The Astronomy Thread

iannis

Musty Nester
Interesting article, but I think they oversimplified. They make it sound almost arbitrary (the points they're talking about in the first third) and i'm sure it's not.

I even kind of know what they were talking about, Arkani-Hamed guy gave a lecture that I watched and he was talking about that type of symmetry. Just not this application of the idea.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

iannis

Musty Nester
Seems like it doesn't really suggest it.

Whatever the shape is, its becoming more suspciously not 3 dimensional. When they talk about flat, saddle, or curved they're talking about how lines interact over distance.

Assuming that inflation is correct and that the CMB is the visible remnant of it, that precludes the option of that kind of a closed universe. It doesn't preclude a closed universe, just the sort of "inside of a sphere" one.

There would be a uniform wall of light at a certain distance from us if that were true, no matter how much larger the universe is than our observable portion of it. And there is a wall of light, but it's not uniform.

Last edited:

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
Seems like it doesn't really suggest it.

Whatever the shape is, its becoming more suspciously not 3 dimensional. When they talk about flat, saddle, or curved they're talking about how lines interact over distance.

Assuming that inflation is correct and that the CMB is the visible remnant of it, that precludes the option of that kind of a closed universe. It doesn't preclude a closed universe, just the sort of "inside of a sphere" one.

There would be a uniform wall of light at a certain distance from us if that were true, no matter how much larger the universe is than our observable portion of it. And there is a wall of light, but it's not uniform.

If that were the case, would so many that know more than us posit bubble universes etc?

Or am I missing some thing?

• 1Like

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
Anyone notice that jet of material coming out the top? A leak? Saw a piece fly off too.

leak.png

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

iannis

Musty Nester
If that were the case, would so many that know more than us posit bubble universes etc?

Or am I missing some thing?
No, pretty much exactly.

We do know that what we can observe with light is not possibly the whole thing. It's bigger. INfinite is a big concept and it might be. Doesn't have to be. Might just be big.

You might as well refer to the rest of it as a bubble. Or our observable universe as the bubble. If the region's are not causually linked (further away than even light can interact) they are sequestered.

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
No, pretty much exactly.

We do know that what we can observe with light is not possibly the whole thing. It's bigger. INfinite is a big concept and it might be. Doesn't have to be. Might just be big.

You might as well refer to the rest of it as a bubble. Or our observable universe as the bubble. If the region's are not causually linked (further away than even light can interact) they are sequestered.

Lol no

At deer camp so can't really type a good response. But nah dude. Lol

Ping me on this in like three days. Because if I don't understand this properly, I want to. And if I do, then we gotta correct you

• 1Dislike

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
Anyone notice that jet of material coming out the top? A leak? Saw a piece fly off too.

The Merlin is an open cycle engine. That jet is most likely the exhaust of the gases used to power the turbo pumps.

^

Those things don't just spring leaks without catastrophic consequences. It's ~3400 degrees and 100 atm in the combustion chamber. Even the fuel lines running in are already pre-heated and pressurized by passing through the bell material first. The fuel itself is the coolant.

• 1Like

khorum

Murder Apologist

View attachment 230818
preburner exhaust from the turbopump maybe? As far as I know the new raptor engines (for the starship) are the only closed/full flow engines spacex has made so far so all the old merlin and vulcan engines must still have some kinda preburner exhaust somewhere.

• 1Like

Mudcrush Durtfeet

Hungry Ogre
preburner exhaust from the turbopump maybe? As far as I know the new raptor engines (for the starship) are the only closed/full flow engines spacex has made so far so all the old merlin and vulcan engines must still have some kinda preburner exhaust somewhere.
The Raptor engines are the only such engines in production, ever, as far as I know. Not quite being used for space travel yet, but soon.

• 1Salty
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Tilion

Trakanon Raider
Open cycle engines don't have to vent the preburner exhaust randomly out the side. Some, like the F-1 engine from the Saturn V and the Vulcain 2 from the Ariane 5, vent the gases back into the engine nozzle which creates a "cool" film and protects the nozzle from the main combustion chamber gases. If you watch videos of the Saturn V launch you see a dark band coming out of the nozzle, that is the cooler preburner exhaust gas.

The Raptor engines are the only such engines in production, ever, as far as I know. Not quite being used for space travel yet, but soon.

The raptors are/will be the first full-flow closed cycle engine to fly, but there have been plenty of closed cycle engines with different preburner variants flown before and currently.

iannis

Musty Nester
Spread another rumor. I won't care about that one either.

If an order existed showing her rumor to be true, and therefore not a rumor, no one would be asking her if it happened.

He could stand in times square and murder people at this point.

• 1Seriously?

khorum

Murder Apologist
The russian engines on the deltas have been closed cycle engines. They're still under sanctions and ULA has been scrambling to source alternative engines for a few years now. Word is they've finally settled on Blue Origin's closed/full flow engines.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
NASA cucked out. Changed the name of Ultima Thule to some bullshit Indian name because some people viewed the original as a Nazi reference.

• 1Rustled