Tex Murphy: The Tesla Effect

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
I'm at pretty much the same spot, but I think I found what to do after that:

Have you gone back to Tex's office?
Yep, well... I had to go to the lobby, and the bell was finally there. After talking to him Holly opened back up at the Golden Gate and everything progressed.

Really really loving this so far. Had to take a break to go out but am back and planning on being up for a while tonight continuing on.

Zulst_sl

shitlord
Just finished it in ~11 hours. Great game. And fuck anyone who played it in non-gamer mode. Some of those item locations were retarded.

Safe key in a seat cushion? Go fuck yourself.

Jait

Molten Core Raider
The puzzles are completely subjective. The wine bottle puzzle took me 5 seconds and others are saying that was the hardest. The checker board next to it? 3 fucking hours before finally using an old pirate's mantra. And others say that was easy. So it's kind of where your mind is I guess at the moment.

I'm at the house with Mantus. Incredible story so far, exactly what Tex Murphy has always been. Sure, you can see where the game would be much more fleshed out with millions to spend on it. But for 600k you can tell they spent every penny making a true sequel. I'm really hoping there's another Kickstarter in a year or so for a sequel.

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
So good, now I've been playing all the older Tex Murphy games memory lane I guess...

My problem though is that Overseer isn't loading for me. Might have to pull out my old computer and see if it still breathes.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
The puzzles are completely subjective. The wine bottle puzzle took me 5 seconds and others are saying that was the hardest. The checker board next to it? 3 fucking hours before finally using an old pirate's mantra. And others say that was easy. So it's kind of where your mind is I guess at the moment.

I'm at the house with Mantus. Incredible story so far, exactly what Tex Murphy has always been. Sure, you can see where the game would be much more fleshed out with millions to spend on it. But for 600k you can tell they spent every penny making a true sequel. I'm really hoping there's another Kickstarter in a year or so for a sequel.
So yeah... that wine puzzle

What am I missing here? I'm assuming 1879 is the hint, and there are four columns of 9 bottles. I tried pushing in 1, 8, 7, and 9, didn't work. Then tried leaving 1, 8, 7, and 9 pushed out, still no joy... nothing else looks even remotely helpful to point me in the right direction. Anyone else have a hint?

And yeah the Senet puzzle took like 5 seconds. Almost every game like this has had a variation on some chess puzzle. At this point think we've done them all. 7th Guests were by far the most infuriating as a kid and seeing them for the 1st time.

edit: I'm an idiot... never mind

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Finished it earlier today. Overall, it's definitely a solid entry in the series that any fan should be happy with.

That said, it's also really ugly outside of the FMV sequences. The world geometry and many of the textures look like they could have been copied directly out of one of the old games. The puzzles were also too easy for my tastes; anytime I got stuck it was because I knew what item I needed to find to solve a puzzle, but couldn't locate it in the environment without the flashlight sparkles being there in gamer mode.

If it wasn't a Tex Murphy sequel--something I never thought I'd see happen after so long--I'd probably give it about a 6.5. Tex deserves an extra +1 though, just because. I really hope they make another one and have enough extra in the budget to improve on all the non-FMV parts of the game as well.

Lusiphur

Peasant
I am really liking the look of this, not far in mind.
That being said, I started up Under a Killing Moon and I just can't play it. The movement mode is impossible on a modern computer. Mouse control just doesn't happen. Plenty of chat on the web about the WASD/Mouse in Tesla Effect being much better too. If anyone knows any mods or tweaks for the older game to make the controls well, work, then I would be very grateful.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Well did you ever play anything in this genre / style? If not it is hard to say and you may as well start with this. The old ones are going to come off as extremely dated and the level of 'camp' may not be as charming to you.

Otherwise Under a Killing Moon would probably be good. And you can go through from there.

Jait

Molten Core Raider
Well did you ever play anything in this genre / style? If not it is hard to say and you may as well start with this. The old ones are going to come off as extremely dated and the level of 'camp' may not be as charming to you.

Otherwise Under a Killing Moon would probably be good. And you can go through from there.
Yeah, he nailed it. It came out in a day and age where every video was like a little treat to watch. It holds a special charm for early 90s gamers who loved "multimedia" and puzzle games. I hope you like it, but I would never recommend this series to anyone who didn't love the originals. Kind of like LEXX, I think it's one of the greatest Sci-Fi stories ever (1-3), but I never recommend it to friends.

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
Going from Under a Killing moon would be a good introduction to the series from a story standpoint, and if you start with this one, I doubt you will be able to handle the movement mechanics of the old ones without getting upset. I tried Pandoras Directive again, and the only thing pushing me forwards is that I know I enjoy the story and puzzles, but I can't stand the movement of the old games anymore. I think both good old games and steam will award you one of the older ones by buying this (GOG lets you pick, steam gives you Pandoras Directive), and you can try them from there. Steam has a demo for this game, so can try that to see if you like it.

Under a killing moon, pandoras directive and the overseer though are all great stories, as Tex is the best PI ever. But as Jait said, they are nostalgic to the 90s FMV crowd, unsure how they would be received today. I enjoyed them immensely, similarly with the Ripper (that as a kid introduced me to the blue oyster cult)

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
....speaking of: 11th Hour was up on GOG for $1.49 this morning, wonder if I missed 7th Guest

Kreugen

Vyemm Raider
This was fun, if only for the humor. It can't be selling well because I sure as shit couldn't find a spoiler when I needed one. Yeah, watch a 20 minute fucking video to catch the part where he picks up a goddamn quarter off the ground. (the only thing I had to look up)

Siliconemelons

I was an 80s kid so I remember watching and reading about how awesome FMV games where and the 3d-i or whatever Philips cd was etc. the Daedalus Encounter (sp?) was one I distinctly remember watching demo CDs about and reading about how its crazy... and then one day with a bunch of friends watching "bad movies" i.e. cheezy movies- we found one with Michael Khoen (Chekov from Orig StarTrek) and it was like where they took an old FMV game and made it into a full movie lol oh it was terribad.

Jait

Molten Core Raider
I was an 80s kid so I remember watching and reading about how awesome FMV games where and the 3d-i or whatever Philips cd was etc. the Daedalus Encounter (sp?) was one I distinctly remember watching demo CDs about and reading about how its crazy... and then one day with a bunch of friends watching "bad movies" i.e. cheezy movies- we found one with Michael Khoen (Chekov from Orig StarTrek) and it was like where they took an old FMV game and made it into a full movie lol oh it was terribad.
There was one with Tia carre that was pretty bad too. Might even be the same game. Gabriel Knight 2 was probably the best. But Wing Commander 3 had the best combination of game and movie IMO. Loved that era of "multimedia"