The Astronomy Thread

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
Your statement is still 100% bullshit. A detection of a low amplitude signal demonstrated that Virgo worked exactly as designed, and they used that correctly detected low amplitude signal to point as many telescopes as possible at the collision as quickly as they could.

The paper agrees with my statement. What part is bullshit? I simply find it interesting that we always get co ligo detections without much or any Virgo corroboration. I provided, now argue against me with more than just whining and no understanding of science. Citation required.

• 1Picard
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Melvin

Blackwing Lair Raider
The paper agrees with my statement. What part is bullshit? I simply find it interesting that we always get co ligo detections without much or any Virgo corroboration. I provided, now argue against me with more than just whining and no understanding of science. Citation required.

Nope. False. The paper you linked specifically said that Virgo detected a low amplitude signal which was used to find the location of the collision event. Lots of other professional scientists, and lots of other people with functional brains, have specifically said in lots of places available online (googling a fact this universally accepted is like shooting fish in a barrel, even a drooling retard like you should be able to find lots of credible sources) that the low amplitude signal Virgo detected was evidence that GW170817 happened in the area of sky where Virgo's sensitivity was greatly reduced at the time. Lo and behold, this low amplitude signal that Virgo correctly detected was exactly the evidence that lots and lots of scientists needed to pinpoint the exact location of the event. Because the Virgo detection was able to be used to narrow down the search to such a small patch of sky, numerous teams of scientists working at numerous telescopes were able to gather tons of unprecedented data in a wide variety of ranges in the electromagnetic spectrum. If I sound like a broken record, it's because I am once again explaining exactly what happened. If you still don't understand how crucially important Virgo's detection of GW170817 was, then you need to get the fuck out of this thread and go somewhere where your diminished mental capacity is welcomed with open arms and celebrated.

P.S. I already provided a citation right here in front of your stupid face and it is just as correct today as it was two days ago.

• 2Salty
  • 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 3 users

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
Nope. False.
That's a lot of words to argue against something I never said. I only said it's interesting that Virgo is yet again the third leg. I specifically claimed weak to no signal when talking about multiple events, leaving open and accepting the possibility that there could be a weak detection here.

This consistant bias in detection leads me further into refining what the systemic problem in this experiment could be. We know these experiments are vulnerable to magnetic interference and general noise from the electric grid, I wonder what the possibility that they are detecting the magnetic field of these collisions is? One type of experiment could be more vulnerable than the other. It is a question I am not currently qualified to answer but perhaps I will look into if they have taken proper precautions to exclude, and what the profile of the magnetic burst would be, since we are aware that it is quite significant.

• 2Picard
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Nola

Trakanon Raider
Has anyone seen this? Tom Delonge formerly of Blink 182 is starting this academy for UFO exploration. He's been in the UFO scene for a while and now he is starting this company.
To The Stars Academy
He has people from the CIA, Lockheed Martin's Skunkworks division, Department of Defense ect on this project holding senior positions. I was initially excited but but I found out he's asking for an investment and I'm skeptical on where he's on this. This guy is a millionaire and asking for funds to start it up. There's this video of a group of people who looked deeply into this business and it seems very sketchy.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Dandain

Trakanon Raider
So this is a remastered look at the 103 messier objects. Each one has a nice bit of information on it beyond the page I linked. This is just the master collection. Not going to bother doing more with this post. But you should check this link. Its a good one.

Hubble’s Messier Catalog

• 3Like

Melvin

Blackwing Lair Raider
That's a lot of words to argue against something I never said. I only said it's interesting that Virgo is yet again the third leg. I specifically claimed weak to no signal when talking about multiple events, leaving open and accepting the possibility that there could be a weak detection here.

This consistant bias in detection leads me further into refining what the systemic problem in this experiment could be. We know these experiments are vulnerable to magnetic interference and general noise from the electric grid, I wonder what the possibility that they are detecting the magnetic field of these collisions is? One type of experiment could be more vulnerable than the other. It is a question I am not currently qualified to answer but perhaps I will look into if they have taken proper precautions to exclude, and what the profile of the magnetic burst would be, since we are aware that it is quite significant.

First of all, fuck you. You've been attempting to deny the existence of gravitational waves for quite a while and you've been 100% wrong the whole time. Don't fucking come here with your weak ass backpedaling and try to pass your brain dead denial off as justified skepticism.

European detector spots its first gravitational wave

nature.com said:
Virgo rejoined the hunt this year on 1 August, following a 5-year, €23-million (US$27-million) upgrade. And on 14 August, both it and LIGO picked up the gravitational vibrations emanating from a pair of rotating black holes, with masses of 31 and 25 times that of the Sun, as they merged together, physicists announced on 27 September at a press conference in Turin, Italy. The collision happened around 540 million parsecs (1.8 billion light years) away.

Virgo wasn't even running for three of the five GW events. Virgo has a 100% success rate detecting the other two GW events since it's been turned back on.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
Virgo wasn't even running for three of the five GW events. Virgo has a 100% success rate detecting the other two GW events since it's been turned back on.

I'm glad you live in your world where science is true because you want it to be. In the rational, big boy world, you can answer questions of your experiments faults with further proof or changing the experiment to eliminate these questions. Rational skepticism is the foundation of science. Go take your listen and believe bullshit to neogaf.

• 3Picard
  • 1Like

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
Has anyone seen this? Tom Delonge formerly of Blink 182 is starting this academy for UFO exploration. He's been in the UFO scene for a while and now he is starting this company.
To The Stars Academy
He has people from the CIA, Lockheed Martin's Skunkworks division, Department of Defense ect on this project holding senior positions. I was initially excited but but I found out he's asking for an investment and I'm skeptical on where he's on this. This guy is a millionaire and asking for funds to start it up. There's this video of a group of people who looked deeply into this business and it seems very sketchy.

Never use your own money to start a business, that's like rule #1

Also

• 1Like

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
Such a close perihelion makes me dubious of the claim its interstellar. An interstellar object with a perihelion like that would be incredibly unlikely. Seems more likely something changed its orbit near aphelion. Even an extremely tiny force would cause a catastrophic change from as far out as this comet came. Too bad we won't know either way.

• 1Picard
  • 1Like

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Yeah, more data is needed for sure, with what has been observed it sure does stick out though. It's already on it's way back out, so observation opportunities are limited I guess.

Came across this guy looking at Twitter for PANSTARRS mentions, does a lot of neat orbital stuff.

Tony Dunn (@tony873004) | Twitter

• 3Like

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
DNEQ1w_XcAEpu2f.jpg

With more data from other sources they have an 11 day arc of it's orbit, origin is still interstellar. No longer classified as a comet but instead an asteroid.

• 1Like

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Too bad we couldn't latch something onto that asteroid, free and fast trip outta the solar system.

• 2Solidarity
  • 2Like

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
Yeah, more data is needed for sure, with what has been observed it sure does stick out though. It's already on it's way back out, so observation opportunities are limited I guess.

Came across this guy looking at Twitter for PANSTARRS mentions, does a lot of neat orbital stuff.

Tony Dunn (@tony873004) | Twitter

God if you wanna really tinfoil that looks like a missed or practice shot into our solar system. At it's speed I wonder if this orbit puckers any assholes at NASA or other government planners.

• 3Like

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
God if you wanna really tinfoil that looks like a missed or practice shot into our solar system. At it's speed I wonder if this orbit puckers any assholes at NASA or other government planners.
Haha, yea, I spent a minute to see how close it got to Earth.

• 1Like