The Astronomy Thread

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>

The first launch (and landing) was amazing. I'm hoping they land all three simultaneously (was a problem with the center rocket or something last time)

I need to write down the names of the Musk haters so I can tag them every time SpaceX launches a sweet new rocket.

• 6Like
  • 1Trump
Reactions: 6 users

iannis

Musty Nester
I wonder when we started saying brand new instead of just new. You think it was television? Or maybe it goes back to herding.

Is that a new cow? Yeah it's branded so don't get any ideas.

• 1Like
  • 1Jonesing
Reactions: 1 users

khorum

Murder Apologist
That falcon heavy launch is gonna make traffic around there hellish on a Sunday.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>

Also, this is gorgeous.

Here's a higher resolution segment:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D3bhsnEWAAcHpsA?format=jpg&name=4096x4096

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

meStevo

<Silver Donator>

D3kJOrPUIAA6Kqs

The booster seen in the hanger is from the Crew Dragon launch.

This stack (the first Block 5 Falcon Heavy) is expected to launch Tuesday evening, but bad weather currently in the forecast.

Edit: now scheduled for the 10th.

Last edited:
  • 6Like
  • 1Jonesing
Reactions: 6 users

meStevo

<Silver Donator>
Could be an interesting day tomorrow:

7:02am PST - embargo lifts on the news of attempts to photograph the environment around a black hole
3:36pm PST - start of launch window for Falcon Heavy Block 5

Then on Thursday between 12 and 1pm PST Israel's lander is expected to touchdown on the lunar surface.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>

I know it's draconian of me but when I see the effort that went into taking a picture of nature's butthole I can't help but wonder what benefit that provides besides sating our curiosity.

• 1Like
  • 1Worf
  • 1Picard

Cybsled

I know it's draconian of me but when I see the effort that went into taking a picture of nature's butthole I can't help but wonder what benefit that provides besides sating our curiosity.

Direct observation can help in better understanding something, because you can see where the models line up and where there are still questions

• 3Like

iannis

Musty Nester
It's unfortunate, you can't usually know until after the fact.

The difference between interesting and interesting also useful is a different branch of science.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Nola

Trakanon Raider
Doesn't NASA doctor the photos to make them look better? In that photo did they add color or that's the raw image?

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
There is no "raw" image. You needed to mix 8 different telescopes to get that view, none of the telescope could image anything on its own. So it's a computer composite.

*EDIT* Also, I just checked, and it's radio telescopes. So no real color anyway.

Last edited:
  • 3Like