The Astronomy Thread

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
The power of the Newfies in Space?!?!?

That would be a sight to see, but newfies are from Newfoundland. The closest comparison here that would be near the site they're building would be Capers (from Cape Breton) Most of the core of Nova Scotia are people like you'd see in The Trailer Park Boys (only slightly less absurd)

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

MusicForFish

Ultra Maga Instinct
<Prior Amod>
That would be a sight to see, but newfies are from Newfoundland. The closest comparison here that would be near the site they're building would be Capers (from Cape Breton) Most of the core of Nova Scotia are people like you'd see in The Trailer Park Boys (only slightly less absurd)
The only part of the country I havent visited. Itll be near the top of the list soon.

• 1Like

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Jupiter's great red spot has reduced in size nearly 20% as it appears to continue to 'leak'. Changes like this have never been observed w/ the storm before.

J_Map_GIF_L2_20190601_full.gif

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
You can see the moons of jupiter tonight with a pair of binoculars.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

SeanDoe1z1

Jupiter's great red spot has reduced in size nearly 20% as it appears to continue to 'leak'. Changes like this have never been observed w/ the storm before.

J_Map_GIF_L2_20190601_full.gif

When will congress take climate change seriously!???

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Mudcrush Durtfeet

Hungry Ogre
You can see the moons of jupiter tonight with a pair of binoculars.

Assuming the sky is clear (and at night) you can always do this. It's far enough from the sun that the variance in distance due to Earth's orbital position doesn't have an enormous effect on visibility.

• 1Salty

Cybsled

It was supposed to be extra close to the point where even low level magnification could potentially make out banding/etc.

Didn't matter where I lived, because rain all day lol

Borzak

Dunno last astrophotography I did we still used 35mm slide film lol. Nowdays it's just viewing in my two telesopes, an 8" newt and a 120mm refractor.

• 1Like

Mudcrush Durtfeet

Hungry Ogre
It was supposed to be extra close to the point where even low level magnification could potentially make out banding/etc.

Didn't matter where I lived, because rain all day lol

It's never 'extra close'. It might be at the closest point. Those news headlines try to make you think it's something unusual, to get you to click them. :p.

Jupiter is over five times the distance from the Sun as Earth (if I do my math based on Bode's 'Law' ). Its orbit is not circular, but close enough.

• 1Barf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
It's never 'extra close'. It might be at the closest point. Those news headlines try to make you think it's something unusual, to get you to click them. :p.

Jupiter is over five times the distance from the Sun as Earth (if I do my math based on Bode's 'Law' ). Its orbit is not circular, but close enough.
Yeah im betting its .01% closer or something. Looked at it last night and it appeared no brighter than usual.

• 1Like

Borzak

I have a tree in the way right now so I didn't look. I've never looked at Jupiter with binos. Looking at Saturn is pretty good with a decent pair. There was a guy in the astronomy club I visted at a stargaze once that had a tripmod mount of binos that was nice. It floated and was easy to move on the arm from the tripod. Was super handy. I don't know where he got it or how much he paid, or even if he made it himself. I liked it tho for super quick viewing and took no setup other than carrying it out and plopping it down.

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm

Yeah im betting its .01% closer or something. Looked at it last night and it appeared no brighter than usual.

I don't know if it's rare enough to be considered unusual, since "closest point" (or at least, relatively closest) happens roughly once a year (13 months), but the distance between the two planets varies from ~4.2 AU to ~6.2 AU. Not every "closest point" is the actual closest point, either, as I think this year the closest it comes is 398 million miles from Earth, but the closest it can reach is about 365 million miles (furthest is about 601 million miles).

Mudcrush Durtfeet

Hungry Ogre
I don't know if it's rare enough to be considered unusual, since "closest point" (or at least, relatively closest) happens roughly once a year (13 months), but the distance between the two planets varies from ~4.2 AU to ~6.2 AU. Not every "closest point" is the actual closest point, either, as I think this year the closest it comes is 398 million miles from Earth, but the closest it can reach is about 365 million miles (furthest is about 601 million miles).

There's a closest point, it's not a big deal. My guess is all those super moon, wolf moon blah blah moon news articles get enough clicks that they tried this with Jupiter.

Just news making mountains out of molehills really.

• 2Picard
  • 1Dislike
Reactions: 2 users

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
There's a closest point, it's not a big deal. My guess is all those super moon, wolf moon blah blah moon news articles get enough clicks that they tried this with Jupiter.

Just news making mountains out of molehills really.

No different really than noting which date of the year will be the most active for different meteor showers. Probably not a high percentage, but definitely a subset of people that enjoy knowing when these events happen.

• 1Picard