The Astronomy Thread

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
i would imagine it could be engineered in a way to greatly minimize the risks? not that that matters when it comes to public opinion.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Sentagur

Low and to the left
<Silver Donator>
As soon as you slap an Nuclear label on something you get idiots crawling out of the woodwork and bitching about it. There is no explaining that RTG are as safe as it gets when talking anything nuclear or even compared to combustible sources of energy.
Another reason i heard they are no longer being used is because the world is running out of the radioactive isotopes needed to make them. Something about US stopping reprocessing nuclear waste 20+years ago.
I believe US was not making Pu238(welcome to some sort of a list) for couple of decades and only recently restarted the reprocessing

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
I thought it was because we cant even source the Plutonium anymore? Didnt we have to buy it from the Russians for Curiosity?

• 2Like

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
I thought it was because we cant even source the Plutonium anymore? Didnt we have to buy it from the Russians for Curiosity?

I'm assuming this is the reason, haven't seen much commentary on why.

Either way it sucks.

• 1Like

khorum

Murder Apologist
We've used uranium in weapons since halfway through the cold war and plutonium isn't a good choice for commercial power. We'd need a whole vertically-integrated industrial pipeline to procure then enrich plutonium into pu238 and that hasn't existed since the cold war. So NASA uses old stores created from when it DID exist.

• 2Like

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Yeah, PU238 production is a byproduct of nuclear weapons production. No more new nuclear weapons = no more PU238.

Not having RTGs means we will never send anything beyond Jupiter. Basically, we massively fucked ourselves when it comes to space exploration. And those cock sucking retard liberals call Republicans anti science.

• 1Like

Cybsled

It was just a byproduct of the Cold War, though. If there was a call to invest in non-nuclear weapon PU238 production for the purposes of space exploration, who would REEE at the cost (even though nukes would end up costing more)?

• 1Like

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
upload_2017-12-17_22-24-14.png

Mars upside down

• 6Like
Reactions: 5 users

Dandain

Trakanon Raider
Man, if only we could feel the 20 fucking stories on those things. That is fucking god tier. That's the BEST SPACESHIP YET MADE! Please god, let all three stick the landing. The hope that this happens gives me maximum nerd chills.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Cybsled

Flying drone for Titan? Nice, although that can't last long. What would it use for power besides batteries. Solar is out and nuclear drones would have a weight issue I am guessing that would impact flight. If it has to rely on battery stores, realistically you'll maybe get an hour or so before it runs out of juice in that cold environment.

Edit: hmm it is nuclear

Dragonfly (spacecraft) - Wikipedia

• 1Like