The Ascent

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Yeah, movement should be point and click for M&K like these games have had since Diablo 1. WASD for 3/4 top down perspective games feel like shit.

Raes

Vyemm Raider
Anyone else find it funny that your reward for eliminating a dangerous killer (bounty) is literally cab fare?

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Slaanesh69

Millie's Staff Member
Yeah, movement should be point and click for M&K like these games have had since Diablo 1. WASD for 3/4 top down perspective games feel like shit.
I put this on my Steam wishlist and just removed it because of movement complaints and the "controller" preference.

I am over 50. I have owned several consoles and I CANNOT get used to playing twin stick. I want to, but I can't. In the same way I cannot play games on my phone - who the fuck does that?

So this is a def no go for me.

Raes

Vyemm Raider
I put this on my Steam wishlist and just removed it because of movement complaints and the "controller" preference.

I am over 50. I have owned several consoles and I CANNOT get used to playing twin stick. I want to, but I can't. In the same way I cannot play games on my phone - who the fuck does that?

So this is a def no go for me.

The kb/m controls seem fine to me. Just looks weird if you aren't running towards the cursor, which is what you're always facing. I just beat the game like an hour ago, no probs.

And I'm almost 50, lol.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I've never seen a twin stick shooter switch over to point and click gameplay when you use kb/m. That's like asking them to change the game to a entirely different genre based on your input method.

Chimney

Trakanon Raider
Playing on PC gamepass with controller and no aim assist. No movement or aiming issues but you can definitely tell they were going for a bit more realism versus something like Gungeon or Neon Chrome. It feels very much like the game Ruiner

but obviously more fleshed out. 4k reso, all settings maxxed, dx12 etc. No stuttering or anything yet but one hard crash to desk and one soft lock w/ black screen in about 6 hours of play.

Game is really solid for a first effort by smallindiecompany.jpg though I am probably ruining the difficulty as once I found a heat gun I began going to areas I shouldn't since it can one tap L20+ npcs when they are on fire and I am way too high of a level compared to where main quest says I should be.

In short get good boomers and buy yourself an xbox controller to play on PC it's superior to m/kb for many games and this is a game worth playing.

• 1Picard

Janx

<Silver Donator>
From what I heard at least some of the stuttering was caused by it loading the shaders in at the time of execution vs pregenerating the shaders like many games do when you launch the game the first time.

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
Pretty sure the stuttering is actually because boomers didn't get good.

Also, the half hour I spent last night chasing down a bugged side-quest waypoint that said level 15 but sent me through level 20+ npcs and then after dying repeatedly and sending me to load points at places I'd never been I ran like 800 meters to the waypoint and it reloaded and had me run 600m back from where I was and got to that point and there was nothing at that spot but found the club referenced in the quest 200m away and was able to hack open the door but the game prevented me from entering with an invisible wall I guess to gate the content even though I was higher than the recommended level... That was probably just cuz I had aim assist on or something.

Chimney

Trakanon Raider
I dunno why you are comparing aim assist with gated/poorly done quest content, but sorry if I touched a nerve in your game play.

• 1Worf

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
I dunno why you are comparing aim assist with gated/poorly done quest content, but sorry if I touched a nerve in your game play.

I'm making fun of you for coming in hot about how great you are in a game nobody thinks is too hard. No aim assist? Fuckin-A man, please impregnate my wife!

Meanwhile, there are documented sticky/dead spots that you may not notice because you're fuckin awesome, but seem to persist even after the last huge patch that didn't seem to do much aside from adding difficulty sliders to non-steam platforms that didn't have them at launch (lol wtf? Difficulty sliders on only some platforms)

I learned a valuable lesson with Vanguard. I was one of the people with few technical issues. No clue why, probably just a lucky combo of tech. But guess what people didn't need to hear? How fuckin awesome I was and that others just needed to get good as they were dying from crashes and freezes I wasn't experiencing.

Even if you've had no bugs or issues with The Ascent, which I don't believe and assume some people just have a higher tolerance (read as: oblivious and/or low standards). Even if, nobody gives a shit if you personally are a badass not using aim assist who lucked into an issue free version of the game.

Anyhow, how'd you feel about the map and travel system?

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Chimney

Trakanon Raider
You seem to be very passionate to disseminate so much from a singular post of my experience and settings so far in half a dozen hours of gameplay within the gamepass pc version of the ascent of which I've stated the issues I've also had and haven't commented on anyones console/steam etc bugs or other non game play related complaints.

People are complaining of difficulty within game and/or with the usage of kb/m in this very thread which is why I say to buy a controller and play the game as the twin stick it's meant to be. Sure you can play many of these games with kb/m but it's shit tier at best even for simple games like binding of isaac.

Anyhow the stacked map system works well within the cyberpunk hab style world and overall so far I find traversing pretty intuitive as they don't force you to do a lot of backtracking to go up/down. The side quest flow is pretty bad though due to aforementioned mob levels being way too high that you run through and in my experience pretty lackluster rewards at this point so once I get back in I'll likely stick to the main story.

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
Janky as shit even with a controller. It is known.

I noticed little difference with aim assist settings. At best less aim assist actually made the controls a bit easier because it was less of the game pulling you aim through those sticky/dead spots.

Why on earth does this game even have aim assist? And why is it on by default? And why did devs in an interview suggest people use it?

Seems the standard for the genre is no aim assist needed, but these devs seem to have it built in as a crutch. My guess is a bandaid for the obvious issues with controls being janky. Which tracks with a ton of other very obvious technical issues.

Which is why I don't understand the fedora-doning attitude that the problem is just boomers can't get good at such a straightforward game.

The game can be fun and has positives, but is buggy and janky, with a ton of inexplicable design decisions.

The map fits the world, but navigation is objectively shit. Exploring in what presents as a sort of an open world is punished with invisible walls. No setting waypoints. No tracking more than one quest. Side quests do have you running back and forth, and then back for main quests, and if you did any exploring it's probably another back and forth. The travel is often filled with weak enemies that aren't challenging or random pockets where you get insta killed.

Oh, just take the train, after running too a metro loc, again without being able to set a custom waypoint, so you can run to the elevator, to run to a new metro for the other train system to get to a destination.

Or take an expensive ass taxi and it'll still take running to trains and elevators and shit. If it doesn't bug and send you to the wrong destination as taxis have with me several times putting me further from where I needed to be.

But the load screens for fast travel are quaint, so that's awesome.

Anyhow, nobody cares, just find it interesting how perspectives can be so different. It's like you know there's some dude somewhere in love with Casey Anthony saying to his friends "well, she's never been crazy around me so actually I do trust her with my kids!"

Agree to disagree, and all.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
People are complaining of difficulty within game and/or with the usage of kb/m in this very thread which is why I say to buy a controller and play the game as the twin stick it's meant to be. Sure you can play many of these games with kb/m but it's shit tier at best even for simple games like binding of isaac.
Other than my saying that keyboard movement is ass, everyone here seems to pretty much agree that kb/m is superior in this game.

Leviothan

Trakanon Raider
Was this game designed for a language aside from English because the voices do not match the lip movement at all. I keep getting huge frame rate spikes whenever something explodes or I use a special ability.

Thank god for Gamepass. Between this and Dark Alliance, I'd be pissed if I bought these games.

• 1Like

Chimney

Trakanon Raider
Other than my saying that keyboard movement is ass, everyone here seems to pretty much agree that kb/m is superior in this game.

The keyboard movement is indeed ass, but quality of life to lounge while gaming w/ controller makes up for the tiniest gains in mouse aiming precision.

Aim assist is always an instant off for me when all of this could be tuned by stick sensitivity instead to user preference. Don't get me wrong. I don't think the game is remotely polished but for the existing price and/or the price of gamepass (bis value in general) it's worth a play through in current state. I am pretty forgiving of <$30 games that come in with as much quality as most AAA titles these days that cost $60-70. If it's not a nintendo flagship title then I just expect bugs to be part of the game ;[

Was this game designed for a language aside from English because the voices do not match the lip movement at all. I keep getting huge frame rate spikes whenever something explodes or I use a special ability.

Thank god for Gamepass. Between this and Dark Alliance, I'd be pissed if I bought these games.

Truth. Gamepass is love.

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
Seriously, how does it play with a twin stick controller?

Still sucks or good?

Raes

Vyemm Raider
Some of the side quests are gated by the main story quests, which is fine, except the game doesn't tell you this, and actually misleads you. This side quest has a level 5 requirement, but you won't be able to do it until you've progressed to the level 12 main story quests, etc. Like, you can't drop off the chics bag to her in Dream World until after the main quests takes you there, and you can't enter Stimtown til it does either.

My main issues are traveling between levels (the fucking taxi can't even drop me off at the elevator, have to run 300 meters, what the fuck am I paying you for?) And I don't really care for the weapon upgrade system. Late game, here's an awesome weapon, try it out! Oh, you spent all your basics, sucks to be you!! HAHA. And they keep giving you upgrade mats in the last mission, like, what, am I going to port out to upgrade and start the level over??

Another thing, the burst rifles (ABR and EBR) seem a bit OP compared to the full auto ones. Like, the dps is on another level. And, it's just a personal preference, but I would rather fire in "short, controlled bursts" with the option to spray and pray, then have to clickclickclickclickclick all the time.

• 1Like

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
No aim assist? Fuckin-A man, please impregnate my wife!

aaaa.gif

• 4Worf
Reactions: 3 users