The Astronomy Thread

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
Reminder for those who don't know: on Mars, the sky is pink-reddish during day, and blueish at sunrise/sunset.

• 3Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

Oldbased

> Than U
Reminder for those who don't know: on Mars, the sky is pink-reddish during day, and blueish at sunrise/sunset.
I knew the sun would be smaller, but was amazed how much smaller. I'm wondering now if full daytime is about the same as a hour after sunup. Also didn't know about the color but assumed the blue part after picture. If we do send people to Mars it will take some adapting. Talk about feeling alone and away from home. They better load those capsules with some Xanax.

I still say mental health will be the top 3 risks. Behind oxygen starvation and radiation.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Mudcrush Durtfeet

Hungry Ogre
I knew the sun would be smaller, but was amazed how much smaller. I'm wondering now if full daytime is about the same as a hour after sunup. Also didn't know about the color but assumed the blue part after picture. If we do send people to Mars it will take some adapting. Talk about feeling alone and away from home. They better load those capsules with some Xanax.

I still say mental health will be the top 3 risks. Behind oxygen starvation and radiation.

The sun of Mars is the same size as the sun of Earth.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Oldbased

> Than U
The sun of Mars is the same size as the sun of Earth.
Man. I'm just going to say nope. Think about it a minute. Hell even our moon is larger/smaller due to distance and it is "close" orbit. Unless you are just being stupid about it. Of course it is the same size regardless , what we see is not however, which is what I am obviously saying.

• 1Like

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
At those distances, the sun is merely the brightest star in the sky...

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Oldbased

> Than U
At those distances, the sun is merely the brightest star in the sky...
Ya that chart shocked me. Mars shocked me. I knew it would appear smaller but not that small, let alone almost like another star that far out. Amazing considering those planets rotate on the same plane due to dust formation around the sun and maintained it that far away as they formed. One day I am going to look up how that happened from a disk of particles. How did a "core" strong enough to generate gravity form from a rotating disk of dust. That's right, right? When you think about it all, it is pretty awesome. To think our sun is just a spec to some other suns just boggles.

• 2Like

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
Most of the initial theories of system formation was that inner worlds were basically proto-cores for gas giants, except the solar wind blew most of it during formation, so you got small worlds until a "safe distance", where it switched to jupiter and all that.

Then, exoplanets happened, and you've got gas giants next to their star, and all kind of system fuckery. So, if you look at the system formation, pick any text written during the last five years. Anything before is going to fall into solarocentrism :)

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Dandain

Trakanon Raider
Worth a quick re-link, I couldn't find a newer video.

All of the Kepler multi-planet systems (1705 planets in 685 systems as of 24 November 2015) on the same scale as the Solar System (the dashed lines). The size of the orbits are all to scale, but the size of the planets are not. For example, Jupiter is actually 11x larger than Earth, but that scale makes Earth-size planets almost invisible (or Jupiters annoyingly large). The orbits are all synchronized such that Kepler observed a planet transit every time it hits an angle of 0 degrees (the 3 o'clock position on a clock).

Planet colors are based on their approximate equilibrium temperatures, as shown in the legend.

• 2Like

Oldbased

> Than U
At no time did I say apparent size.
We know. We also know you knew what I meant. No one on this damn planet thinks true object size varies over distance, but it is apparent size which becomes smaller. As witnessed by looking at your car from 10 feet away or 100.
In other words, stop being such a fucking cunt.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Mudcrush Durtfeet

Hungry Ogre
We know. We also know you knew what I meant. No one on this damn planet thinks true object size varies over distance, but it is apparent size which becomes smaller. As witnessed by looking at your car from 10 feet away or 100.
In other words, stop being such a fucking cunt.

Why so serious?

• 2Like

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
I can't wait till we start sending autonomous robots to use solar-powered lasers to break off chunks off this asteroid (or a similar one), use "something" to turn it into a heat shielded whiffle ball, and then use some kind of moon-mined hydrodgen fuel to send it into earth.

One would think by the time we have the tech to enable autonomous robots capable of doing that, we would be beyond needing raw materials from space in tiny quantities like that anyway.

• 1Like

iannis

Musty Nester
Probably not. If what they're calling ai continues to progress even slowly you could have rudimentary adaptable machines in a generation. You have that in a VERY crude form with alexa right now. You toss one out, tell it to check in for orders every so often, and wait. Maybe the ai is what it's checking in with at mission control.

If spacex continues to advance their rockets, tossing one out might be a few tens or hundreds of million of total investment for a possible return of who knows... double sounds great. But some percentage breakpoint.

Summer movies go 150 to 300 million to make. It's not outside the realm of credible.

Maybe it could happen and even be practical within the century.

The wait would suck, and retrieval would suck. So maybe it's Easier to just not do that.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
One would think by the time we have the tech to enable autonomous robots capable of doing that, we would be beyond needing raw materials from space in tiny quantities like that anyway.
I think if we wanted to do everything but the propulsion part we'd be pretty close in terms of raw technology.

Too bad the propulsion bit is maybe impossible.

• 1Like

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
Anything worth going in tiny quantities from space will be rare earths...

• 1Like