The Astronomy Thread

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
God the SLS is fucking retarded. Fucking government dick suckers in Alabama and Louisiana fucking over America's space program.

Really hope those few hundred jobs are worth sabotaging America's space program and setting it back literal 60 years was worth it cock suckers.

• 2Solidarity
  • 2Like
Reactions: 3 users

khorum

Murder Apologist
God the SLS is fucking retarded. Fucking government dick suckers in Alabama and Louisiana fucking over America's space program.

Really hope those few hundred jobs are worth sabotaging America's space program and setting it back literal 60 years was worth it cock suckers.
It's more about those few hundred jobs in very specific congressional districts and their congressmen who keep NASA afloat. Though the going story is that the funds for the SLS were allocated years before SpaceX even came along.

• 2Like
  • 1Salty
Reactions: 2 users

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Dge6IqmX4AEYyFW.jpg:large

NGC 1952 taken by Chandra, Hubble, and Spitzer image

Seems a little over processed.

Hayabusa2 is approaching it's target, mission includes a sample return.

180621-ryugu-630x630.jpg

• 3Like

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Think it's about in position now to start doing science stuff. Image taken today, ~22-25km above the surface where it will stay until it bombs/samples/drops it's lander on the asteroid. Press conference later today (JST) in Japan.

Dgqq76hW0AAIEWv.jpg:large

• 3Like

Oldbased

> Than U
Seriously? I hope they are updating it otherwise it will be outdated ancient tech by the time it launches in 2313

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
Nope. It's just delay upon delay upon delay.

4 years ago, most scientists were already grumbling that this piece of (censored) was going to cost waaaaay too much for the science they might get from it. They were wrong.

It's worse now.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Mudcrush Durtfeet

Hungry Ogre
I suspect it would just be a better idea to scrap the whole idea and start over with today's technology (and hire someone else to actually do the thing).

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
If the Harabusa mission succeeds, will that be the first we've recovered a sample from an asteroid? Will be amazing if so.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
JWST is a total boondoggle. They need to just put it into the SLS and blow it all up.

By the time either of them launch we'll be getting better space imagery off of the self-aware tesla cars being launched by the SpaceX BFR that are mining asteroids away from mankind.

• 1Like

Cybsled

If they scrapped it, though, then the replacement would be like 2035 or some shit and we'd all be saying "lol what a waste, should put the funds towards the moon base observation station".

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
At this point they probably could have designed a specific rocket to carry a non rube goldberg version of it and it would have been cheaper than the abortion we have now.

Either way just another reality of having a shitty space program.

• 1Like

Mudcrush Durtfeet

Hungry Ogre
The BFR, if it works as advertised, would be able to be used for 'something' like this, except that 'something' probably would be simpler (and hopefully a lot cheaper and more likely not to misfunction) due to the better payload service capabilities of the BFR (if as advertised).

• 3Like