The Astronomy Thread

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Oh they've always recovered the fairings after they hit saltwater... they just tow them back to port.

Falcon-fairing-recovery-SpaceX-1-1-991x593.jpg

Musk said refurbishing them afterwards kinda made it worthless tho. So they wanted to try to catch them before they sit the saltwater.

Incidentally saltwater+SRB was what made the shuttle so worthless. The savings on the orbiter wasn't worth it.
Almost! They need a way to cut the parachute instantly or have the netting be less rigid (make it like a venus fly trap).

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Can't even trust the media for accurate science and tech news, I'm actually really pissed about that now. I was simply assuming she was one of those rare super smart nerdy chicks, and actually deserved the praise.
What's annoying is that as far as I can tell there's not much information about what she's done. But I haven't really looked into it. I couldn't find any publications that she's the primary author in and yeah, her commits to the codebase have been miniscule. It really does look like a case of the media running with some bullshit about young women in STEM. Whatever. It's not like everybody doesn't know that nerd projects run on nerd sweat, and most nerds are dudes.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
What's annoying is that as far as I can tell there's not much information about what she's done. But I haven't really looked into it. I couldn't find any publications that she's the primary author in and yeah, her commits to the codebase have been miniscule. It really does look like a case of the media running with some bullshit about young women in STEM. Whatever. It's not like everybody doesn't know that nerd projects run on nerd sweat, and most nerds are dudes.
I posted the paper that lead to the black hole pic here:

edit: removed the usual douchery

Last edited:
  • 2Like

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
The science you're talking about would never have been implemented in a way to do what it theorized it could do without the code. Aside from that, I am not trying to say she doesn't deserve credit for what she and her team did, rather I disagree with the amount of credit she alone is getting considering the number of other people involved in the theory and implementation. Hm, if coding isn't science, is math? I mean, coming up with a formula to describe something abstract is difficult, time consuming and super impressive when done right, right? ;p
But the science was done before the particular implementation which is being used to force a narrative against the scientist. She and her group published a paper with verified results in 2016, which means they successfully coded and tested their algorithm. The argument some people seem to be making is that because someone implemented the algorithm, the scientists did less work which is very silly. One is an impressive feat of engineering and the other is an impressive feat of science. The argument is comparing apples and oranges and is a bad argument, and if accepted, can be taken to ridiculous conclusions.

As an example of the dumbassery that can arrive from this argument being made a few days ago I very badly potatoed while collecting some data and fit a signal with a cosine instead of a sine curve. The experiment was not an easily replicated one due to a long set up. So I generated the data using the function I collected and fit a sine curve into it. At one of the steps I had to use Fourier transform to estimate frequency for my sine function. Am I Fourier now because I wrote 20 lines of python code? Maybe a tip of one of his ball hairs, if that.

Now the above in no way compares to the massive effort by the dude who implemented the black hole code but the argument is the same and it is very fucking retarded. Fuck the people who are making such an argument. Just because the media are horrible, useless cocksuckers does not mean a stupid position should not be criticized. Nothing should ever be sacred and all opinions must be shit on.

Last edited:
  • 2Like

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
But the science was done before the particular implementation which is being used to force a narrative against the scientist. She and her group published a paper with verified results in 2016, which means they successfully coded and tested their algorithm. The argument some people seem to be making is that because someone implemented the algorithm, the scientists did less work which is very silly. One is an impressive feat of engineering and the other is an impressive feat of science. The argument is comparing apples and oranges and is a bad argument, and if accepted, can be taken to ridiculous conclusions.

As an example of the dumbassery that can arrive from this argument being made a few days ago I very badly potatoed while collecting some data and fit a signal with a cosine instead of a sine curve. The experiment was not an easily due to a long set up. So I generated the data using the function I collected and fit a sine curve into it. At one of the steps I had to use Fourier transform to estimate frequency for my sine function. Am I Fourier now because I wrote 20 lines of python code? Maybe a tip of one of his ball hairs, if that.

Now the above in no way compares to the massive effort by the dude who implemented the black hole code but the argument is the same and it is very fucking retarded. Fuck the people who are making such an argument. Just because the media are horrible, useless cocksuckers does not mean a stupid position should not be criticized. Nothing should ever be sacred and opinion must be shit on.
I think we agree more than disagree. I have a lot of respect for her, her team and everyone involved in accomplishing this. I am tilted by how the media is framing her as being the most important aspect of this work (at least that is how I'm seeing it), and that isn't her fault. People who are trying to belittle her achievement in this due to how the media is showcasing her, yea, they should be criticized, and I hope I haven't come across as one of those people.

khorum

Murder Apologist
Almost! They need a way to cut the parachute instantly or have the netting be less rigid (make it like a venus fly trap).

They could just design the fairings out of material that would resist saltwater corrosion. Even if that triples the cost of the fairings it would be cheaper than what they've already planned.

They thought of doing something similar for the shuttle's SRB's but that wouldve been way too expensive, but the fairings themselves aren't that bad.

• 1Worf

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
I think we agree more than disagree. I have a lot of respect for her, her team and everyone involved in accomplishing this. I am tilted by how the media is framing her as being the most important aspect of this work (at least that is how I'm seeing it), and that isn't her fault. People who are trying to belittle her achievement in this due to how the media is showcasing her, yea, they should be criticized, and I hope I haven't come across as one of those people.
Oh I was not really disagreeing. Just wanted to clarify my position which is that I hate the argument that was made by someone about the guy writing all the code and this somehow making the science contribution less significant. The shit is illogical and stupid and I think i am triggered by it because I am forced by SJW cunts and their media lackeys to share some imaginary political side with people who would make such a boneheaded argument and parade it around as some sort of a victory.

• 1Salty
  • 1Like

Zapatta

Krugman's Fax Machine
<Gold Donor>
They could just design the fairings out of material that would resist saltwater corrosion. Even if that triples the cost of the fairings it would be cheaper than what they've already planned.

They thought of doing something similar for the shuttle's SRB's but that wouldve been way too expensive, but the fairings themselves aren't that bad.

Meh, refractory materials (heat shields) are made of specific minerals (silica, alumina) , ocean water is full of minerals that are directly the opposite in properties. Refractory stuff is also usually 'foamed' (expanded) which makes them very vulnerable to fluids. Need to make a big leap in coating tech.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Melvin

Blackwing Lair Raider
I know these tweets are nearly 18 hours old, which in internet terms is essentially prehistoric, but they still feel at least a little relevant to me. Call me old fashioned.

(1/7) So apparently some (I hope very few) people online are using the fact that I am the primary developer of the eht-imaging software library (https://github.com/achael/eht-imaging …) to launch awful and sexist attacks on my colleague and friend Katie Bouman. Stop.

(2/7) Our papers used three independent imaging software libraries (including one developed by my friend @sparse_k). While I wrote much of the code for one of these pipelines, Katie was a huge contributor to the software; it would have never worked without her contributions and

(3/7) the work of many others who wrote code, debugged, and figured out how to use the code on challenging EHT data. With a few others, Katie also developed the imaging framework that rigorously tested all three codes and shaped the entire paper (https://iopscience.iop.org/article/10.3847/2041-8213/ab0e85 …);

(4/7) as a result, this is probably the most vetted image in the history of radio interferometry. I'm thrilled Katie is getting recognition for her work and that she's inspiring people as an example of women's leadership in STEM. I'm also thrilled she's pointing

(5/7) out that this was a team effort including contributions from many junior scientists, including many women junior scientists (https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10213326021042929&set=a.10211451091290857&type=3&theater …). Together, we all make each other's work better; the number of commits doesn't tell the full story of who was indispensable.

(6/7) So while I appreciate the congratulations on a result that I worked hard on for years, if you are congratulating me because you have a sexist vendetta against Katie, please go away and reconsider your priorities in life. Otherwise, stick around -- I hope to start tweeting

(7/7) more about black holes and other subjects I am passionate about -- including space, being a gay astronomer, Ursula K. Le Guin, architecture, and musicals. Thanks for following me, and let me know if you have any questions about the EHT!
😀
📡
🕳️

• 1Like
  • 1Repost

khorum

Murder Apologist
Fucking "gay astronomer" lol whatever.

Her female colleagues were more than a little irritated that the SJW cuckmedia propped her up as the paragon of women in STEM and more than a few of them stepped up when rabid SJWs started waving their agenda flag with her on it:

There is no "sexist" vendetta against her, it just happens to be absolutely true that she gave 100% of the Ted Talks despite writing less than 1% of the code.

1555012073727.png

• 4Like
  • 1Dislike
Reactions: 4 users

iannis

Musty Nester
Not arguing that point, but computer science is applied math, isn't it?

So is physics though, and we're comfortable calling that science. Completely comfortable. The entirety of physics is nothing but force equations. And I guess some structural models to derive the equations.

Coding has to be science, given that. Those two words can be nebulous, I guess.

Is math our first science? probably.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

iannis

Musty Nester
Fucking "gay astronomer" lol whatever.

Her female colleagues were more than a little irritated that the SJW cuckmedia propped her up as the paragon of women in STEM and more than a few of them stepped up when rabid SJWs started waving their agenda flag with her on it:

There is no "sexist" vendetta against her, it just happens to be absolutely true that she gave 100% of the Ted Talks despite writing less than 1% of the code.

1555012073727.png
Let me guess, and I'm serious.

She's the prettiest girl on the team.

We may like to think we're above that... But we aint. Teams smart to pick the one that fits best and send her.

• 3Like
  • 1Truth!
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 5 users

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
Not arguing that point, but computer science is applied math, isn't it?

So is physics though, and we're comfortable calling that science. Completely comfortable. The entirety of physics is nothing but force equations. And I guess some structural models to derive the equations.

Coding has to be science, given that. Those two words can be nebulous, I guess.

Is math our first science? probably.
Math isnt science. Computer Science used to be math but lately it can be split into two separate sub-fields, one of math and other of science. And programming isnt Computer Science, but a form of engineering. As for physics and applied math, you cant do science without experimentation but you can do applied math without experimentation.

Edit: Also physics is the first science. Maybe even finance because us jews needed that interest rate.

Last edited:
  • 4Like
  • 1Worf
  • 1Dislike
Reactions: 5 users

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
Yeah, I guess math is just logic. It has to be self coherent, but just that.
Its more the lack of experimentation that makes it not be science. One can certainly walk along a line between natural sciences and applied mathematics to a point where the two blend into a single thing. But at that point I dont think its possible to say if you are doing math or the science. A somewhat rigorous definition, if there is a need to separate the two things, would, and does for a lot of people, fall along the lines of experimentation.

• 1Like
  • 1Dislike

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Its the attitude shown by Chael in those posts which I find almost nauseating, its like the most important aspect about Katie is that she is a female in a STEM field. Its lame.

• 2Like
  • 1Dislike
Reactions: 2 users