The Ascent

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
Like, you can't drop off the chics bag to her in Dream World until after the main quests takes you there, and you can't enter Stimtown til it does either.

Got stuck on both of these for this reason.

Worse than just not telling you they're locked is both bugged waypoints for other quests when I tried to switch. So I then ran to waypoints for the side quests I couldn't do, then ran to main quests waypoints that were wrong and only recalculated after I reached the bugged waypoints.

I love open worlds to mess around in and explore at my own peril, but treating this game as an open world is a frustrating mistake.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Kais

<Gold Donor>
The fucky ones are the Ice 1 chests i cant unlock with Ice 2 deck because it's gated to the main quest progression. Also seems like the only skill points worth spending are weapon handling, aim, and health. Am i doing it wrong?

• 1Like

Qhue

Trump's Staff
You have to use the Deck skill as an AE pulse before you open the chest.

Kais

<Gold Donor>
Yes i'm aware. There are a couple chests in the game that are hidden gated to main quest progression, just like certain doors. The chests being gated makes less sense.

• 1Like

Leviothan

Trakanon Raider
I was testing out the Xbox Cloud Beta through the browser and decided to re-check out Ascent on there to see if it had the same performance issues as when I played on my i9-9900k 3090 PC. Nope. Game played smooth. Even tried it on my iPhone 11 and it ran really well.

Still don't like that game but it is nice to see how smooth streaming the game was.

• 1Like

Chimney

Trakanon Raider
Having finished I would give the game a 6/10. The world was fantastic but you aren't really rewarded for exploring and it felt empty with the sheer amount of detail put into things. Gameplay/content overall felt as if incomplete and the twin stick combat seemed like overkill with how little it mattered. Could have easily been a turn based tactical rpg ala Wasteland or something instead and I think I would have enjoyed it much more.

• 1Like

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
Approach a chest. Hit x to open; doesn't. Hit x to open again; doesn't. Must be a hold x chest. Hold x to open...processing please wait; locked. Hold y to hack; success. Hold x to open -- too soon for the chest to register as hacked so you reload you weapon instead. Hold x again.... processing; opens. Can't upgrade cyberdeck further. Now that chest will remain an icon on the map forever.

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
Seriously, how does it play with a twin stick controller?

Still sucks or good?

Clunky, but gets fun after you start getting other abilities and the weapons with homing bullets that remove most of the aiming quirks.

Lots of small facepalm/wtf stuff but game is still fun and worth trying out.

Grabbit Allworth

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
This is a fantastic game for the amount of resources and number of people it had devoted to it.

To those of you who don't seem to understand why there's so much seemingly dead-end content -- it has a purpose. Those 'dead-ends' are little tech demos and love letters to fans/potential investors/larger studios that say "With more time, money, and men we can put out something truly amazing."

I'm genuinely impressed by many of the games coming out of the indie space recently. Solasta is awesome and I hope someone gives that team 10 million to make a sequel (but they need to hire a much better writer).

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
The game is fantastic consider the lack of funding and small team? That's a dismissive and condescending opinion. The game can be judged on it's merits like every other. It's fun and overall above average, 6.7/10 imo. That's okay and doesn't have to dressed up with excuses.

I'm comfortable giving the respect to the developers and judging it on its merits, not some warped scale like she's hot for a diabetic mom of three with lopsided tits, because that's also just called not hot.

Tech demo? Hopefully their future investors don't play co-op!

People are weird.

Raes

Vyemm Raider
Yeah, on the technical side, there are some glaring issues. As far as I can tell, they could be fixed with more dev time. But, the art, the world, the music, the characters like Poone and Noghead? A+. Kira was a bit flat. And I wish she would shut the fuck up about the collateral damage. Bitch, you wanted the best, and you got it, now fuck off and let me work.

Edit: Almost forgot about your bloodthirsty Imp. A++

• 1Like

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I think this is a good Game Pass game. Meaning, it provides good value and fun for the price of "free". But, if I paid $30 for it, I'd feel pretty underwhelmed.

Graphics, sound, music, atmosphere, and world building all work. They nailed this part. The gameplay is fun when you are rolling through blowing enemies to bits. There is a lot that needs more work though. It feels like a base Blizzard game, before its first expansion. It just needs more content and features to be fully fleshed out and really good.

Here is what I struggled with:
  • The controls are really frustrating, but it get better with time.
  • Why is the only multiplayer option local/friends? My Xbox friends only play Call of Duty. So, why can't I play with other random's?
  • Gear comparison is a nightmare. Most of the time, it is nearly impossible to tell if one is even better than the other. You are comparing apples and oranges.
  • This kind of gets back to the control issues, but most of guns go unused because they can't hit shit. So you settle into a mainstay weapon and a situational energy weapon for certain bosses. I don't think a Primary/Secondary system was necessary and it stifles your desire to ever try new stuff out.
  • Bugs all over the place. Quest markers that lead to nowhere. Enemy's just stop spawning. Weird sound issues. etc.
  • The world is huge, but cookie cutter and empty at the same time. It might as well have been procedurally generated.
  • The story/exp progression feels way off. It allows you to progress way ahead of your level/abilities, causing you to get stuck slamming your dick in a door for death after death on boss fights.
  • So much travel, back tracking, here to there to circle back there again. The subway system and cab systems help, but they feel redundant and overly punitive early on when credits are a limited commodity.
Overall I'd give it a 6/10 in it's current state. I think there is a lot of upside if they continue to work on it and develop and expansion.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Recently picked this up on a notification from my isthereanydeal.com wishlist.

It sucks that this released in such a shitty state, because it's a GREAT fucking game. About 10 hours in and having a blast. Looks fantastic on my 6700 XT, ultra settings, no stutter, etc. One of the best looking ARPGs I've ever played. "World" is fantastic and they did a great job of including a codex for all the lore, slang, locations, races, corporations, gangs, etc.

Really great game that more people should really be talking about.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Did they fix it finally?
I honestly don't know if it's "fixed", since I didn't play on release due to all the people bitching. So, I don't really have a state to "compare" it to.

All I know is that I have an average of 122 FPS (I have my frames capped at 125 though) on ultra settings with a 5900x and 6700 XT and it runs smooth as shit for me. I haven't ran into any bugs, the voice acting is great for a game that seems to have been done by a Euro studio (they usually have terrible VAs in my experience), and the lore/music has me giddy as fuck (I'm a sucker for dystopian shit).

EDIT: This is all solo, not co-op. My usual co-op bro is being a fag because it's an "ARPG".

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
Yeah, game was good, but some fatal flaws. Aiming had laggy dead spots at the poles. Co-op would bug and wipe characters. Some game breaking mission bugs. Was hoping they fixed those so I could co-op with my girlfriend, but then just sorta forgot the game existed. Shame really because so much was done well.

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
Did they fix it finally?

Quick check of reddit makes me think no.

For instance, despite characters being overwritten and lost since launch, there is a new post from a dev asking for info so they can start investigating the issue. Little late.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
The Steam reviews have trended upwards lately. All time it has “mostly positive” while recent reviews are “very positive”. Headed in the right direction at least. I may check it out now while it’s on sale.

Shmoopy

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Picking this up again since I quit due to bugs on release. Looks and plays great. Some caveats:

- had to start over because original character had game breaking bug (cyberdeck bugged, no way to fix it)
- manually back up your save files!!! (since Elden Ring I do this religiously now)
- they "supported ultrawide" in the worst possible way, by clipping the screen, so you actually see less of the world in UW
- to change FOV (and fix UW issues) need to install Universal Unreal Unlocker (UUU) to get a console

How can you ship a game in 2022 and not have an FOV slider? Ridiculous ...

UUU link:
Not tried, but from what I'm reading multiplayer still not working well. Sad because this could have been an excellent coop game.

Ascent_1.jpg

Last edited:
  • 1Worf