The Astronomy Thread

Mudcrush Durtfeet

Hungry Ogre
SpaceX did a couple more launches this week, second one reused a rocket. Both successes. I think they're up to 14 landings successful in a row or something.

A couple years ago, people were still saying that they'd never get it to be reliable (or doable at all).

Fingers crossed that they finally get the Falcon Heavy going next month (and successful - want to see that triple landing thing).

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Dandain

Trakanon Raider
This was a pretty compelling read. A new consumer grade telescope with some remarkable potential, even for those in the light pollution of the worst cities.

New Telescope "Gives Back the Sky" to City-Dwellers

Called the “eVscope” (pronounced Ee-Vee Scope) for short, Unistellar’s product outwardly appears to be just a typical 4.5-inch Newtonian reflector—a simple small telescope that, along with its tripod, easily fits inside a backpack. But a peek through its eyepiece reveals the eVscope’s power: Using a proprietary system of sensors, optics and specialized software, the telescope can amplify and display the accumulated light from a faint target over time, stacking up and processing hundreds of images to correct for instrumental jitter and smeared exposures to build up vivid, sharp views that rival those from far larger and more expensive equipment. And, as Marchis intends to show with his demonstration from a Brooklyn graveyard, the technology even works under poor viewing conditions—such as in and around New York City, where the glare of city lights is so oppressive that even on clear nights one can practically count on fingers and toes all the stars visible to the naked eye. (The technology works so well, in fact, that Unistellar’s eVscope has managed to capture and display images of faraway Pluto in its eyepiece as a dim and distant dot hanging in the light-polluted skies over Marseilles, France, and San Francisco.)

“Remember, this telescope isn’t just about pretty pictures,” Marchis says. “It could also lead to new ways of doing science.” According to Marchis, by the time the eVscope hits stores it should be capable of imaging objects as faint as about 15 apparent magnitude—that is, as faint in Earth’s skies as a 100-watt lightbulb seen from 30,000 kilometers away. That would, among other things, allow it to image, track and study tens of thousands of known asteroids, and to discover new ones as well. Through a partnership with the SETI Institute, eVscope users will have the option of automatically uploading their observations to an online database for use by amateur and professional astronomers alike. “We’ll build it up slowly, with a thousand eVscopes providing millions of frames for any given region of sky that can be combined to get good signal to noise,” Marchis says. “We could use it to search for Earth-threatening asteroids and comets, stellar occultations, supernovae, variable stars; maybe even things we can scarcely imagine—a flash of light, a laser pulse from another cosmic civilization? Who knows what we might find—it’s not like we have been observing the sky continuously at these magnitudes.”

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Elon Musk did a Reddit AMA on the BFR. His responses, and one reddit user specifically asked him some incredible questions. It is well worth looking over, a few laughs are probably to be had. I would recommend reading this if you have even the slightest interest.

I am Elon Musk, ask me anything about BFR! • r/space

Rofl the worship is real from some of those groupies

"After Tesla owns Mars can you speculate how much an acre within a good school district will cost for homesteading?"

• 1Like

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
hey nerds, whats a good telescope under $300 that i can take to the beach at night to look at the milky way?

• 1Like

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>

Official release that needs an interpreter:

DMQ7yEbVoAIL32t.jpg:large

This is so great, look at all the different ways this event was observed.

DMRBywXU8AA9pfK.jpg:large

Welcome to multimessenger astronomy.

Last edited:
  • 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
Dual LIGO detection with weak to no virgo detection yet again. Interesting.

• 2Picard
  • 1Like

Melvin

Blackwing Lair Raider
Dual LIGO detection with weak to no virgo detection yet again. Interesting.

Serious question: are you this stupid for real? Have you ever even seen the word "triangulation" before?

LIGO and Virgo make first detection of gravitational waves produced by colliding neutron stars

MIT said:
Though the LIGO detectors first picked up the gravitational wave in the United States, Virgo, in Italy, played a key role in the story. Due to its orientation with respect to the source at the time of detection, Virgo recovered a small signal; combined with the signal sizes and timing in the LIGO detectors, this allowed scientists to precisely triangulate the position in the sky. After performing a thorough vetting to make sure the signals were not an artifact of instrumentation, scientists concluded that a gravitational wave came from a relatively small patch in the southern sky.

“This event has the most precise sky localization of all detected gravitational waves so far,” says Jo van den Brand of Nikhef (the Dutch National Institute for Subatomic Physics) and VU University Amsterdam, who is the spokesperson for the Virgo collaboration. “This record precision enabled astronomers to perform follow-up observations that led to a plethora of breathtaking results.”

• 1Like

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
Serious question: are you this stupid for real? Have you ever even seen the word "triangulation" before?

LIGO and Virgo make first detection of gravitational waves produced by colliding neutron stars

Non detection can still be used for triangulation via exclusion . I mean their published paper specifically called Virgo a no detection. Are you trying to claim that my statement is somehow false? I'm only using their own claims, you are the one presenting the idea that they are lying. What gives you cause to believe that?

• 2Picard
  • 1Like

Pharazon2

Molten Core Raider
Saw one guy talking about how they can calculate the cosmological constant from this one event where as before they had to combine data from many observations over the last 100 years. F'ing cool.

They're shutting down LIGO for the next year to tune it up. They estimate that the sensitivity will roughly double, meaning double range and x8 volume. It guess It won't reach the design sensitivity spec until 2021.

One other interesting bit I caught. Since this observation was actually visible to amateur astronomers, at some point in the future they're going to make the gravitational observation data available online in real time.

• 1Like

spronk

FPS noob
another kinda "dumbed down" explanation for the kilonova stuff today, found it a bit more accessible for me

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Dandain

Trakanon Raider
There was more than 1500 rotational cycles before the neutron stars collided, all the previous detections of black hole merges - the entire in spiral signal lasted only seconds by comparison. The signal was nearly a minute long of their in spiral. At 1:15~ in spronks video above. The actual single duration plotted on a time graph of all previous gravitational wave detections is together. The yellow at the bottom is the neutron star merger. You can see how long the signal lasted compared to the black hole events we have seen as they animate the X axis to keep plotting more seconds.

Incredibly rad science.

• 1Like

Melvin

Blackwing Lair Raider
Non detection can still be used for triangulation via exclusion . I mean their published paper specifically called Virgo a no detection.

[citation needed]

Are you trying to claim that my statement is somehow false? I'm only using their own claims, you are the one presenting the idea that they are lying. What gives you cause to believe that?

I am claiming that you are stupid, because nothing I've read about this binary neutron star collision says a single word about Virgo's failure to detect anything. On the contrary, everything I've read points to Virgo working exactly as expected, and because the signal strength at Virgo was smaller and at a different time than the LIGO signals they were able to triangulate exactly where it was coming from to a degree not possible before without Virgo. That's how triangulation fucking works. That's how they were able to point so many telescopes at this event so quickly and gather so much amazing information. Because Virgo fucking worked.

• 1Like

Melvin

Blackwing Lair Raider
"The low signal amplitude observed in Virgo significantly constrained the sky position, but meant that the Virgo data did not contribute significantly to other parameters." - pg 3 https://journals.aps.org/prl/pdf/10.1103/PhysRevLett.119.161101

View attachment 154925

My statement is 100% correct, and now referenced for your lazy ass.

Your statement is still 100% bullshit. A detection of a low amplitude signal demonstrated that Virgo worked exactly as designed, and they used that correctly detected low amplitude signal to point as many telescopes as possible at the collision as quickly as they could.

• 1Like