The Astronomy Thread

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
that thing is going to be in Mars orbit? lololol i hadn't realized that part yet.

someone needs to write a sci-fi where a Mars mission gets in trouble and realizes the best solution to their problem is to bring Musk's Roadster out of orbit for use on the ground.

Last edited:
  • 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Lambourne

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
"This is how they built spaceships? No wonder they're extinct!" - some alien in a few million years

• 5Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 5 users

Oldbased

> Than U

SpaceX launch when it is high enough to still be in the sun on sunset.
Edited for a longer stable lasting one.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Where can I donate to make them do all launches at sunset or sunrise?

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Dandain

Trakanon Raider
Best footage I've seen, you can clearly see all the crazy rings that the first stage creates boosting and shifting away from the second stage.

One thing to notice with the initial plum, when it has that gap, I'm fairly certain that's as the rocket hits max Q. They throttle down the engines, then when it blows open wide, that's when they turn the throttle back to full as the pressure diminishes.

The Webcast

Last edited:
  • 6Like
Reactions: 5 users

Archdruid Archeron

the Site Surgeon
<Granularity Engineer>
https://www.nasa.gov/topics/history/features/apollo_8.html

Christmas Eve, 1968. As one of the most turbulent, tragic years in American history drew to a close, millions around the world were watching and listening as the Apollo 8 astronauts - Frank Borman, Jim Lovell and Bill Anders - became the first humans to orbit another world.

As their command module floated above the lunar surface, the astronauts beamed back images of the moon and Earth and took turns reading from the book of Genesis, closing with a wish for everyone "on the good Earth"

"We were told that on Christmas Eve we would have the largest audience that had ever listened to a human voice," recalled Borman during 40th anniversary celebrations in 2008. "And the only instructions that we got from NASA was to do something appropriate."

"The first ten verses of Genesis is the foundation of many of the world's religions, not just the Christian religion," added Lovell. "There are more people in other religions than the Christian religion around the world, and so this would be appropriate to that and so that's how it came to pass."

The mission was also famous for the iconic "Earthrise" image, snapped by Anders, which would give humankind a new perspective on their home planet. Anders has said that despite all the training and preparation for an exploration of the moon, the astronauts ended up discovering Earth.

Here is my Christmas wish this year: it has been 39 years, and I am ready for The President to find the Apollo team, look them in the eyes, and say:

1e0.gif

• 8Solidarity
  • 2Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 10 users

Dandain

Trakanon Raider
I can't take the luster off that insane rocket there, but I think this is worth a quick read. Neutron star merger giving us some data. Just a copy pasta of the abstract, and no sick images.

A radio counterpart to a neutron star merger

GROWTH observations of GW170817
The gravitational wave event GW170817 was caused by the merger of two neutron stars (see the Introduction by Smith). In three papers, teams associated with the GROWTH (Global Relay of Observatories Watching Transients Happen) project present their observations of the event at wavelengths from x-rays to radio waves. Evans et al. used space telescopes to detect GW170817 in the ultraviolet and place limits on its x-ray flux, showing that the merger generated a hot explosion known as a blue kilonova. Hallinan et al. describe radio emissions generated as the explosion slammed into the surrounding gas within the host galaxy. Kasliwal et al. present additional observations in the optical and infrared and formulate a model for the event involving a cocoon of material expanding at close to the speed of light, matching the data at all observed wavelengths.

Science, this issue p. 1565, p. 1579, p. 1559; see also p. 1554

Abstract
Gravitational waves have been detected from a binary neutron star merger event, GW170817. The detection of electromagnetic radiation from the same source has shown that the merger occurred in the outskirts of the galaxy NGC 4993, at a distance of 40 megaparsecs from Earth. We report the detection of a counterpart radio source that appears 16 days after the event, allowing us to diagnose the energetics and environment of the merger. The observed radio emission can be explained by either a collimated ultrarelativistic jet, viewed off-axis, or a cocoon of mildly relativistic ejecta. Within 100 days of the merger, the radio light curves will enable observers to distinguish between these models, and the angular velocity and geometry of the debris will be directly measurable by very long baseline interferometry.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Oldbased

> Than U
Here’s an elapsed-time video of the falcon heavy being erected on its final pad. 16x time elapse too so must’ve taken about 15ish mins.

That video looks like me when I go to Outback and my server is a 20's blonde real Australian gal. That accent. That politeness. That ass. Swwwwwwwwwwing. Ready to launch.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I'm surprised there's no market on predictit for judging whether the Falcon Heavy will succeed, partially succeed or blow up.

• 1Like

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
Has SpaceX said if they're trying to land all 3 1st stages on the launch?

Sticking the landings on the first try would be some awesome shit.

• 1Like