The Astronomy Thread

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Stratolaunch reportedly ceasing operations. It's long term future was in doubt when Paul Allen passed away.

• 3Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Live feed of a raptor engine being mounted to one of the starship hoppers.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Mudcrush Durtfeet

Hungry Ogre
Hopefully they solved the explosion part of the ride.

They don't actually know, hence the whole testing thing. It's been a lot of launches since one of their rockets blew up in flight though (and I don't think a Raptor engine has blown up since they started with the testing this year).

• 2Like
  • 1Salty
Reactions: 2 users

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>

I haven't really been following what SpaceX's goals are for a first man-on-mars mission, but I'm surprised to hear them talking about people staying on mars for 500 days. I kind of assumed that the first manned mission would be a 1 day trip and they'd get the fuck out.

khorum

Murder Apologist

I haven't really been following what SpaceX's goals are for a first man-on-mars mission, but I'm surprised to hear them talking about people staying on mars for 500 days. I kind of assumed that the first manned mission would be a 1 day trip and they'd get the fuck out.

Well if it's anything like my Surviving Mars playthroughs, the first twenty trips or so will be full of nothing but polymers, lithium, ceramics and a shitton of replacement construction drones.

Also a fun and relatively meaty comparison of contemporary rocket engine types and their fuel strategies and why those Raptor engines on the BFR are gonna be running on METHANE instead of kerolox---and also why its full-flow design is revolutionary:

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Well if it's anything like my Surviving Mars playthroughs, the first twenty trips or so will be full of nothing but polymers, lithium, ceramics and a shitton of replacement construction drones.

Also a fun and relatively meaty comparison of contemporary rocket engine types and their fuel strategies and why those Raptor engines on the BFR are gonna be running on METHANE instead of kerolox---and also why its full-flow design is revolutionary:

Never heard of Surviving Mars. Can you recommend it for someone who kind of likes city building / strategy / survival games, and really likes early-space travel fiction (Ex: expanse series) and space science?

• 1Worf

khorum

Murder Apologist
Never heard of Surviving Mars. Can you recommend it for someone who kind of likes city building / strategy / survival games, and really likes early-space travel fiction (Ex: expanse series) and space science?

LOL I haven't really played it much, was joking. Although from what I've seen in a few Let's Plays they memed the fact that biggest mistakes you could make are in the early game where most the trips were to deliver and support unmanned construction.

Cybsled

Part of the reason people need to stay there a bit has to do with positioning of the planets in their orbits. From Earth to Mars and Mars to Earth, you want to launch at a point that reduces the transit time to the absolute minimum. By the time you arrive on Mars from Earth, you've already missed that Mars->Earth ideal window. You'd have to hang out on the planet and wait for the next ideal window.

• 1Like

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Part of the reason people need to stay there a bit has to do with positioning of the planets in their orbits. From Earth to Mars and Mars to Earth, you want to launch at a point that reduces the transit time to the absolute minimum. By the time you arrive on Mars from Earth, you've already missed that Mars->Earth ideal window. You'd have to hang out on the planet and wait for the next ideal window.
That's a good point I hadn't thought of.

• 1Like
  • 1Seriously?
Reactions: 1 users

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
It's ok. Paradox makes good simulation games usually.

It also features among the sponsors you can pick (for starting advantages) a private company based in Hawthorne, California.