The Astronomy Thread

iannis

Musty Nester
To be accurate, the building blocks of life appear about everywhere in the universe, since relatively simple chemical processes generate them.

(the one I was most interested at one time was the interstellar cloud that had about a Jupiter's mass worth of... alcohol).
Space booze must be smooth!

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
Space booze must be smooth!
I'm still salty that no less than two distilleries (Ardbeg and Nikka) sent whiskey to the ISS to see how it affected maturation, and none of them tried to send a full barrel for the mandatory 3 years and get it back to sell Space Whiskey.

That would make me drink again. At least once.

• 1Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 1 users

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Surprise, Saturn has 20 more moons.

1570468891345.png

• 2Like

khorum

Murder Apologist
One of the emergent opportunities afforded by reusable falcons is that it reduces the costs so much that it makes REFUELLING satellites in orbit so that they can reboost to higher orbits cost-effective. NASA's Goddard has been working on this for some time and is poised to do a demonstration refuelling of Landsat-7 sometime soon:

As for servicing/repair missions on damaged satellites, DARPA has the RSGS project that was slated for a 2020 demonstrator until their contractor (MAXAR, the same folks working with NASA) backed out. They've got another vendor and are supposed to announce something by the end of this year:

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Tholan

Blackwing Lair Raider
The Nobel Prize in Physics was awarded to 2 swiss guys for the discovery of the first exoplanet in 1995. Go Switzerland !

• 1Like

khorum

Murder Apologist
How much is the Nobel Prize money worth in Nazi holocaust gold?

• 1Salty
  • 1Worf

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
Some alternative theory that red shift might not just be about distance, but correlates with the age of the material.

• 2Like

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Some alternative theory that red shift might not just be about distance, but correlates with the age of the material.

So many billions of man hours of thought put into red shift and it's implications, if this ends up being accurate, it's going to go down as one of the biggest scientific misunderstandings ever, up there with "the Earth is flat" to future humans.

• 1Like

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
Yea the little tendrils connecting high redshift galaxies to low are one thing but the quantized redshift really makes you think

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
Given the number of satellites launched, he probably had like 4mn "RIGHT NOW, GO GO GO!" to post.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
If this shit actually turns on in 2020 it's going to change my life. I hope it's not going to fizzle out and break my heart like the Iridium project did with telephone back in the day.

• 1Like