The Astronomy Thread

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
MeerKAT_Galactic-Centre_Low-Res.jpg

Center of the galaxy via MeerKAT, a new radio observatory in Africa.

MeerKAT radio telescope inaugurated in South Africa – reveals clearest view yet of center of the Milky Way – SKA SA

“We wanted to show the science capabilities of this new instrument”, says Fernando Camilo, chief scientist of the South African Radio Astronomy Observatory (SARAO), which built and operates MeerKAT in the semi-arid Karoo region of the Northern Cape. “The centre of the galaxy was an obvious target: unique, visually striking and full of unexplained phenomena – but also notoriously hard to image using radio telescopes”, according to Camilo. The centre of the Milky Way, 25,000 light-years away from Earth and lying behind the constellation Sagittarius (the “Teapot”), is forever enshrouded by intervening clouds of gas and dust, making it invisible from Earth using ordinary telescopes. However, infrared, X-ray, and in particular, radio wavelengths penetrate the obscuring dust and open a window into this distinctive region with its unique 4 million solar mass black hole. “Although it’s early days with MeerKAT, and a lot remains to be optimised, we decided to go for it – and were stunned by the results.”

“This image is remarkable”, says Farhad Yusef-Zadeh of Northwestern University in Evanston, Illinois, one of the world’s leading experts on the mysterious filamentary structures present near the central black hole but nowhere else in the Milky Way. These long and narrow magnetised filaments were discovered in the 1980s using the Very Large Array (VLA) radio telescope in New Mexico, but their origin has remained a mystery. “The MeerKAT image has such clarity”, continues Yusef-Zadeh, “it shows so many features never before seen, including compact sources associated with some of the filaments, that it could provide the key to cracking the code and solve this three-decade riddle”.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

meStevo

<Silver Donator>
Here's some context that I was looking forward to someone putting together because that image is bonkers and looks like someone trying to weld my eyelids shut or something...

DiAlKfxX0AAkjX9.jpg

DiAlLK3WAAoJH4x.jpg

DiAlMa7XUAM_brT.jpg

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

khorum

Murder Apologist
Have they actually reused any fairings? That seems pretty iffy. Even if it doesn't make contact with saltwater the stresses of reentry would fatigue the frame that you'd have to refurbish it a lot anyway.

• 1Like
  • 1Salty
Reactions: 1 users

Mudcrush Durtfeet

Hungry Ogre
Have they actually reused any fairings? That seems pretty iffy. Even if it doesn't make contact with saltwater the stresses of reentry would fatigue the frame that you'd have to refurbish it a lot anyway.

Presumably SpaceX thinks it's worth the effort.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
So how does that even work? Is there just a parachute on ghee fairing and they move the boat under it as is splashing down?

• 1Like

khorum

Murder Apologist
So how does that even work? Is there just a parachute on ghee fairing and they move the boat under it as is splashing down?
I dunno about the parachute but yeah, they steer the boat to where the fairing is supposed to drop. Pretty sure theres no parachute tho.

• 1Like

meStevo

<Silver Donator>
DiQGbr_UcAAsKYv.jpg:large

This is from 12/16. The most recent pass by Juno I think was the closest ever, science/images haven't been sent back yet as that pass was just last night.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

meStevo

<Silver Donator>
Blue Origin launch in a few minutes.

Testing the escape system and stuff, could be an interesting launch.

• 1Like

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
I dunno about the parachute but yeah, they steer the boat to where the fairing is supposed to drop. Pretty sure theres no parachute tho.

Youd think it would bounce out. Must be a collapsing net but doesnt look like theres room

• 1Like

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole

Maybe that's part of what they're doing, testing the viability of reusing fairings captured this way? All I know is my 55 hours of Kerbal Space Program have made me enough of an expert to say that recovering debris in a stable orbit is hard enough, I can't imagine how good at mathing you have to be to predict exactly where falling debris is going to land after passing through the atmosphere, and catching it with a boat which adds a whole new set of variables compared to catching it on land.

I mean I get that KSP isn't particularly representative of real life, but do they manufacture RL fairings in such a way that they remain relatively aerodynamic after being jettisoned so that their landing trajectory is more easily predictable?

• 1Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Tripamang

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Maybe that's part of what they're doing, testing the viability of reusing fairings captured this way? All I know is my 55 hours of Kerbal Space Program have made me enough of an expert to say that recovering debris in a stable orbit is hard enough, I can't imagine how good at mathing you have to be to predict exactly where falling debris is going to land after passing through the atmosphere, and catching it with a boat which adds a whole new set of variables compared to catching it on land.

I mean I get that KSP isn't particularly representative of real life, but do they manufacture RL fairings in such a way that they remain relatively aerodynamic after being jettisoned so that their landing trajectory is more easily predictable?

The fairing has nitrogen thrusters to orient itself for entry so it can deploy it's chutes, then navigates with the chutes to the ship. I have no clue if they still have to move the ship around to capture the fairing or because the fairing comes down from so high up that it has enough time to get itself to wherever it needs to go. The articles on this stuff are light on the details.

• 1Like

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
The fairing has nitrogen thrusters to orient itself for entry so it can deploy it's chutes, then navigates with the chutes to the ship. I have no clue if they still have to move the ship around to capture the fairing or because the fairing comes down from so high up that it has enough time to get itself to wherever it needs to go. The articles on this stuff are light on the details.

God I'm totally retarded. Even though parachutes were mentioned more than once in the posts talking about the fairing recovery, I was envisioning them catching it at the end of a free fall.

• 1Like