The Americans

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
60% of the final season done and I think it has been great. Phillip going to Paige's apartment is my favorite scene so far.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

spronk

FPS noob
i'm glad this show is finally over, finale sucked. oh well, i guess I was expecting way more spy shit and cold war realpolitik but all i got was the "paige is a dumbass" show

• 2Picard
Reactions: 1 users

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
I originally thought the show was going to go a different route the last few seasons, and then the Paige storyline came front and center, and it wasn't quite the direction I had thought/hoped the show was going.

Since it's been like this for a few seasons, I am cool with the finale. I felt it was solid enough. I had hoped it would go deeper into the whole spy/realpolitik stuff as well, and I think the last few seasons with that being the focus could have been insane. The last few episodes potentially being Breaking Bad-esque.

Either way, loved the show, it was a fun watch. Gonna miss Stan!

• 1Like

spronk

FPS noob
yeah i'm not super pissed or anything because for the last 3 or so season the show has been super clear on what kind of show it is, a reflective family drama but seasons 1 & 2 were much more super-spy kinda stuff -- remember the scene where philip had to fucking stuff a hot dead chick into a suitcase -- so i can't get angry at a show thats not been deceptive. Pretty interesting that the finale had no violence at all, zero deaths/attacks/etc just stan holding a gun for a short bit.

It fit the show very well but I still feel like I didn't really get a good resolution on whether Elizabeth thinks everything she did was worth it, how the two of them survive the collapse of the Soviet Union, what happens to Oleg and the ancillary spy handlers, etc. Sure, a show doesn't need to fill in all the blanks but I felt pretty short changed when it came to Philip and Elizabeth. At least Philip had that speech where he pretty much said his life sucks dick and is meaningless.

One interesting analysis I read was about the finale dream sequence with Elizabeth, she looks up at that haunting portrait of the sick lady and then she sees a pic of her kids on the nightstand, which suggests the most important thing to Elizabeth was her kids and she more or less has abandoned them.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
yeah i'm not super pissed or anything because for the last 3 or so season the show has been super clear on what kind of show it is, a reflective family drama but seasons 1 & 2 were much more super-spy kinda stuff -- remember the scene where philip had to fucking stuff a hot dead chick into a suitcase -- so i can't get angry at a show thats not been deceptive. Pretty interesting that the finale had no violence at all, zero deaths/attacks/etc just stan holding a gun for a short bit.

It fit the show very well but I still feel like I didn't really get a good resolution on whether Elizabeth thinks everything she did was worth it, how the two of them survive the collapse of the Soviet Union, what happens to Oleg and the ancillary spy handlers, etc. Sure, a show doesn't need to fill in all the blanks but I felt pretty short changed when it came to Philip and Elizabeth. At least Philip had that speech where he pretty much said his life sucks dick and is meaningless.

One interesting analysis I read was about the finale dream sequence with Elizabeth, she looks up at that haunting portrait of the sick lady and then she sees a pic of her kids on the nightstand, which suggests the most important thing to Elizabeth was her kids and she more or less has abandoned them.

I personally got everything I needed from Elizabeth's story in the last season. She was always unwavering to the Soviet cause no questions asked until about 3 episodes left. When she realizes that the people she trusted to do what is in the best interest of the Russian people were using her to retain power she revolted hard. The flashback about leaving the comrade on the ground coming right before she shoots a 'comrade' in the back in a public place in broad daylight showed her true reactions to being used against the cause. Phillip was always used to visibly show the doubt at who and what they were. Elizabeth always had the same doubts but covered it up with blind loyalty until the end.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Even with a 90 minute finale there were a lot of questions left unanswered. I wanted to know what happened to the kids, what happened to Oleg, what happened to Stan and his maybe spy wife, how things went in Russia for Philip and Elizabeth, etc. Not that they could have shown all that, but it's a testament to the strength of the characters in this show that there are too many that we care about to even attempt to give a real ending to all of their stories.

I thought that the scene with Stan in the garage was amazing. They told him a whole lot of truth and the one lie that allowed him to let them go (we don't kill people). I'm not surprised that Paige decided not to go to Russia with them. It's a hell of a decision to either lose your family or lose everything you have known in life. They acknowledged that Henry was too much of an American to go to Russia, but Paige was too, her small forays into espionage notwithstanding.

Man this is worst Finale, sucked

I will miss "The Americans", but on the bright side, it will be one less thread where we have to read a shitty post like this from you every week.

velk

Trakanon Raider
With the amount of long drawn out silent montages to music, the finale felt like I was watching a french arthouse film.

It was ok i guess, more of a fizzle than a bang, but I guess they were sort of stuck with some level of historical accuracy, not like they could have them assassinate the president or anything.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
I really liked it. It fit with the rest of the series. There was some good tradecraft, I think we've just become so accustomed to seeing it that it is easy to overlook. And there was a little bit of delving into the logistics of the organization and how they support the illegals, which was cool. I liked the stuff about Gorbachev, I didn't know how controversial he was. I liked the focus on the family, keeping with the theme from the rest of the series. And honestly I liked the fact that they didn't resolve everything. It's more real this way, and it's a better ending I think to have some debate over the motivations of some people or stuff like whether or not Renee is an illegal.

I think my favorite thing about the ending was how quick it went from day to day spy shit to OH FUCK TOPSY TURVY. That's the razor's edge they have lived on for decades, really reinforces how good they were. And how Philip immediately knew the score.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
I stopped watching this a few episodes into season 5. Has it finished now for good? That made me want to get back into it but halfway through season 5 and all this wheat shit plus the usual Paige crap is a drag.

Does it pick up and is the final season worth persevering for?

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
I stopped watching this a few episodes into season 5. Has it finished now for good? That made me want to get back into it but halfway through season 5 and all this wheat shit plus the usual Paige crap is a drag.

Does it pick up and is the final season worth persevering for?

I'd say it's worth finishing, even if you have to chug through season 5.

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
Season 5 was totally skippable

They get married yet by start of s6 they're basically living separate lives, and Paige is now Black Widow Junior?!

Drinsic

privileged excrementlord
Man this is worst Finale, sucked
i'm glad this show is finally over, finale sucked. oh well, i guess I was expecting way more spy shit and cold war realpolitik but all i got was the "paige is a dumbass" show
You two are fucking retards. This was one of the best finales I can recall in a while.

• 1Like

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
I'll still remember the show fondly. Likely even cracks my Top 10.

• 2Solidarity

spronk

FPS noob
the highs for the show are absolutely amazing and the ending was ok in the context of the show becoming more about FAMIRY but there were a LOT of really, really, really boring ass moments that had no payouts at all.

If you loved the show, you should definitely go check out Mad Men the two shows really click together in my mind

• 2Like

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Mad Men is another Top 10 show for me. So yeah. Guess I like the slow burn period piece shows.

• 1Like

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
It's been said a million times in this thread already, but "The Americans" is a family drama with some spy shit as a complication. If you're looking for "24" or even "Homeland" then this isn't your show.

• 1Like