The Astronomy Thread

khorum

Murder Apologist
too bad you dont work for nasa so you could have told them your great idea
Apparently, I needed to work at Northrup Grumman to exploit that particular idea. Judging from how the F-35 is going, sounds like they use a few more great ideas too.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Tyson just wanted to make a name for himself and get people talking about space/science. Problem was the iau stooges didn't know they where getting trolled.

Cad

scientia potentia est
<Bronze Donator>
Lifetime of beings on board a ship wouldn't be much of an issue if they can somehow survive high acceleration. Ship time can be less years than the distance in light years with length contraction. I don't remember any specifics but seems like if you can get up to 0.9999 c fairly quickly a 100 lightyear trip takes about 10 years for the people on board?
And if we could, you know, produce that acceleration.

HELLO RESEARCH PROPULSION TECH MOTHER FUCKERS

Lenas

Trump's Staff
Tyson just wanted to make a name for himself and get people talking about space/science. Problem was the iau stooges didn't know they where getting trolled.
Michal Brown from CalTech is responsible but hey keep blaming NDT like the rest of the dumb public.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Tyson gave the idea credibility. Guy talks non stop about how the nytimes called him a planet killer.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Comet shower tonight. I walked out and saw several in just a few minutes. Tonight is supposed to be the peak.

Khalan

Trakanon Raider
Space X Nailed another drone ship landing tonight, this time it was much harder and expected to fail due to geosync orbit speeds, but they got it anyways. So fucking cool, history is being made.

Dandain

Trakanon Raider
rrr_img_133689.jpg

Pretty rad we can see such remarkable expansion rates 450 years later in only a 15 year period. For whatever reason, the gif will not animate, however. The link has it in action.

Chandra Movie Captures Expanding Debris from a Stellar Explosion | NASA