The Ascent

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Having a much better experience once I used this to fix my FOV at 32:9.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
Not a fan of this so far. I haven’t done too many ARPG type games on Xbox but the aiming on this one seems so wildly swingy compared to others I’ve done. Also not a fan of having to specifically release the trigger button to reload when out of ammo while also not really giving me any feedback that I’m out. Just reload the damn thing.

You can read the same data pad 10 times for an easy achievement. Though for some reason when I read them they show up off screen save for the last line. Husband doesn’t seem to have that issue.

The levels are incredibly detailed though and the game looks fantastic. It’s just not my genre to begin with and the controls and UI have been frustrating for me so far. I’ll probably have to stick it out anyway since the husband wants co-op achievements so maybe it’ll grow on me. I’d kind of rather just play more Chaosbane though.

• 2Like

Pyksel

Rasterizing . . .
Running it on DX12, ultra, all 3 RTX settings on even though they don't do squat and it's running great with only the occasional micro-stutter during explosions. This is on a 2080 Ti card with the PC GamePass version.

• 2Like

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Well shit, just happened to check and their recommended settings for 1080p on high is a god damn 2080. What the fuck?

This game doesn't look that great. Why the hell does it need a fucking 2080?

It's basically a step up from Diablo.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Chersk

Trakanon Raider
2070 super for me. I haven’t touched a setting and the game looks and plays amazing.

The environments are extremely well done and the gameplay is fun even with mouse/keyboard.

• 1Like

Qhue

Trump's Staff
I guess I haven't noticed that I need to let up to reload... I must just be doing it subconsciously. The bullet spread is actually a stat in the game. Note that you will need different types of guns in order to tackle various mobs / bosses. I levelled up a machine gun that I liked a lot but ignored other weapons and found myself struggling. Thankfully there was a way around that using a trinket.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I haven't noticed the need to do anything special to reload because I only use burst fire guns. Not only do their bullets track targets, they also seem to have higher dps than anything else (ignoring shotguns that are only useful at super close range and have ungodly long reloads). Oh yeah, and burst rifles reload in like 0.6 seconds too. That said, it's worth upgrading something that does a ton of single shot damage too, or else you might get a nasty surprise. Like at the end of the reactor mission, for one.

Btw, for people playing on PC and using ultrawide display, you need this: The Ascent ultrawide & superwide fix, FOV changer ...since this game is yet another UE4 title that uses the retarded default settings for aspect ratio, resulting in vert- on anything above 16:9.

They need another patch desperately though. From what I'm seeing on the subreddit, day 1 patch locked the game to DX12 regardless of what you set it to -- that's why so many people are seeing the stuttering that ACG, etc. mentioned in their reviews. Some other broken stuff too, like RTX and DLSS for Nvidia users even though everyone is on DX12.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Co-op is a shit show too. Lots of people saying characters being wiped. But even getting it setup is a nightmare.

I've had the "can't quit the game" bug probably 95% of the time. I'd say it only actually worked like twice.

We did eventually get co-op working, but at some point I guess we both talked to a vendor at the same time and that for some reason caused me to be locked into just being able to see the vendor and do nothing. Tried quitting about 100 times, didn't work.

Eventually I did something, I don't even remember what, but then I was in first person mode, had teleported somewhere else, and couldn't move (but I could spin, and I could dive...couldn't see shit though, cause I was inside the model). Tried quitting a bunch more and nada. Eventually it did kick me.

But if you leave a co-op game, there's no way to get back in. So we called it a night.

Game seems okay, but it's a buggy fucking mess. Whether that's because of Game Pass or what, I dunno.

• 2Like

Janx

<Silver Donator>
Co-op is a shit show too. Lots of people saying characters being wiped. But even getting it setup is a nightmare.

I've had the "can't quit the game" bug probably 95% of the time. I'd say it only actually worked like twice.

We did eventually get co-op working, but at some point I guess we both talked to a vendor at the same time and that for some reason caused me to be locked into just being able to see the vendor and do nothing. Tried quitting about 100 times, didn't work.

Eventually I did something, I don't even remember what, but then I was in first person mode, had teleported somewhere else, and couldn't move (but I could spin, and I could dive...couldn't see shit though, cause I was inside the model). Tried quitting a bunch more and nada. Eventually it did kick me.

But if you leave a co-op game, there's no way to get back in. So we called it a night.

Game seems okay, but it's a buggy fucking mess. Whether that's because of Game Pass or what, I dunno.
Yeah and it really sucks that its buggy because I REALLY like what i'm seeing. Just need to get those damn bugs squished.

• 1Like

Qhue

Trump's Staff
Only significant but I've found has to do with the pathing. A couple times now it has very clearly led me to the wrong place. Each time I just have to go backwards or take a different route away from th suggested path until it flips to a new routing.

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
Have had a lot of jankiness with lifts 2-sided lifts as well in couch co-op. Get on one lift together at the bottom, instantly get teleported to the other lift that's at the top and get sent back down. Get back on again to try and go back up, get teleported to the top lift again and get sent back down. Had to get one char to stand way off to the side while the other got on the lift and that seemed to fix it.

Also went into one quest area to pickup an item but went in a little bit too low and died. We went back in to see if we could try it one more time before going to go level up some more and all the mobs in the area had despawned and we just walked up and grabbed the quest item. Other times after dying, we'll get respawned in a slightly nearby area but with shit that's ~10 levels above us and we get womped again almost instantly. Just in general, the positioning of varying level mobs seems weird. On the way to an objective, we'll walk through a level 5ish area, then right next to it is an area with level 18s, then if we can sneak by fast enough goes right back into another level 5ish area. Maybe we're just not going the right way.

Vorph

Only significant but I've found has to do with the pathing. A couple times now it has very clearly led me to the wrong place. Each time I just have to go backwards or take a different route away from th suggested path until it flips to a new routing.
It would also help if they didn't give you sidequests throughout the game which try to send you to areas you have not unlocked via the main story yet.

Another bug which has made me mad a few times now: I keep running into chests that claim to require the ICE level that I currently have but they still say ACCESS DENIED anyway.

Also went into one quest area to pickup an item but went in a little bit too low and died. We went back in to see if we could try it one more time before going to go level up some more and all the mobs in the area had despawned and we just walked up and grabbed the quest item. Other times after dying, we'll get respawned in a slightly nearby area but with shit that's ~10 levels above us and we get womped again almost instantly. Just in general, the positioning of varying level mobs seems weird. On the way to an objective, we'll walk through a level 5ish area, then right next to it is an area with level 18s, then if we can sneak by fast enough goes right back into another level 5ish area. Maybe we're just not going the right way.
Exploration seems to have way more negatives than positives. You're not going to find some exceptional piece of loot by going through areas that have skull mobs, but since they really aren't that hard to kill you will end up overleveled and everything else starts getting trivialized. You might need to go a little off the main path to find things like cyberdeck upgrades now and then, but I've learned to not go any further than a nearby chest marker on the map that looks like it may be easily accessible.

I've seen the weird spawning too, even in boss fights that are part of the main story. Like the first time I got to the end of the reactor I didn't have a suitable gun equipped for the two L12 giant mechspiders so I died and came back and this time there was only one of them and it was L11.

Last edited:

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Speaking of that, the tutorial area I had two of the first boss spawn. Was watching a streamer play and it was just one boss. I'm like...wtf?

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Sounding more and more like this is a typical release nowadays - buggy, performance issues in an otherwise decent game.

In other words, wait a while for patches and a discount.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Raes

Vyemm Raider
Another bug which has made me mad a few times now: I keep running into chests that claim to require the ICE level that I currently have but they still say ACCESS DENIED anyway.
Your cyberdeck has different hacking levels for different items (doors, chests?). Just started so I haven't run into this yet, just something I heard while watching Cohh's stream.

Tried out controller and kb/m to compare and I prefer the movement on controller, because WASD is all janky, needs to be a setting like FF14 has. Also would be nice to have a sprint option. Another weird thing, firing a semi-auto weapon (the starter pistol) with the controller the fire rate is capped? But with mouse I can fire as fast as I can click. Must suck for console plebs.

Vorph

Your cyberdeck has different hacking levels for different items (doors, chests?). Just started so I haven't run into this yet, just something I heard while watching Cohh's stream.

Tried out controller and kb/m to compare and I prefer the movement on controller, because WASD is all janky, needs to be a setting like FF14 has. Also would be nice to have a sprint option. Another weird thing, firing a semi-auto weapon (the starter pistol) with the controller the fire rate is capped? But with mouse I can fire as fast as I can click. Must suck for console plebs.
Nah, I have the correct ICE level for the chests, and I've successfully unlocked other ones of the same level. I'm starting to wonder if the chests in question are actually checking ATM instead, because they make the 'bleep boop' noise when you fail just like an ATM.

WASDESDF movement completely kills m/k for me. Mouse aim is somewhat better (doesn't matter at all with burst rifles), but the movement is night and day. Can't say I ever noticed the cap on fire rate, and I used the fire hand cannon for a few hours before I got the first burst rifle to drop (PSA: do the quest that sends you into the morgue as soon as humanly possible).

• 1Like

Raes

Vyemm Raider
WASDESDF movement completely kills m/k for me. Mouse aim is somewhat better (doesn't matter at all with burst rifles), but the movement is night and day. Can't say I ever noticed the cap on fire rate, and I used the fire hand cannon for a few hours before I got the first burst rifle to drop (PSA: do the quest that sends you into the morgue as soon as humanly possible).

I experimented some more and the weird facing with WASD is because your character is always facing your cursor, which is how you get the weird back/side stepping shit.
Controller right trigger (no matter how fast you pull it) fire is blam..blam..blam.. Mouse is blamblamblamblam. It's a huge difference.

Thanks for the tip about the morgue.

Vorph

I experimented some more and the weird facing with WASD is because your character is always facing your cursor, which is how you get the weird back/side stepping shit.
Controller right trigger (no matter how fast you pull it) fire is blam..blam..blam.. Mouse is blamblamblamblam. It's a huge difference.

Thanks for the tip about the morgue.
I tried it on XSX and PC again this morning. Only gun I can fire faster with mouse than Xbox controller is the HCF Heat (handcannon). The really weird part is it's only a slight difference on PC (maybe 1 sec slower to empty the gun) but on XSX no matter what I do I can't fire any faster than it shoots when you just hold the trigger down. Not really a big deal though, it was a great gun at the very beginning of the game, but way outclassed now. Sadly, even guns I find in areas with L24 enemies aren't able to compete with my EBF and ABF rifles.

If you do want to use one of the few guns (just pistols/HCs?) that benefit from spam clicking, I did notice is that it helps to have a good gamepad with trigger locks; I can fire guns like the EP4 Pacifier faster using a Fusion Pro 2 with locks on than I can with a standard X1 or XSX controller's triggers that have full range of motion.

• 1Like

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
I really want to love this game.... The world they've created is superb and am enjoying the voice acting. The story is pretty typical (so far), but compelling enough.

However, I can't find a way to control the game that is enjoyable. KB/M is awful traversing the world, using skills, etc and controller alleviates all of that. The problem is, controller feels awful to me on anything other than the basic mobs. On bosses or elites I always jump back over to KB/M. The game is just flat out unenjoyable to me to play and it's a real shame because the world and atmosphere is superb.

Also, micro stuttering seemed to get better as I got further in but still shows up randomly and completely takes me out of the game. Would enjoy this more as an ARPG and not twin shooter, but obviously there are people that enjoy this as I've watched multiple glowing reviews. It's just not for me

• 1Like