you learned them also, takes away from the need to build farms, and the like though. which is a big part of the game imho.

• 1Like

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Said it several times in this thread, but once you beat the base game, I highly, highly recommend installing the Calamity mod and playing that. It's honestly amazing how developed it is compared to the base game.

It's what the final release of Terraria should have been: new items, new difficulty modes, new biomes, new classes, new music, and most of all, tons more bosses. What the actual developers came up with, with several years of extra work, is kind of sad in comparison.

• 2Like

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
Said it several times in this thread, but once you beat the base game, I highly, highly recommend installing the Calamity mod and playing that. It's honestly amazing how developed it is compared to the base game.

It's what the final release of Terraria should have been: new items, new difficulty modes, new biomes, new classes, new music, and most of all, tons more bosses. What the actual developers came up with, with several years of extra work, is kind of sad in comparison.
Edit: looks like I’ll need to get a hold of a 1.3.5.3 version of Terraria to use tmodloader and install Calamity.

Do you happen to know if Calamity works with the current patch or will I need to hunt down an old version?

Last edited:

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
I never got back to this. TJT TJT promised me a custom bromance adventure for us and never came through. Now that he doesn’t have power and is probably frozen to death that dream will probably never be realized.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I never got back to this. TJT TJT promised me a custom bromance adventure for us and never came through. Now that he doesn’t have power and is probably frozen to death that dream will probably never be realized.
Bleh I'm still around. It's hard to find time for shit man.

NOT DEAD YET!

• 1Worf

Caliane

Edit: looks like I’ll need to get a hold of a 1.3.5.3 version of Terraria to use tmodloader and install Calamity.

Do you happen to know if Calamity works with the current patch or will I need to hunt down an old version?
do you have terraria on steam?

I never played clamaity so was just looking into this, on that suggestion.
so, you can download tmodloader on steam.
and when you load up tmodloader, it automatically loads up a 1.3.5.3 version of Terraria.

Then tmodloader works like old school warcraft3, etc modding.. therse a browser right in it. dl calamity mod no music, and calamity mod music.

• 1Solidarity

Janx

<Silver Donator>
Just reinstalled now that tmod works. Can finally unfuck ultrawide support.

• 1Like