The Americans

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
I think there is a solid chance it'd make my Top 10 or so, but it was an absolute all-time great when it was more "Spy-drama" than "Family-drama". Whatever point it was when they had a time jump in the middle of the season, it was pretty clear by then it wasn't quite the same show.

Still loved the show, but I miss the first two seasons.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
I don't agree with that. It started off as a spy drama and turned into a family drama. I think they were trying to mix the two but went too heavily into the family stuff. My preferred way for the show to end would have been with Stan not letting them go, and the consequences of that, followed by Paige staying behind and then covering the fall of the wall soon after, making the sacrifices they had to endure ultimately pointless. These two gave so much for their nation and it ended up not mattering, and that that was never covered was a major failing for me.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
I don't agree with that. It started off as a spy drama and turned into a family drama. I think they were trying to mix the two but went too heavily into the family stuff.

This exactly. It was pretty obvious the shows ending was always going to be "How does this affect the family" & "What do they do", but the first few seasons felt better paced when it was more split. When it abandoned a lot of the espionage stuff (Paige's arc) it lost what made the show great, at least to me, and that was the balance it had.

• 1Like

Jackie Treehorn

<Gold Donor>
I’ve got like ten episodes left of this shitpile on season six. I’ve come to hate this show. I hate Elizabeth, I hate her acting, the daughter stinks. If I wasn’t watching it remotely with a family member I’d just fast forward to the end and read synopsis of the episodes inbetween.

I hope Elizabeth is horribly mutilated and sodomized before being shot in the back of the head but I’m betting that doesn’t happen. I’m so tired of seeing her fight two men at once or choking out men twice her size, being a magic ninja one shotting people in the dark, etc.

Philip is okay, Stan has been a great character. At least Philip is sympathetic.

S5 was a slog and 6 is just awful. Uggggh. What a C-tier sack of shit show.

Last edited:
  • 1Picard
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
I’ve got like ten episodes left of this shitpile on season six. I’ve come to hate this show. I hate Elizabeth, I hate her acting, the daughter stinks. If I wasn’t watching it remotely with a family member I’d just fast forward to the end and read synopsis of the episodes inbetween.

I hope Elizabeth is horribly mutilated and sodomized before being shot in the back of the head but I’m betting that doesn’t happen. I’m so tired of seeing her fight two men at once or choking out men twice her size, being a magic ninja one shotting people in the dark, etc.

Philip is okay, Stan has been a great character. At least Philip is sympathetic.

S5 was a slog and 6 is just awful. Uggggh. What a C-tier sack of shit show.
When they introduced her dumb daughter, it was definitely added annoyance.

• 1Like

Jackie Treehorn

<Gold Donor>
When they introduced her dumb daughter, it was definitely added annoyance.
Oh god. It’s so dumb. Paige with a stupid disguise on and that perpetual hangdog downtrodden face walking around with mommy doing spy stuff.

In the span of 2 episodes or so she stopped being religious and then it was “herp, I’m a spy now and I’m not even fazed by mom shooting people feet from me.”

• 1Worf

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Why are you spending your time bitching about a tv show that ended 5 years ago? What's next? Reviews of "The Love Boat"?

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Oh god. It’s so dumb. Paige with a stupid disguise on and that perpetual hangdog downtrodden face walking around with mommy doing spy stuff.

In the span of 2 episodes or so she stopped being religious and then it was “herp, I’m a spy now and I’m not even fazed by mom shooting people feet from me.”
hoping the rest of the season gets better?

youre-gonna-to-have-a-bad-time.jpg

• 2Worf

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
I never got around to watching this, but I hear it was pretty good. Does any of it relate in the slightest of ways with current real world Russia problems?

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
I never got around to watching this, but I hear it was pretty good. Does any of it relate in the slightest of ways with current real world Russia problems?
It's pretty much entirely a Cold War period piece with no modern political spin.

Which is a good thing. People will be watching this show 100 years from now.

• 2Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 2 users

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
Yeah, great show but I don't think it has any modern day influence. One thing that you should know is that the show is as much about the relationship between the two main characters and their kids as it is about the spy shit. There's a fair amount of action but it's not 24 or even Homeland. The seasons cover a 10+ year period in the character's lives.

• 3Like

Jackie Treehorn

<Gold Donor>
The show has its moments and some great acting (the husband, Stan) but it also has a whole fuckton of awful. Do not go into this thinking it’s one of the top series like Sooranos, The Wire, Breaking Bad, etc. It’s a level or two below that in production value.

Being a child in the 80s, you can’t help but dig the nostalgia, Cold War shit.

What really ruined it for me is Keri Russel, not only her as an actress but her character. She can’t act for a god damn. Also, do you like movies or TV shows where it portrays a 105 pound woman beating up groups of men, GIRL POWER! style? Then you’ll love The Americans. Our little Keri is the most badass rootin’ tootin’ lil Russian firecracker around, boy-howdy. It’s just so fucking dumb. And she’s a total cunt on top of it.

You can watch it, and maybe enjoy it, but prepare to be annoyed. It’s just too bad Matthew Rhys didn’t have a better counterpart in his wife.

• 1Seriously?
  • 1EyeRoll

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
What really ruined it for me is Keri Russel, not only her as an actress but her character. She can’t act for a god damn. Also, do you like movies or TV shows where it portrays a 105 pound woman beating up groups of men, GIRL POWER! style? Then you’ll love The Americans. Our little Keri is the most badass rootin’ tootin’ lil Russian firecracker around, boy-howdy. It’s just so fucking dumb. And she’s a total cunt on top of it.

If you were wondering if the board had the requisite number of people who hate the female character for this show, the answer is yes.

• 1Worf
  • 1Like
  • 1Pathetic

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
We didn't mind the wife as much as the horrible actor + bad writing of the daughter.

• 3Like

Jackie Treehorn

<Gold Donor>
If you were wondering if the board had the requisite number of people who hate the female character for this show, the answer is yes.
To quote my super liberal gay coworker about this show, completely unprompted: “It was a little ridiculous with her fighting and killing everyone.”

It was just silly, not misogynistic. Her and the daughter were awful, not because they’re women, they just happen to be shite actresses, with bad lines, bad characters, and put into asinine situations.

• 1Like
  • 1Salty