The Astronomy Thread

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Love the ambition.

SpaceX's Elon Musk outlines plans for 'cargo route to Mars' (+video) - CSMonitor.com

Musk told the Post that he planned to fly at least two Falcon Heavy rockets and Dragon spacecraft loaded with experiments to Mars by 2020.

?Essentially what we?re saying is we?re establishing a cargo route to Mars,? he told the Post. ?It?s a regular cargo route. You can count on it. It?s going to happen every 26 months. Like a train leaving the station.? Musk said that scientists around the world would contribute experiments to include as the cargo.

If the "cargo shipments" in 2018, 2020, and 2022 go according to plan, it would be possible to hit the highly anticipated launch window in 2024, with passengers on board who would get to Mars by 2025.

And Musk emphasized in his interview with the Post that sending a few people to Mars is not even his ultimate objective. ?It?s about having an architecture that would enable the creation of a self-sustaining city on Mars with the objective of being a multi-planet species and a true space-faring civilization and one day being out there among the stars," he said.

Musk also acknowledged the high stakes of his plan in the interview. ?It?s dangerous and probably people will die ? and they?ll know that,? Musk told the Post. ?And then they?ll pave the way, and ultimately it will be very safe to go to Mars, and it will very comfortable. But that will be many years in the future.?

Burnem Wizfyre

Log Wizard
Is it possible that gravitational waves are responsible for the cosmological constant?

Also if you have a set of entangled particles and you destroy one, are you able to tell in any way that one has been destroyed? I don't mean you know it's destroyed because you had it destroyed, is there some way to detect the others destruction by looking at the one that still exist?

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Is it possible that gravitational waves are responsible for the cosmological constant?

Also if you have a set of entangled particles and you destroy one, are you able to tell in any way that one has been destroyed? I don't mean you know it's destroyed because you had it destroyed, is there some way to detect the others destruction by looking at the one that still exist?
I think we need furry for this one. But I suspect that you, and every member of the scientific and astronomic community, is uninformed. And there will be no sources. Because they are also dumb and wrong.

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Yeah, compared to the Falcon 9 their rocket reminds me of something like this

rrr_img_135927.jpg

We'll see where they go from here I guess.

iannis

Musty Nester

Susskind has a physics lecture on exactly this. ER = EPR I think.

Burnem Wizfyre

Log Wizard
Susskind has a physics lecture on exactly this. ER = EPR I think.
Thanks after googling and briefly skimming it's exactly the question I had about a way to determine if there is a firewall like they describe in a black hole. Appreciate it. Going to listen to the lecture as I mow my yard.

iannis

Musty Nester
Yeah, which I don't really get either. In that lecture he says they can "meet in the middle". But it doesn't seem like that would be remotely true. It seems like there would be a firewall right in the vertex. So he didn't resolve the firewall, he only pushed it from being a 4d object at the horizon to being a 0 or 1d object right at the vertex.

But that's probably an artifact of oversimplification. I say it because the graph he used to illustrate the idea in the first place has a time axis, and the intersection of his light rays is a point. Since it is not possible to travel faster than light, nor is it possible to travel in 0 time (motion is a consequence of time), that vertex is impassible -- as explained. It exists, but it exists in 0 time.

So I dunno. That's an actual question. Maybe someone does know. See what I mean though? As explained, it falls apart at the junction between the two areas. You have toassumethat junction is somehow permeable.

Burnem Wizfyre

Log Wizard
Yeah, which I don't really get either. In that lecture he says they can "meet in the middle". But it doesn't seem like that would be remotely true. It seems like there would be a firewall right in the vertex. So he didn't resolve the firewall, he only pushed it from being a 4d object at the horizon to being a 0 or 1d object right at the vertex.

But that's probably an artifact of oversimplification. I say it because the graph he used to illustrate the idea in the first place has a time axis, and the intersection of his light rays is a point. Since it is not possible to travel faster than light, nor is it possible to travel in 0 time (motion is a consequence of time), that vertex is impassible -- as explained. It exists, but it exists in 0 time.

So I dunno. That's an actual question. Maybe someone does know. See what I mean though? As explained, it falls apart at the junction between the two areas. You have toassumethat junction is somehow permeable.
I think I know the answer to that keep in mind that many consider me to only be slightly more intelligent than Tanoomba so bare with me. Time and space are so distorted in a black hole that time becomes a direction in space and when you hit that point in a non-entangled black hole there is no where to go and you're just plastered to edge so to speak.

In the entangled black holes time and space flow (move, squeezed, stretched not sure of the best adjective here) towards each other and as he mentioned that area isn't nothing, its space and the amount of space being created is a direct result of time passing which I imagine is powered by the fact that the universe is expanding. He even mentions the size for a human to pass and was 10?72.

Watched more about it and someone asked him if it grew over time because they are moving apart and he said no so I was wrong about that.

Szlia

From the above-linked article:

However, the researchers say there's good reason to believe that the ice shell is more than 260 kilometers. Their updated model suggests that Pluto's ice shell is actually closer to 300 or more kilometers thick. In addition, the nitrogen and methane ices that New Horizons found on the surface bolster the case for a thick ice shell.
I'll let you check my math but... doesn't that mean there is more water on Pluto than there is on Earth? Earth's water volume is about 1.4 * 10^9 km^3 and with a 300km ice crust on Pluto, even if the top most layer is nitrogen, that's something south of 4 * 10^9 km^3 of water!

AngryGerbil

Poet Warrior
<Donor>
Doesn't it make sense for a distant object to have more water within due to it being lighter than the terrestrial planets? Maybe the ratio of rock to ice is way different than it is here, closer to the source of the heat and the gravity. Small well of thermal heat, large body of ice above. Didn't they always think it was just a ball of snow anyway?