The Astronomy Thread

iannis

Musty Nester
I'd have never guessed it would look that big in the sky. Amazing. That picture is messing with my head a bit.

Well, take some solace in the fact that if it was actually close you wouldn't be able to see it at all. It would just be another banding like the milky way.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

ShakyJake

<Donor>
Well, take some solace in the fact that if it was actually close you wouldn't be able to see it at all. It would just be another banding like the milky way.
Right, even like nebulae for instance. You watch Star Trek and they depict them like these opaque clouds. If you were actually inside a nebula it would still appear like empty space. They are very diffuse.

• 1Like

Mudcrush Durtfeet

Hungry Ogre
Another successful SpaceX mission today, sending a satellite toward geosynchronous orbit and recovering the (previously used) first stage on the barge.

I think they're doing another launch (at Vandenburg) tomorrow. Edit: Sunday now.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Read some interesting stuff about the landing today. I didn't realize that they don't come down on the ship until after the engines ignite, so if there's an engine failure it misses the barge. Once they fire they make the lateral adjustments. Today it used up every bit of emergency fuel and landed pretty hard and got a little crispier.

• 1Like

Zaara

I'm With HER ♀
Re: Merge with Andromeda

tumblr_mqyor1IBq41ryoyw6o1_500.gif

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

iannis

Musty Nester
I wonder if it's possible that it's something much smaller and much closer to home.

I mean probably not. I guess that the data would be demonstrably different if it were.

• 1Like

Oldbased

> Than U
I ripped CNN/Washington Post and Antonio Paris unfollowed me. I am sad. Not sure if following political twitterist is dangerous to his job or if he was actually offended. The good news is several other people with science/space/Nasa has followed me so there will be a change of space postings!

• 1Like

Lenardo

Vyemm Raider
the thing with telescopes is...its a hobby that CAN get expensive beyond belief...personally i have an older 8" dobsonian telescope (all manual it is good for planets/moon) and a 5" CAT which i need a better mount for. those were the INEXPENSIVE parts..

the expensive parts are the eyepieces - i went with baadar planetarium hyperion line to get started in astronomy- but i have been lazy the past year or so and have not even gone out-since i am in a "white zone" (very POOR area to observe from)....~140 bucks EACH eyepiece...i have 4 of them. the smaller the eyepiece, the bigger the magnification in conjunction with the scope... i have 3mm 8mm 13mm and 24mm- use the larger to find the body you are observing- planet etc, then switch eyepieces to zoom in- i also have some celestron plossl's, but generally i use the heavier- wider view- baadar's

televue make -just about- the best eyepieces out there and their ethos line cost ~5-700 dollars each eyepiece- and the resale value for well kept eyepieces stays extremely high...ie a 600 dollar eyepiece can sell for ~75% or more of the retail price...

i need to go out again, but i'm gonna get a better mount for the cat first for stability...(mount i use now i am at the limit of the payload- got a cheap automount with a 7lb payload, i need something with a ~15+lb payload for stability.

cool pictures :)

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Collimated my scope. Everything seems slightly sharper but couldnt take a good pic with phone;

JBaGfq7.jpg

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Sludig

Silver Baronet of the Realm
the thing with telescopes is...its a hobby that CAN get expensive beyond belief...personally i have an older 8" dobsonian telescope (all manual it is good for planets/moon) and a 5" CAT which i need a better mount for. those were the INEXPENSIVE parts..

the expensive parts are the eyepieces - i went with baadar planetarium hyperion line to get started in astronomy- but i have been lazy the past year or so and have not even gone out-since i am in a "white zone" (very POOR area to observe from)....~140 bucks EACH eyepiece...i have 4 of them. the smaller the eyepiece, the bigger the magnification in conjunction with the scope... i have 3mm 8mm 13mm and 24mm- use the larger to find the body you are observing- planet etc, then switch eyepieces to zoom in- i also have some celestron plossl's, but generally i use the heavier- wider view- baadar's

televue make -just about- the best eyepieces out there and their ethos line cost ~5-700 dollars each eyepiece- and the resale value for well kept eyepieces stays extremely high...ie a 600 dollar eyepiece can sell for ~75% or more of the retail price...

i need to go out again, but i'm gonna get a better mount for the cat first for stability...(mount i use now i am at the limit of the payload- got a cheap automount with a 7lb payload, i need something with a ~15+lb payload for stability.

cool pictures :)
Light zone just being near city or is this more geographical? I could be wrong but at least I'm kinda out of the way in a small town in between major metro areas and can drive an hour into the Foothills or go east straight into the empty plains of CO.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users