The Astronomy Thread

Aaron

Goonsquad Officer
<Bronze Donator>
Sweet motherfucking god I hope he manages to pull this off.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Cybsled

Didnt watch yet cause on a trip. Whats the profit model of the mars portion of spacex? Just sending up nubs who buy tickets and get training?

I do think private citizens who are rich will play into that, but I am guessing he will be hoping for government buy in, which he could then leverage to their other space business aspects to drive sales there.

Also super long term, but if economic opportunities present themselves on the planet itself, then it puts them in a key position to exploit them and essentially hold a monopoly.

• 1Like

Brad2770

It should have touched down about 20 minutes ago. I was disappointed the comet didn't look like the one in Armageddon

• 1Like

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
Last pic:

hb0qn1ajfqwruzezvooc.jpg

• 1Like

Dandain

Trakanon Raider
Rosetta's last image

Which they speculate from only 20m due to some sciencing. Ukkeric's image is from 1.2km, the second to last photo.

From 16km.
qubRoBV.jpg

This is a pretty great summary of the mission in cartoon images.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

iannis

Musty Nester
I kind of expected a comet to look a bit less mundane.

That could almost be a dry wash in the desert somewhere

• 1Like

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Final image, but after someone said 'ENHANCE!' Blurriness was expected because it's cameras have a minimum optimal range to maintain focus.

• 2Like

Dandain

Trakanon Raider
Now I am both disappointed AND sad

The chemical composition and the density of the comet are wild though. Its 70-75% porous, it would float in water, it does not have a dense hard heavy core. There are a lot of organics, they have particle measurements of its cloud. There is a lot of crazy cool science coming out of this thing, you should let the missions scientists go crazy over the data in the finale presentation. If you have more than a cursory interest I don't think you'd be disappointed.

• 2Like

iannis

Musty Nester
Oh, it's cool. The mundanity of it is, in itself, pretty damn interesting.

I just kinda wanted it to be a giant snowball

• 1Like

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
The chemical composition and the density of the comet are wild though. Its 70-75% porous, it would float in water, it does not have a dense hard heavy core. There are a lot of organics, they have particle measurements of its cloud. There is a lot of crazy cool science coming out of this thing, you should let the missions scientists go crazy over the data in the finale presentation. If you have more than a cursory interest I don't think you'd be disappointed.

Due to how porous it is, are we overestimating the damage of a comet striking earth?

• 1Like

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Well, despite being porous, it weighs 10,000,000,000,000 kg and is travelling through space at 135,000 km/hr. It's total volume is 18.7 cubic km and at it's maximum width it is 4.1 km across.

Would probably still have quite an impact.

• 1Like

Dandain

Trakanon Raider
I think you are correct in this respect Kiroy. If a pure uranium comet/asteroid ramrods us that's a very different impact than being impaled by a snowball. Assuming Mass and Velocities are equalized you definitely want to pick the snowball. But the energy in any major collision is such I think its a pretty catastrophic event if the object is of a given size (as pharmakos mentioned). Its kind of like standing at the bottom of a mountain and deciding if you want to get murdered by a 300 ton granite boulder, or a 300 ton snowball. I think you are going to feel it either way, even if the boulder could be quantified to be worse than the snowball.

• 1Like