The Astronomy Thread

Palum

what Suineg set it to
The idea behind dyson swarms is that they'd become so nested within each other that they'd eventually capture 100% of a star's energy TO POWER A COMPUTING SUBSTRATE---the so called Matrioshka Brains. This was Bradbury's answer to the Fermi Paradox. The optimal use of all that captured energy wasn't for agriculture or industry---it was to power the virtualization of a near-infinite amount of uploaded intelligences.

But of course if you had the ability to live out all the possibilities, then why would you ever leave the system? So all these end-state civilizations are out there encasing their own Suns living in virtual realities.

K but what if automatic update fails

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Burnem Wizfyre

Log Wizard
We might already be living in our virtual reality world lol, also the center of the universe shit Aladain, look up what cosmic inflation is and it will put an end to the idea of a center of the universe.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
I guess, but by the time we are building any kind of ship that can cross light years, hopefully difference between 4 LY and 25 LY won't be that big of a deal.

Faster than light travel, if it's actually possible, is probably centuries away. Who knows? But traveling at significant fractions of the speed of light with small probes is something that we could achieve today, if someone had a spare ten or hundred billion laying around. By the end of this century we might well be able to build actual colony ships that could get there in decade-long timeframes. So yeah, distance really does matter.

Oh, another unique thing about red dwarves and their planets is that they can burn pretty much indefinitely. Our Sun and others like it have life cycles of around 10 billion years. We're roughly halfway through ours. Red dwarves can continue to burn for pretty much ever. Trillions of years, apparently. That's significant in terms of the implications for the formation of life, as well, given that it took the better part of 4 billion years for complex life to appear on Earth.

• 1Like

khorum

Murder Apologist
Lol well Proxima Centauri has exactly the same 4 billion years left as the Sun does until this happens:

Last edited:
  • 2Like

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
Galaxies and solar systems are mostly empty space. Just because they're merging doesn't mean that stars are slamming in to each other like billiards. It's becoming apparent that galactic evolution involves almost continuous collisions and mergers. The Milky Way has collided and/or merged with probably dozens of smaller, dwarf galaxies. We're still here.

• 1Like

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
Galaxies and solar systems are mostly empty space. Just because they're merging doesn't mean that stars are slamming in to each other like billiards. It's becoming apparent that galactic evolution involves almost continuous collisions and mergers. The Milky Way has collided and/or merged with probably dozens of smaller, dwarf galaxies. We're still here.
A galatic merge usually entails three things:

1) Orbital instabilities that will chuck a tiny percentage ( < 0,x%) of the stars out of their original galaxies into the intergalactic void. The rest of the stars may get shuffled around, but they're still in.
2) Gas clouds get slammed by incoming gas clouds, collapse in greater numbers, and you get a massive burst of star formation (usually very active ones that don't last long)
3) A merge of the central black holes, which tends to occur when collision and merge is complete, and which will probably send massive burst(s) of cosmic rays that sterilize the inner regions of the galaxy but is survivable beyond a certain range (due to good ole' inverse square law).

• 1Like

Tripamang

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
The idea behind dyson swarms is that they'd become so nested within each other that they'd eventually capture 100% of a star's energy TO POWER A COMPUTING SUBSTRATE---the so called Matrioshka Brains. This was Bradbury's answer to the Fermi Paradox. The optimal use of all that captured energy wasn't for agriculture or industry---it was to power the virtualization of a near-infinite amount of uploaded intelligences.

But of course if you had the ability to live out all the possibilities, then why would you ever leave the system? So all these end-state civilizations are out there encasing their own Suns living in virtual realities.

When people bring up the topic of us living in a simulation it always makes me think about quantum mechanics. Using probabilities and never having to determine a position until it was necessary are great ways from a computer science perspective to save on computing resources.

I doubt that we are, and we're probably just some universal fluke that managed to survive through the hostile conditions of the early galaxy.

• 2Like

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
it always makes me think about quantum mechanics. Using probabilities and never having to determine a position until it was necessary are great ways from a computer science perspective to save on computing resources.
Quantization is fixed-decimal calculations and Eisenberg Incertainty is allocating the N bits the spec allowed you to use per particle!

• 1Like

khorum

Murder Apologist
When people bring up the topic of us living in a simulation it always makes me think about quantum mechanics. Using probabilities and never having to determine a position until it was necessary are great ways from a computer science perspective to save on computing resources.

I doubt that we are, and we're probably just some universal fluke that managed to survive through the hostile conditions of the early galaxy.

The formal argument behind that Simulation Hypothesis has been out for over a decade and lots of prominent scientists give Nick Bostrom's original paper a lot of credence. Folks like Neill DeGrasse Tyson and Steven Hawking.

A few years ago a team at the University of Washington came up with a methodology to test if we lived in a computer simulation by looking for observable artifacts in subatomic quantum chromodynamics. Basically there are constraints related to simulating the physical universe using any system with finite resources. Seems legit:

arxiv summary said:
Observable consequences of the hypothesis that the observed universe is a numerical simulation performed on a cubic space-time lattice or grid are explored. The simulation scenario is first motivated by extrapolating current trends in computational resource requirements for lattice QCD into the future. Using the historical development of lattice gauge theory technology as a guide, we assume that our universe is an early numerical simulation with unimproved Wilson fermion discretization and investigate potentially-observable consequences. Among the observables that are considered are the muon g-2 and the current differences between determinations of alpha, but the most stringent bound on the inverse lattice spacing of the universe, b^(-1) >~ 10^(11) GeV, is derived from the high-energy cut off of the cosmic ray spectrum. The numerical simulation scenario could reveal itself in the distributions of the highest energy cosmic rays exhibiting a degree of rotational symmetry breaking that reflects the structure of the underlying lattice.

I don't get all that but it made me hard.

• 1Like

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
Faster than light travel, if it's actually possible, is probably centuries away. Who knows? But traveling at significant fractions of the speed of light with small probes is something that we could achieve today, if someone had a spare ten or hundred billion laying around. By the end of this century we might well be able to build actual colony ships that could get there in decade-long timeframes. So yeah, distance really does matter.

Oh, another unique thing about red dwarves and their planets is that they can burn pretty much indefinitely. Our Sun and others like it have life cycles of around 10 billion years. We're roughly halfway through ours. Red dwarves can continue to burn for pretty much ever. Trillions of years, apparently. That's significant in terms of the implications for the formation of life, as well, given that it took the better part of 4 billion years for complex life to appear on Earth.

I wasn't really thinking about FTL travel, just relativistic travel with time dilation. For colony ships the getting up to speed and slowing down parts will take some time, but the travel time will be shortened. I guess it always matters how far away they are, but it matters less when you can speed up time on the way there. :)

• 1Like

Tripamang

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Quantization is fixed-decimal calculations and Eisenberg Incertainty is allocating the N bits the spec allowed you to use per particle!

Hah I feel like I should get this, I haven't really done any rendering work :( Or this is a straight up math reference that's over my head hah

The formal argument behind that Simulation Hypothesis has been out for over a decade and lots of prominent scientists give Nick Bostrom's original paper a lot of credence. Folks like Neill DeGrasse Tyson and Steven Hawking.

A few years ago a team at the University of Washington came up with a methodology to test if we lived in a computer simulation by looking for observable artifacts in subatomic quantum chromodynamics. Basically there are constraints related to simulating the physical universe using any system with finite resources. Seems legit:

I don't get all that but it made me hard.

I love the concept of it on the surface, but there is just so much stuff we can't explain that going down the simulation route almost seems like the search for god. Hell Beryllium decaying oddly might point to the existence of a dark photon that's a carrier for an unknown force, which could lead to an entire tree of dark particles and forces we were completely unaware of. Though I must admit that a dark form of matter that doesn't interact easily with the observable universe would be an excellent way to observe it without us noticing or interfering!

• 2Like

Dandain

Trakanon Raider

So, I'm fortunate to have had access to the dark sky since I was a child. While your natural eyes do not see near the density of stars that the timelapse provides, there is an indescribable amount that appear in a dark sky area when the Moon is new. Additionally, the brightness of the full Moon is astounding in a dark sky location as well. Highly recommend making plans to experience the sky like it really is, vs how it merely appears while exiting in the daily grind. Plan around the moon phases.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Dandain

Trakanon Raider
The first full instrument flyby happened and was successful, no images so far except this one leading into the approach.

NASA's Juno Successfully Completes Jupiter Flyby

img_2628.png

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
At the time, Juno was traveling at 130,000 mph (208,000 kilometers per hour) with respect to the planet.

Crazy, it could reach the moon from earth in under 2 hours.

• 1Like

Dandain

Trakanon Raider
This article is from the palereddot.org, which is the planet hunting operation that discovered the existence of proxima b. It breaks down what possibilities for proxima b we can currently imagine given current knowledge. Its clearly a bit on the optimistic side, but that doesn't detract from the content. I think a lot of folks wouldn't mind this read.

Opportunities and Obstacles for Life on Proxima b

• 1Like

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Surprised there aren't more posts about it. Seen a shit load of articles about it on my Facebook.

Not that it matters too much, as 95 light years is fucking far. So unless this is a super advanced alien civilization that is capable of traveling that fast, they're probably all extinct. That's also assuming it's actually a signal and not some other anomaly. Cool shit either way though!

• 1Like

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Just spent several hours reviewing explanations for the Fermi paradox.

Existence is so fucking weird.

• 1Like

ShakyJake

<Donor>
Not that it matters too much, as 95 light years is fucking far. So unless this is a super advanced alien civilization that is capable of traveling that fast, they're probably all extinct. That's also assuming it's actually a signal and not some other anomaly. Cool shit either way though!

What? That's not far at all. That means it took 95 years for that signal to reach Earth. If "they" are there, then they're still there.

• 1Like