The Americans

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
yea i don't see how the creme de le creme super super deep spies like felicity and guy, are like put off by how ruthless Tuan is. It's like the only way the show can show that these two whiteys can be the good guys is to show an even more sadistic yellow slant.

Is this a joke post? They made it crystal fucking clear in the first season that they were both idealistic kids when they were selected and didn't realize what they were getting into. Phillips ENTIRE story arc dealt with how conflicted he was at having to kill innocent people for some cause he wasn't sure he ever believed. Elizabeth is always shown as the one that is dedicated to the mother land and her entire arc this season was to show how she was coming around to the same conclusions as Phillip. Tuan is there as Elizabeth's instrument of change; he is what she was as a young spy and help her understand the difference between her younger and older self. It has nothing to do with his skin color since Elizabeth was arguably more sadistic even just a few seasons ago.

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
They've been ruthless and they've seen how little change they've actually made. And they've seen their own country betray the principles they thought it stood for. If push came to shove, I'm sure they would be willing to ice Pascha, even if they would be conflicted. The whole point of Tuan as a character, imo, is to show how different Philip and Elizabeth are now compared to S1.

Nobody in the show is good. Philip believes in a cause, and the cause is a good cause, but he does terrible things for the cause. And he's conflicted, but he does them anyway, and he questions the cause, but he can't question too deeply. Elizabeth has a single-minded trajectory, but doesn't consider the impact. The USSR betrays their principles and is a bed of corruption and nepotism. Stan "the man" is our great protector, and he uses and manipulates people and routinely breaks the law he was sworn to serve. There's no good guys.

• 2Like

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Is this a joke post? They made it crystal fucking clear in the first season that they were both idealistic kids when they were selected and didn't realize what they were getting into. Phillips ENTIRE story arc dealt with how conflicted he was at having to kill innocent people for some cause he wasn't sure he ever believed. Elizabeth is always shown as the one that is dedicated to the mother land and her entire arc this season was to show how she was coming around to the same conclusions as Phillip. Tuan is there as Elizabeth's instrument of change; he is what she was as a young spy and help her understand the difference between her younger and older self. It has nothing to do with his skin color since Elizabeth was arguably more sadistic even just a few seasons ago.

If you haven't noticed, Lanx looks at everything in the world in terms of racial stereotypes.

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
If you haven't noticed, Lanx looks at everything in the world in terms of racial stereotypes.
It's the only view that makes sense

like this latest imgur

these two decide to beat down a mom and kid...
HzYkDjw.jpg

over fried chicken, come on!!!
DDBJAfdXgAEUJYe.jpg

• 1Picard
  • 1Like

Aaron

Goonsquad Officer
<Bronze Donator>
Just finished watching series 1-3, they haven't gotten any further in the European shithole of a country I live in and I can't be arsed to torrent, so I'll have to wait, but damn this is a good show. I've read the comments here up until the end of S3 and no further, but I will add these comments, even if they may be a bit outdated for those who have watched further:

I agree with most here on the characters. Some great ones so far. Phil is by far the best, and most likable. You can feel the conflict rising in him, and the way he was trying to tell Liz that at the end of S3, just to have er shush him to listen to Regan shows that this conflict will hopefully become greater. I like how the Paige story is unfolding, and am actually enjoying the Jesus angle. I would have expected her to do drugs and become a "typical" girl teenager of neglecting parents like Kelly. Still, while I understand Control's desire to have a second generation asset be able to apply to the FBI or CIA, I think such a move would be seriously fucking risky seeing as the child would naturally have to have been raised to be as American as apple pie, as Paige is. There's nothing in her character that would suggest she would jump with glee at the chance to betray the country she has been raised to love (the USA).

Can't wait for S4 to come to this remove nook of Europe!

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
Just finished watching series 1-3, they haven't gotten any further in the European shithole of a country I live in and I can't be arsed to torrent, so I'll have to wait, but damn this is a good show. I've read the comments here up until the end of S3 and no further, but I will add these comments, even if they may be a bit outdated for those who have watched further:

I agree with most here on the characters. Some great ones so far. Phil is by far the best, and most likable. You can feel the conflict rising in him, and the way he was trying to tell Liz that at the end of S3, just to have er shush him to listen to Regan shows that this conflict will hopefully become greater. I like how the Paige story is unfolding, and am actually enjoying the Jesus angle. I would have expected her to do drugs and become a "typical" girl teenager of neglecting parents like Kelly. Still, while I understand Control's desire to have a second generation asset be able to apply to the FBI or CIA, I think such a move would be seriously fucking risky seeing as the child would naturally have to have been raised to be as American as apple pie, as Paige is. There's nothing in her character that would suggest she would jump with glee at the chance to betray the country she has been raised to love (the USA).

Can't wait for S4 to come to this remove nook of Europe!
s4 is like 20bucks

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
The premise sounded interesting, but I didn't watch more than the pilot when it first came out. Would you say it's worth revisiting?

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Damn I'll need a refresher on last season. Just remember it being weak compared to other seasons. I have faith this final season will be sick.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
The premise sounded interesting, but I didn't watch more than the pilot when it first came out. Would you say it's worth revisiting?

Absolutely. It's one of the better shows in this golden era of television. It's slow, but that'll make binging it good.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>

100%. Even if it isn't your style, if you can force yourself to watch most of season 1, you'll connect with the characters enough to watch the rest. It's slow, but it's been a really good show.

spronk

FPS noob
Great start, the opening montage was fantastic with everything shown on Elizabeth and Phillip's face with no words needed. The music getting louder while the general told Elizabeth was very weird, I assume it was sort of a PTSD reinforcement especially with the song choice (just follow orders). Its quite a big time jump, the talks they are referring in the show happened in Oct 1987 I believe and i think season 5 ended like around ... 1984?

Elizabeth kinda fucked up with the marine guard, she took back Paige's wallet but she left the guys wallet on the body which means police will automatically know its not just a robbery. Doubt there will be any fallout from that.

Great start to the season, hope they can keep the plot tight and focused and driven. Its gonna be Phillip vs Elizabeth soon I think. I wonder what the body count is going to be of the main cast.

agripa

Molten Core Raider
I am pretty sure they are all going to die. The other illegal family that was killed a few seasons back, is in my mind a foreshadowing of how the show will end.

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
I am pretty sure they are all going to die. The other illegal family that was killed a few seasons back, is in my mind a foreshadowing of how the show will end.

So you're saying the show ends with Paige killing her entire family?

spronk

FPS noob
(the two are married IRL)

also Oleg's wife was in season 5 in the dinner party where his parents brought over some women for him to marry lol

yQBoCIE.jpg

(left girl)