The Astronomy Thread

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
The Beresheet moon lander took this right before impact:
iW24LPo.jpg

Interesting that they're talking about it being the IMU's fault. IMUs are generally very reliable and proven unlike most tech on space stuff.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

khorum

Murder Apologist
is this just edgelord or is that true?

There I salted you. What do you think now?

She contrib'd less than a half of 1 percent of the codebase:

github.png

Even other female members of her team are kinda miffed that the SJW media is propping up the whitest female on the team hahah

1555012073727.png

LOL 4chan's on it... shit's gonna go nuclear

1555008524870.png

Last edited:
  • 3Worf
  • 1Picard
  • 1Like
Reactions: 7 users

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
There I salted you. What do you think now?

She contrib'd less than a half of 1 percent of the codebase:

View attachment 203135

Even other female members of her team are kinda miffed that the SJW media is propping up the whitest female on the team hahah

1555012073727.png

LOL 4chan's on it... shit's gonna go nuclear

1555008524870.png
She and her team came up with how to combine several theories on using some techniques to get the image (Chael also helped with that, though in a minor way), but it was Chael and many others (not including those who did all the work on the other algorithms that were combined) who actually got the final algorithm to work. So yea, she is getting WAY too much credit for the end result.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
She and her team came up with how to combine several theories on using some techniques to get the image (Chael also helped with that, though in a minor way), but it was Chael and many others (not including those who did all the work on the other algorithms that were combined) who actually got the final algorithm to work. So yea, she is getting WAY too much credit for the end result.
Writing correct code isnt science. It's difficult and time consuming and impressive when done right but it is not science.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
  • 1Picard

Arative

Vyemm Raider

But the narrative must remain intact.

• 2Like
  • 1Picard

Cynical

Canuckistani Terrorist
Can't even trust the media for accurate science and tech news, I'm actually really pissed about that now. I was simply assuming she was one of those rare super smart nerdy chicks, and actually deserved the praise.

• 2Like
  • 1Salty

khorum

Murder Apologist
Can't even trust the media for accurate science and tech news, I'm actually really pissed about that now. I was simply assuming she was one of those rare super smart nerdy chicks, and actually deserved the praise.
The worst part is she probably DID deserve the praise....but the SJW cuckmedia decided to lionize her as a Joan of Arc for women in STEM.

In so doing they not only burned the folks who did most the work, they actually managed to marginalize the OTHER WOMEN who also did most the work.

Last edited:
  • 7Like
  • 1Salty
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 8 users

khorum

Murder Apologist
Oh they've always recovered the fairings after they hit saltwater... they just tow them back to port.

Falcon-fairing-recovery-SpaceX-1-1-991x593.jpg

Musk said refurbishing them afterwards kinda made it worthless tho. So they wanted to try to catch them before they sit the saltwater.

Incidentally saltwater+SRB was what made the shuttle so worthless. The savings on the orbiter wasn't worth it.

Last edited:
  • 1Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

iannis

Musty Nester
There's no particular reason to shit on her JUST because she's female.

It's how group projects work. They're all listed as contributors.

She couldn't have done it without his code. He wouldn't have done it without her organization. It's a communal effort, but someone gets the glory. Works that way with all male teams and we don't really bitch as long as everyone's contribution is recognized.

Science reporting is going to champion her. But of course they are. I think that bit can be pointed out without having to diminish her contributions. She was the boss-lady.

I fully expect to be rewarded appropriately for this white knighting.

• 2Salty
  • 2Like
I was trying to find a graphic about just how mammoth m87's black hole / EH was. Found this vid which just TURN OFF THE SOUND. It is very nicely done except the cretin though we needed to here his tunes. But the scale issues are amazing.

• 1Salty
Reactions: 1 user

B_Mizzle

Golden Baronet of the Realm

It's all fake news broski. Anything reported since WWII is spun, half truths or outright lies by the media. It's just that we're finally able to see it now because of how easy information is to access these days.

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Like
  • 1Picard

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Writing correct code isnt science. It's difficult and time consuming and impressive when done right but it is not science.
The science you're talking about would never have been implemented in a way to do what it theorized it could do without the code. Aside from that, I am not trying to say she doesn't deserve credit for what she and her team did, rather I disagree with the amount of credit she alone is getting considering the number of other people involved in the theory and implementation. Hm, if coding isn't science, is math? I mean, coming up with a formula to describe something abstract is difficult, time consuming and super impressive when done right, right? ;p

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users