The "As Seen On TV" thread.

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
i never buy these things for myself because they all look like bullshit. a few years ago i bought my mom one of those hoses that expand when you run water through them and then shrink to small after you cut off the water. we had it for one year and it split the beginning of year 2. so we had to hook back up the same 6 doilar hose we got at Home Depot we were using for 10 years.

A few weeks ago i ran across this product review while surfing youtube
it looked simple enough and it was kinda something i wanted. bacon makes a damned mess when i cook it and would like a quicker better way of doing it. so i got my Wow Bacon cup thingy this week and tonight i loaded up 4 strips of bacon (you can load up to 6 strips and hit 4 minutes on the microwave. i could hear little pops and other noises while it was cooking. i was expecting it to be a piece of shit. after 4 minutes what came out was 4 perfectly cooked and crispy strips of bacon with all the grease resting at the bottom of the cup. the bacon was delicious and i just dumped the bacon grease in a coffee can and washed the bacon wow in the sink. it was fucking easy. 20 bucks on amazon and worth it. give it a try.

Ichu

Molten Core Raider
Bacon in the oven on some parchment paper is the way to go.

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
One product I can't stop recommending is the Ove Glove. I mean it's just a potholder with fingers but goddamn it's genius.

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
My wife and I have used the Magic Bullet single serving blender for years to make shakes. We had a big one but it felt so retarded having to clean it out by hand after every use just so I could use it the next day. With the bullet, you just throw the cups into the dishwasher and use a new cup the next day. I think that's our only 'as seen on tv' purchase.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Bacon in the oven on some parchment paper is the way to go.
my issue wasnt the bacon cooking method, but the convenience and time it took to make bacon. i make a mess when i do it no matter how i made it, takes too long too. with the Wow Bacon i only invested one minute in loading the bacon into it, popping it in the microwave, then 4 minutes to cook and then one minute to dump the grease and rinse out the cup. that took a fraction of the time and didnt interfere with me making the rest of my dinner last night.

Oldbased

> Than U
Wife ordered one of those TacLanterns. I bitched an hour about it. Thought it was a bullshit product. Turns out it is v2 of the product and uses yellow led strips( white light ) put 3 batteries in and pulled it up. Couldn't see anything but a white spot for 3 hoursand it lit up the whole town from miles away. Product works, it was a daytime light at nighttime. Shit was sun levels bright, but do not look into the eyes of it for it will consume you.
They sell a different brand on amazon 2 for $20 that doesn't have the magnetic base but has a 3rd light in top. Threw all my other shit flashlights away.

• 1Worf

Oldbased

> Than U
My wife and I have used the Magic Bullet single serving blender for years to make shakes. We had a big one but it felt so retarded having to clean it out by hand after every use just so I could use it the next day. With the bullet, you just throw the cups into the dishwasher and use a new cup the next day. I think that's our only 'as seen on tv' purchase.
Kohl's just had these on sale for $20 maybe still do. I have a Kohl's CC so I stacked coupons to get the bullet and 11pc set for $13 shipped and it just arrived yesterday. Haven't used them before though. Edit- ya back up to $60. I felt $13 was too good to pass up.

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
Kohl's just had these on sale for $20 maybe still do. I have a Kohl's CC so I stacked coupons to get the bullet and 11pc set for $13 shipped and it just arrived yesterday. Haven't used them before though. Edit- ya back up to $60. I felt $13 was too good to pass up.

They're not really special, it's just nice for clean up purposes having the single service. And they make a decent shake out of frozen fruit / protein which is 99% of what we use it for.

Oldbased

> Than U
They're not really special, it's just nice for clean up purposes having the single service. And they make a decent shake out of frozen fruit / protein which is 99% of what we use it for.
Basically I bought it for one purpose, to make guacamole without digging out our ancient 700hp beast that causes the FBI to come investigate earth tremors and the occasional salad helper. We don't blend stuff much but I hate the old dinosaur we have that is older than I am that refuses to die.

edko

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
The bullet was a solid product.

I tried that flex seal shit. It sucks. Don't bother.

• 1Like

Zapatta

Krugman's Fax Machine
<Gold Donor>
My local Walgreens has 4 shelves dedicated to As Seen on TV shit. Prices are better than if you order. I think I have seen a bunch of it on amazon lighning deals too.

I think Oxyclean is the only thing I ever bought and I was happy to support Billy Mays coke habit.

• 1Like

Sludig

Silver Baronet of the Realm
i never buy these things for myself because they all look like bullshit. a few years ago i bought my mom one of those hoses that expand when you run water through them and then shrink to small after you cut off the water. we had it for one year and it split the beginning of year 2. so we had to hook back up the same 6 doilar hose we got at Home Depot we were using for 10 years.

A few weeks ago i ran across this product review while surfing youtube
it looked simple enough and it was kinda something i wanted. bacon makes a damned mess when i cook it and would like a quicker better way of doing it. so i got my Wow Bacon cup thingy this week and tonight i loaded up 4 strips of bacon (you can load up to 6 strips and hit 4 minutes on the microwave. i could hear little pops and other noises while it was cooking. i was expecting it to be a piece of shit. after 4 minutes what came out was 4 perfectly cooked and crispy strips of bacon with all the grease resting at the bottom of the cup. the bacon was delicious and i just dumped the bacon grease in a coffee can and washed the bacon wow in the sink. it was fucking easy. 20 bucks on amazon and worth it. give it a try.

I was disappointed in my wow bacon, send me $14. I hated handle being attached to the lid. That resulted in one spilled pot of molten fat when I thought I was picking up the jug. It's picky about making sure you point the fat side out, even with fairly thin strips left a fair amount of fat not cooked that well. (I dont mind picky wife does), but even keeping in mind the cooldown period, by like 4th use in a week the rotors or whatever had already warped from a 4 minute run according to suggested cook time.

If it was me bachelor again 10 years ago, I think I'd like it. But with my nice big giant cuisinart or whatever toaster oven, seem to get better results just baking them in that.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
I was disappointed in my wow bacon, send me $14. I hated handle being attached to the lid. That resulted in one spilled pot of molten fat when I thought I was picking up the jug. It's picky about making sure you point the fat side out, even with fairly thin strips left a fair amount of fat not cooked that well. (I dont mind picky wife does), but even keeping in mind the cooldown period, by like 4th use in a week the rotors or whatever had already warped from a 4 minute run according to suggested cook time.

If it was me bachelor again 10 years ago, I think I'd like it. But with my nice big giant cuisinart or whatever toaster oven, seem to get better results just baking them in that.
weird, those latches should have locked it tight if you secured it correctly. it loudly pops open during cooking if it isnt. i have been using mine twice a week for over 2 months and i got none of that. you obviously need to be careful with anything you take out of the microwave with a closed cover because that shit is going to be volcano hot. toaster oven takes too damn long and is way too much bother for me.

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
weird, those latches should have locked it tight if you secured it correctly. it loudly pops open during cooking if it isnt. i have been using mine twice a week for over 2 months and i got none of that. you obviously need to be careful with anything you take out of the microwave with a closed cover because that shit is going to be volcano hot. toaster oven takes too damn long and is way too much bother for me.

That only makes 6 pieces of bacon at a time? Who doesn't eat the whole package when they make bacon? Fail.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Sludig

I was moving it after I had initially opened it to inspect. Think I had it half latched and just didnt notice/appreciate how the lid was secured.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
I was moving it after I had initially opened it to inspect. Think I had it half latched and just didnt notice/appreciate how the lid was secured.
i made that mistake once and it popped open in the microwave and coated the inside with bacon grease. i made sure after that i had my shit locked down.

Sludig

Ya, sadly mine made it to the floor. So a german shepherd that was very scared but yet turned on by his own hair and half an hour mopping and wiping. That shit is aids trying to clean up in that kind of accident. I'm sure ive got unseen splatters all over the kitchen. Forever tainted.

Seemed like a really wierd design choice since you rarely see lids for a pot or pan be entirely on the lid or anything I can think of. Suppose they wanted to avoid adding a second tiny handle for the lid or something but seems like the locking levers would be enough.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Ya, sadly mine made it to the floor. So a german shepherd that was very scared but yet turned on by his own hair and half an hour mopping and wiping. That shit is aids trying to clean up in that kind of accident. I'm sure ive got unseen splatters all over the kitchen. Forever tainted.

Seemed like a really wierd design choice since you rarely see lids for a pot or pan be entirely on the lid or anything I can think of. Suppose they wanted to avoid adding a second tiny handle for the lid or something but seems like the locking levers would be enough.
i agree, maybe a hook type of latch from the cup itself. you just gotta be really careful. im not saying you arent careful as i said the same thing happened to me, but if you keep that poor locking mechanism in mind and make sure its tight it becomes a non issue. reminds me of shop class when the shop teacher tells you how to be careful around tools but you really dont take it to heart until somebody, either you or a classmate got hurt.