Thats Racist ! (Rich old man in LA buys and sells black folks)

Royal

Connoisseur of Exotic Pictures
So at what % of ownership does it magically start to matter when an NBA owner is throwing black only parties or making racist comments in a private telephone conversation?
I'm guessing that they could force a minority owner to relinquish whatever percentage of the team they owned while the majority owner is left intact. Again, it ultimately comes down to how high profile the offense is. Remember Sterling has had federal lawsuits waged against him for housing discrimination without it ever ruffling enough feathers nationally or with the PA to provoke the other owners into action.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
So at what % of ownership does it magically start to matter when an NBA owner is throwing black only parties or making racist comments in a private telephone conversation?
It's a continuous spectrum of correlation to the NBA that is proportional to the amount of ownership.

The truth is that from the NBA's perspective this has little to do with morality and everything to do with business. If the peasants get riled up over some shit they will respond.

fanaskin

Well known agitator
<Silver Donator>
Remember Sterling has had federal lawsuits waged against him for housing discrimination without it ever ruffling enough feathers nationally or with the PA to provoke the other owners into action.
I know it fits a pattern but he was never convicted of any wrongdoing.

Royal

I know it fits a pattern but he was never convicted of any wrongdoing.
I realize that, but the threshold for "detrimental to the League" doesn't require that he be. His recent statements wouldn't get him convicted in a court of law either.

fanaskin

Well known agitator
<Silver Donator>
I dunno a reporter asked silver why nothing was done before about him and he said point blank there was no evidence of wrongdoing, which there was with the tape.

Royal

I dunno a reporter asked silver why nothing was done before about him and he said point blank there was no evidence of wrongdoing, which there was with the tape.
That's what's known as grabbing the most convenient fig leaf in a pinch. They're only pretending to take the moral high ground in this. You don't deflect the sort of backlash Sterling generated by bluntly stating "We didn't loose any sponsors over the lawsuits".

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
I don't see anything wrong with what Cuban said. It's refreshing to hear someone not pussyfoot around the issue and talk about it straight.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
I agree. If it looks like a thug, smells like a thug, it's probably a thug.

Royal

I don't see anything wrong with what Cuban said. It's refreshing to hear someone not pussyfoot around the issue and talk about it straight.
I felt the same way when I heard the entire statement. There's a lot of honesty, introspection, and nuance to what he said. I getsomeof the criticism that he's generated but it's good to see that it hasn't reached firestorm proportions.

joz123

Potato del Grande
Cuban has always been a no bullshit guy. Is anyone really surprised by the things he says anymore? He's always been dead honest about how he thinks and feels. He's the most fined owner in the league cause he always calls out the refs on the shit they should/shouldn't do.

iannis

Musty Nester
What Cuban said there is exactly right.

In order to solve a problem you have to be aware the problem exists in the first place and not befucking afraidof looking at it honestly. Even if by doing so you are reminded that shit stinks. Even your own shit.

What he did not do (there) was take it the step too far which every introspective bigot I have ever encountered has done.

"Everyone does this, and we should try to do it less. We'll probably never be able to stop doing it entirely" <-- right
"Everyone does this, it's human nature and the proper inclination of men and the reason why I'm better than them." <-- wrong

Royal

JJ's problem, and Al's also, is they have picked up so much baggage over the years that when they do say something along the lines of what Cuban said the initial reaction is to dismiss them out of hand just because of who they are. I know I find it hard listening to Sharpton for more than a couple of seconds at a time, no matter what he has to say.