The Astronomy Thread

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
Looks like we get some more details soon. Only 4.2 light years away, pretty exciting stuff.
"Only 4.2 LY"

There's a couple papers that put that in perspective; if you get a space probe to, say, 20% light speed so that it takes less than a generation to send it there, then any dust mote larger than 5 micrometer (the size of a large bacteria) blows your probe out of the sky, and lesser dust knocks it off course potentially by more than the diameter of the solar system.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

khorum

Murder Apologist
Yeah they'd have to build an even bigger Orion nuclear pulse ship to mount some kinda shield on it to survive microdebris. The largest version that was actually proposed by ARPA might be large enough since modern nukes would be about a third of the size of the proposed fuel bombs.

Someone actually made an accurate model of the NASA variant of that Orion spacecraft for Kerbal Space Program lol---all based on the declassified specs. It's the smallest version able to use the prototype hydrogen bombs (which was also invented by the same guy who proposed the Orion project in the first place--Stanislaw Ulam).

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Szlia

Well... while 4.2 light years away is not exactly close 1) We will never find an earth-ish exoplanet closer to us 2) It's at a distance that is at least conceivable. I mean, we can devise a contraption able to cover that distance in a non-geological time frame without requiring some breakthrough in our understanding of the physics of the universe. I doubt the first interstellar traveler is already born, but landing something on that planet within the next couple centuries? That might happen.

• 1Like

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
I'm convinced the universe really is like Star Ocean 3 and God, or whomever was responsible for the big bang, and all the rules of the universe did it to simply "challenge" us. They did this to multiple planets. First one to center of universe wins. Obviously the big ass challenge atm is traveling great distances in a reasonable amount of time.

• 2Like

Cybsled

I'm convinced the universe really is like Star Ocean 3 and God, or whomever was responsible for the big bang, and all the rules of the universe did it to simply "challenge" us. They did this to multiple planets. First one to center of universe wins. Obviously the big ass challenge atm is traveling great distances in a reasonable amount of time.

Once mankind gets to the center of the universe, God pulls them back at the last moment and makes us evolve from scratch all over again, except this time we keep our tech upgrades from the get go.

• 2Like

Tripamang

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Great video on Dyson Spheres (Swarms?) and how we could achieve type II/III status in a relatively short period of time (50-100 years?) if we wanted to. We could build a partial Dyson Swarm using Mercury as materials then use the energy from the swarm to make tiny black holes we could use for energy production and propulsion. It's cool stuff, it makes me think we could get there a lot faster with a global effort.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Urlithani

Vyemm Raider
Found! Potentially Earth-Like Planet at Proxima Centauri Is Closest Ever

They discovered a potentially earth like planet (mass is 1.3 times that of earth which suggests a rocky world) that exists in the habitable zone of the star. Down side is they say due to it's proximity to the star it is probably tidally locked.

Good a place to ask as any. What is it about being tidally locked that makes it harder for life to form? I can understand high winds and not-earthlike weather patterns from having one side baked all the time, and the other side dark. It also cuts down on the surface area where life has a chance to form (the border of light/dark where it is temperate as opposed to a whole planet for something to happen). Is there anything else besides those two reasons?

• 1Like

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
No one *really* knows, but life on earth is so dependant on the planet's rotation that we assume all life might be the same way.

Making such assumptions might be foolish. It's not like we have a large sample size of life bearing planets to discern a trend from.

• 1Like

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
Good a place to ask as any. What is it about being tidally locked that makes it harder for life to form? I can understand high winds and not-earthlike weather patterns from having one side baked all the time, and the other side dark. It also cuts down on the surface area where life has a chance to form (the border of light/dark where it is temperate as opposed to a whole planet for something to happen). Is there anything else besides those two reasons?

Huge amounts of X-rays and other radiation from being so close to the star. Depending on how and when the planet formed, it may or may not even have an atmosphere left.

One quote I saw from a scientist that I quite liked: "We used to wonder where we'd first start truly looking for life outside our solar system. Now we know." This is a pretty big deal.

• 1Like

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Wow.

Comet McNaught in 2007, but id never seen it.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Dandain

Trakanon Raider
The cool thing about this planet though, is clearly we have almost no better candidate to try and study/send a probe to and depending on what we find the first kind of colony ship. Its massively far, but anything else is just massively farther. Additionally if planets around red dwarfs are acceptable to humans, we will learn that early most likely, which puts a pretty cool road map to colonize the galaxy. Pretty exciting reality, even if none of us live to see the complete conclusions.

• 2Like

ShakyJake

<Donor>
Reposting this in case anyone missed it on the old boards.

Space Engine - an incredible space simulator.

Curious what the Milky Way would look like from the perspective of a planet in the Large Magellanic cloud? Bam, Space Engine can answer that. Fly anywhere in the universe and marvel at the sights.

• 2Like

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
Great video on Dyson Spheres (Swarms?) and how we could achieve type II/III status in a relatively short period of time (50-100 years?) if we wanted to. We could build a partial Dyson Swarm using Mercury as materials then use the energy from the swarm to make tiny black holes we could use for energy production and propulsion. It's cool stuff, it makes me think we could get there a lot faster with a global effort.

Cool vid but that guys head to body size ratio is really fucky. Pretty distracting.

• 1Like

khorum

Murder Apologist
The idea behind dyson swarms is that they'd become so nested within each other that they'd eventually capture 100% of a star's energy TO POWER A COMPUTING SUBSTRATE---the so called Matrioshka Brains. This was Bradbury's answer to the Fermi Paradox. The optimal use of all that captured energy wasn't for agriculture or industry---it was to power the virtualization of a near-infinite amount of uploaded intelligences.

But of course if you had the ability to live out all the possibilities, then why would you ever leave the system? So all these end-state civilizations are out there encasing their own Suns living in virtual realities.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
The cool thing about this planet though, is clearly we have almost no better candidate to try and study/send a probe to and depending on what we find the first kind of colony ship. Its massively far, but anything else is just massively farther. Additionally if planets around red dwarfs are acceptable to humans, we will learn that early most likely, which puts a pretty cool road map to colonize the galaxy. Pretty exciting reality, even if none of us live to see the complete conclusions.

I guess, but by the time we are building any kind of ship that can cross light years, hopefully difference between 4 LY and 25 LY won't be that big of a deal.

• 1Like