Terraria

Caliane

amazing how I immediately miss some of the 1.4 improvements. block swap in particular.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Nola

Trakanon Raider
Decided to pick this up and Don’t Starve on Steam since my friend gifted me Valheim. I was never into the survival type games but Valheim was so damn good. I played Don’t starve for about an hour and was really fun but I wanted to play Terraria. I watched a few streams of Quin69 playing it. I was so damn lost on what to do. The guide doesn’t help you much so I had to YouTube and wiki the hell out of the game just to get a decent concept on what’s going on. Really having a blast with the game. I thought I would hate it cause the game looks so damn retro but once I got into it the graphics doesn’t matter.

Last edited:

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Bumping this in case someone's interested but didn't see the news. Last week they updated this game, again. Last update was supposed to be the actual last update, but apparently they still felt like there was room for more. A lot of QoL changes were added, such as the Shimmer which is a special liquid that lets you trade unwanted loot for other variants if you're unlucky(for example throw in miner pants and get a miner shirt in return, or a molten charm and get a lava charm back and such) and the void bag being converted to almost a fully functionnal extended inventory(can use potions/food from it directly, craft with mats directly and so on). New items combinations that save space and so on.

Amongst the changes one of the more interesting one is the new special world seeds. That's what I'm playing atm and it gives a pretty fresh experience. They have the "getfixedboi" everything at once seed, which basically activates all the special seed. World has both corruptions, world generates more honey areas with a lot more queen bee spawners in the wrong places, world has hunger and darkness mechanics, for the worthy which adds new mechanics to bosses and now also increases the difficulty by +1, adding a new difficulty past master. Of the new seeds, one just adds a lot of traps everywhere making exploration super risky(they also added a new type of boulder, bouncing boulder, and in for the worthy normal boulders also split so yeah).

But the most interesting one is "don't dig up", which effectively reverse the world generation. You start in hell, on an "island" with new type of trees and only lava slimes around(which don't drop lava on death luckily) and you progress by going up instead. The layers are somewhere reversed, with the forest layer beind above a new small mushroom layer(similar to surface caves) then cavern and finally the surface which is entirely corrupted with very high spawn and low gravity.

It changes a lot of things you can do, like how you approach fights(can't build easy arenas in the sky since the surface is fucking horrible). Also makes progression pretty different. It also has a few item changes where some hardmode items drop in normal while some normal drop in hardmode, with stats adjusted. Also specifically a few items are shittier(I think it's just the star canons, because stars are spawned differently underground obviously).

Combined with fortheworthy it adds a pretty rough challenge that feels different enough from the basic terraria. It is however really challenging, I've probably died like 200times already and I just entered hard mode, every fucking shit enemy will wreck your shit and bosses are quite strong. Oh and also there's a new boss required boss in hard mode.

Anyway in case you haven't played Terraria, or you're bored and feel like playing again, it's a fairly nice new patch.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
It's impressive; at this point I thought they were full in on whatever the next terraria iteration was. The new/"replacement" boss is hilarious on getfixedboi. And by hilarious I mean fuuuuuuck "her" haha. Friends and I are going through it and we didn't realize tomestones spawn a graveyard biome now if you have enough. Most of the starting island was converted in like 15m of us starting, due to all 4 of us dying to the amped up damage on stuff/mimics randomly showing up and raping us. Ghosts absolutely suck when they start spawning all over the place. Definitely make an effort to clean those up or it is a rough time, especially since even if you start going upwards they will spawn under you and go through walls/terrain.

A lot of fun so far; highly recommend at least doing the upside down seed stuff at a minimum, or getfixedboi of you want to beat your dick with a rock for fun. Terraria Souls!

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
It's impressive; at this point I thought they were full in on whatever the next terraria iteration was. The new/"replacement" boss is hilarious on getfixedboi. And by hilarious I mean fuuuuuuck "her" haha. Friends and I are going through it and we didn't realize tomestones spawn a graveyard biome now if you have enough. Most of the starting island was converted in like 15m of us starting, due to all 4 of us dying to the amped up damage on stuff/mimics randomly showing up and raping us. Ghosts absolutely suck when they start spawning all over the place. Definitely make an effort to clean those up or it is a rough time, especially since even if you start going upwards they will spawn under you and go through walls/terrain.

A lot of fun so far; highly recommend at least doing the upside down seed stuff at a minimum, or getfixedboi of you want to beat your dick with a rock for fun. Terraria Souls!
Graveyard is from previous version, it's nice because it has a few specific items, notably the gravedigger's shovel, I made that super early cause it's really good at digging in most of the world. It removes 3x3 blocks if they're soft blocks(mud/ash/dirt/snow kind of stuff), which is the vast majority of your mining stuff when clearing out arenas or digging somewhere. Since there's so little stone in this seed it makes digging super fast other than near the surface.

It's definitely fun in a weird way, there's a lot more grinding involved and less "just wing it" stuff I did in the past even on master mode, and you really have to get your gear proper before bosses. I just started hardmode after beating wall of flesh yesterday. Now the big initial hard mode grind awaits me, need to grab a ton of stuff.

Caliane

you know, I never messed around with the special seeds. I just considered them easteregg/goofs. not full on new gamemodes, or calamity style reworks. guess I should.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
you know, I never messed around with the special seeds. I just considered them easteregg/goofs. not full on new gamemodes, or calamity style reworks. guess I should.
They definitely were before, For the Worthy was the only one slightly unique in that it added some new stuff to bosses but the previous version was still fairly minor. The new Don't Dig Up seed changes the game a lot and some of the changes to For The Worthy or the everything seed(not sure which is which) to bosses also make them more unique. It's not like Calamity where 90% of the stuff is brand new though, it's more like it's still the vanilla terraria, but different. It's similar to "New Game +" in the original Zelda, where it's still mostly the same stuff but they moved dungeons/caves around and it really fucks you up.

They also buffed melee a bunch which involved changing a bunch of weapons, so there's quite a few "new" weapons, kinda. Instead of most swords being "you swing, and it also fires a shitty projectile" variations, they removed most projectiles but added larger swing arcs and cool effects and the new weapons are pretty good. Been using Night's Edge a lot and it's excelent even in early hard mode. I still mostly use ranged weapons for bosses because bosses are bosses, but for trash clearing melee weapons are great now(and no ammo/mana issues) and on lower difficulties even bosses would be fine.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
They also buffed melee a bunch which involved changing a bunch of weapons, so there's quite a few "new" weapons, kinda. Instead of most swords being "you swing, and it also fires a shitty projectile" variations, they removed most projectiles but added larger swing arcs and cool effects and the new weapons are pretty good. Been using Night's Edge a lot and it's excelent even in early hard mode. I still mostly use ranged weapons for bosses because bosses are bosses, but for trash clearing melee weapons are great now(and no ammo/mana issues) and on lower difficulties even bosses would be fine.
Yeah I had no idea that melee was generally considered bad back when I did a playthrough, I just thought the game was surprisingly hard. Then I saw in the labor of love patch notes the dev flat out said 'melee has long been considered the worst of the three playstyles'.

Caliane

well sortof.

Summoner was always the weakest and least fleshed out. (theres 4 playstyles, melee, ranged, magic, and summon.) they've added new summons every path for like the last 4 patches to help. its fun... but weak even still.

Melee was always best for trash. knockback, no ammo, phasing through blocks. To make it viable versus bosses, as pyros noted, they gave all the melee weapons projectiles to make them psuedo ranged. Ranged/magic often gets blocked by random 1 voxel blocks that ruin them for cave exploration. melee wins there hands down.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Finally done with my run, it's a bit disappointing that a good amount of the later half is way less "new" than the first half. Mech obviously is great but after that planterra is fairly similar to normal mode just harder, golem has the new dark mode thing which just makes it really fucking stupid unless you fight him in front of a luminescent wall(and golem is still fucking stupid if you don't pull him out of his room if you RNG a bad room, mine had a big chunk missing from terrain generation so you can't even jump above him in half the room...) and couldn't really tell a difference with lunatic/moonlord.

I switched to full magic at the wall of flesh and it was fun since I hadn't played that before, there's some cool weapons and they buffed a lot of things to make them less annoying to use(nimbus lasts 5mins, sentries last 10mins, cursed flame wall lasts 5mins, rainbow gun lasts 40secs and such so you can cast a bunch of this shit and then forget about it for free damage). Struggled the most on mechdusa, largely because of the eyes I've never been good at avoiding the eyes, killed destroyer 5times and skeletron 3times before I got the eyes and planterra, made a way too small arena and didn't want to "waste" time expanding it, ended up wasting 7 bulbs before I said fuck it I'm doubling this shit, then it was too big and the middle was cavern so I had to refill it, it was a big fucking waste of time but literally one shot her after cause I wasn't constantly surrounded by shit and had room to kite.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Playing on master mode or whatever and I must be missing steps someplace in hardmode. Mechanical bosses all just feel completely impossible so far, even with a giant arena with statues/lanterns/honey etc and full potion buffs. I don't know what else I could be farming though if I've got a titanium and forbidden set?

Farmed gold for a while and rerolled all my trinkets to 4 defense and still doesn't even feel close. The damage they put out is so high you can't possibly heal through it with the potion cooldown, and everything goes through walls now so I can't even have a nurse in a box to heal me cause she just dies 10 seconds in to the fight. You used to be able to do the hardmode eye boss with a big arena and some kiting, but it feels like they changed the projectile tracking on it cause you just cannot actually evade damage anymore with how fast the lasers are.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Playing on master mode or whatever and I must be missing steps someplace in hardmode. Mechanical bosses all just feel completely impossible so far, even with a giant arena with statues/lanterns/honey etc and full potion buffs. I don't know what else I could be farming though if I've got a titanium and forbidden set?

Farmed gold for a while and rerolled all my trinkets to 4 defense and still doesn't even feel close. The damage they put out is so high you can't possibly heal through it with the potion cooldown, and everything goes through walls now so I can't even have a nurse in a box to heal me cause she just dies 10 seconds in to the fight. You used to be able to do the hardmode eye boss with a big arena and some kiting, but it feels like they changed the projectile tracking on it cause you just cannot actually evade damage anymore with how fast the lasers are.
You don't have proper accessories maybe? You want boots obviously for lateral speed, wings for flight(you can get wings as soon as you start hardmode, there's several types, easiest to farm is pixies need 99dusts+20 souls of flight which you get from the wyverns, can farm rare drop instead of pixies like large harpy feather and shit but it's all the same and pixies are reliable) and preferably a vertical accessory like cloud/sandstorm/blizzard in a bottle or in a balloon if you have a red balloon, or the fishing variant with pufferfish and tsunami in a bottle. Those help a lot with vertical speed, alternatively the queen slime mount is very efficient at vertical movement. It's 3 slots but mobility is really worth it in this. Also the defensive accessory from brain/eater, brain one is especially good.

Eye is imo the hardest though, the others I found easier to deal with in general. Destroyer you just want a piercing weapon and it's pretty straight forward just avoid backtracking if possible(longer arena). Skeletron Prime if you focus on some of the arms but not all of them you can make it easier, the "melee" arms are the most dangerous as they do high damage and track you, laser arm I think is the shittiest so best to leave it up as you damage the skull as much as possible. Piercing weapons at first then non piercing to focus fire. Once you kill another you get more options to deal with eye. For example you can get the steampunker to move in and buy the crafting station to make asphalt. Then you make your arena with asphalt instead and you can kite by just running super fast(can switch boots and ballong for something else even since asphalt alone is so strong). You can also get hallowed bars and if you farm another boss enough times, craft a full hallowed set which is a much stronger set than premech stuff. Some weapons are also available depending on class.

Depends on what class you're playing too, Summoner would probably be the weakest at this point as spiders are kinda bad for bosses imo and enchanted swords were nerfed somewhat heavily. Should still be your better option though since they fly unlike spiders.

Caliane

been a while, so Im not 100% on what the optimums strats are.

iirc, eyes you did still want a decent long arena. 3-4 screens or so long at least. iirc, slime mount helps alot. can outright bounce on them to swap back.
yes potions. regen, iron skin... fishing ones too though. endurance, lifeforce, magic power, mana regen, rage, swiftness, wrath.

got a class priority for weapons? magic, ranged, etc? iirc, meteor staff was good.
might have used meteor staff to annihilate destroyer as well I think. easiest to farm with meteor or something like it.

Although, I think the mana cost was a problem, and I might have tested it, but used something else to kill eyes. cursed flames maybe?

there are early hardmode armors. Although I don't remember which are which.. theres the spider summoning one asap, from spiders in caves.
edit, looked it up. ah titanium was hardmode. didnt even remember that..

Last edited:

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>

i'm doing master zenith seed and still on wall of flesh, i've figured out that you need to be a high tier mechanical player to be able to actually dodge the damage in these modes. you can only get hit very rarely.

Caliane

checked my old worlds to see if I could figure out which setup I had for mech bosses. didnt quite figure it out. But did realize I appearently never finished the master world. Looks like I stopped on golem. iirc, I got sidetracked doing the dungeon defender stuff.

I think i used flower of frost on the twins.
crystal serpant shotguning was possible too. or poison staff.
I think i would have had skyfracture there too. but don't think I used it.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Yea I gave up on the eye twins after failing them 3 times. I'd need either way more damage or way more defense/recovery since so much of their damage just never really misses.

I was able to kill the destroyer twice after some gear swaps, cause yea summons sucked wieners against bosses. The daggers just did no damage and spiders could never hit anything. Using a meteor staff with an uzi as backup while out of mana seemed to work okay.

Now that I've got some hallowed bars and farm an unholy trident maybe I can try the other two some more.

Using bat wings \\ worm scarf \\ sorcerer emblem \\ warding shield \\ terra boots \\ horseshoe balloon \\ charm of myths, all crafted with armor. I never gave the brain accessory much thought but I'll give it a try, probably over the balloon?

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
There's some pretty specific strats you want to use for each depending on where you are at in exploring the world.

Destroyer is -cake- with a sufficiently high enough platform and the Daedalus bow (get/make keys of light, put chests in a decent area to fight in, and then kill the resulting mimic until you get the bow) it doesn't require any line of sight and the rate at which the arrows drop from the sky increases as you hold it down. Double down for victory by getting jester arrows which pierce (though you don't need this)

Twins are annoying, but an easy tip is to make a railway that loops back on itself after 3-4 screens, and have barricades both above and below every few yards that don't block you shooting whatever spells/guns down the railway itself. This blocks basically all the ranged attacks, you'll get an invulnerability frame from the cart hitting them, and you can keep out of range of the flamethrower. With minecart speed. Daedalus bow is a little more difficult to work with on this, but still doable (I usually end up using it just to avoid having to farm another)

Worm Scarf is flat out better than the Brain deal in most cases, but having both is just ++ extra on survivability.

Skeletron Prime you just need to make a series of platforms (with heart lanterns, fires, etc of course) in like a 2x2 screen area. Cthulu Shield, boots, wings, and you should be able to dash around it to avoid getting murdered. Can use the Daedalus bow or the megashark easily enough; it all comes down to not outright murdering anything but to spread damage around as much as possible before you start killing the limbs, as the speed/rate of attack increases as each one is destroyed. Just keep flying up one side, dashing to get on the other side of it, and repeating as it changes sides on you, then just make sure you are semi-far away from the skull when it starts spinning/speeding up. The bonus of the shield causing a hit will also help you bounce off of it in the case you don't aim well. Haven't tried summons on these at all really, though having enough flying type summons to keep doing damage to it while you just focus on dodging is probably the best way to go about it with that style loadout.

Those have been my default go-to strategies forever, and they've worked in each mode type (regular, expert, master, etc)

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
There's some pretty specific strats you want to use for each depending on where you are at in exploring the world.

Destroyer is -cake- with a sufficiently high enough platform and the Daedalus bow (get/make keys of light, put chests in a decent area to fight in, and then kill the resulting mimic until you get the bow) it doesn't require any line of sight and the rate at which the arrows drop from the sky increases as you hold it down. Double down for victory by getting jester arrows which pierce (though you don't need this)

Twins are annoying, but an easy tip is to make a railway that loops back on itself after 3-4 screens, and have barricades both above and below every few yards that don't block you shooting whatever spells/guns down the railway itself. This blocks basically all the ranged attacks, you'll get an invulnerability frame from the cart hitting them, and you can keep out of range of the flamethrower. With minecart speed. Daedalus bow is a little more difficult to work with on this, but still doable (I usually end up using it just to avoid having to farm another)

Worm Scarf is flat out better than the Brain deal in most cases, but having both is just ++ extra on survivability.

Skeletron Prime you just need to make a series of platforms (with heart lanterns, fires, etc of course) in like a 2x2 screen area. Cthulu Shield, boots, wings, and you should be able to dash around it to avoid getting murdered. Can use the Daedalus bow or the megashark easily enough; it all comes down to not outright murdering anything but to spread damage around as much as possible before you start killing the limbs, as the speed/rate of attack increases as each one is destroyed. Just keep flying up one side, dashing to get on the other side of it, and repeating as it changes sides on you, then just make sure you are semi-far away from the skull when it starts spinning/speeding up. The bonus of the shield causing a hit will also help you bounce off of it in the case you don't aim well. Haven't tried summons on these at all really, though having enough flying type summons to keep doing damage to it while you just focus on dodging is probably the best way to go about it with that style loadout.

Those have been my default go-to strategies forever, and they've worked in each mode type (regular, expert, master, etc)
Daedalus got a pretty savage nerf didn't it?

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
Dunno about savage but it did get nerfed a bit with the Master mode patch:

• Desktop 1.4.0.1:
    • Damage reduced from 43 to 38.
    • When using Holy, Unholy, Hellfire, or Jester arrows, the bow shoots an average of 2.66 arrows per second instead of the normal average of 3.33 arrows per second.
It's definitely not as OP with the Holy arrows as it was (since the stars could trigger twice? I think on each arrow, so shitloads falling from the sky) but it's still very useful. Especially since it doesn't require line of sight, and fighting on the surface it's really powerful still. I used it recently for
Mechdusa
and it was still very powerful there. I typically run across the Wizard long before I have enough of whatever tier 3 metal to get a full set (titanium/adamantite) so usually just use the Endless Quiver with it.