The Astronomy Thread

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
he's really fixed on an integrated platform that can be launched, landed, refueled on Mars, then relaunched and relanded at Earth.
Have they figured out how they are going to generate enough power for any of that? The logical thing to do is build a small nuclear reactor, Im no engineer but I dont see how solar panels support human activity let alone rocket fuel manufacturing on Mars. Not even taking into considering the abysmal power generation at Mars' orbit, theres the fact the planet is covered in planet wide dust storms like clock work.

So awesome! I watched with my wife and kids.

I have followed this on the most casual of levels and yet I found myself tearing up a bit. Thoughts of 1986 Challenger Explosion a day from childhood that I will never forget. I was thinking of Challenger and found myself so relieved and thankful that my kids got see a successful launch that it made me tear up. Considering the current state of our country this could not have come at a better time. Like the broadcast said when we come together we are capable of beautiful things. I don't even believe in God, but I don't think there is a better way to say it...God Bless America.

I live near my parents now. They are old. I invited them over to watch since I have the nice TV.

My 82 yo dad choked up. He was *this* close to actually letting a tear roll out.

As Mr. Cube would say, it was a good day.

• 3Like
  • 3Solidarity
Reactions: 5 users

Cybsled

Have they figured out how they are going to generate enough power for any of that? The logical thing to do is build a small nuclear reactor, Im no engineer but I dont see how solar panels support human activity let alone rocket fuel manufacturing on Mars. Not even taking into considering the abysmal power generation at Mars' orbit, theres the fact the planet is covered in planet wide dust storms like clock work.

With fuel, the idea is to land the fuel generation platform on Mars and let that build up a supply long before you land. They would make sure that is working without a hitch before committing the full mission.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
With fuel, the idea is to land the fuel generation platform on Mars and let that build up a supply long before you land. They would make sure that is working without a hitch before committing the full mission.
The real question is can they get an autonomous system to generate fuel before they send people? If the cost savings of weight to orbit are based on starship not needing to carry enough fuel to leave mars, the people on that first mission have to make fuel or will die. Either that or you send the first few missions carrying nothing but fuel as their payload, just to leave for a return trip if the martian fuel production plan doesnt go as intended.

Cybsled

I doubt they would ever launch the mission without confirming fuel will be available. There's just too much shit that could go wrong.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I doubt they would ever launch the mission without confirming fuel will be available. There's just too much shit that could go wrong.
Yeah. I meant sending a few unmanned missions just to drop fuel. As a backup for a production failure.

Cybsled

Launching fuel is very expensive, though. Not only do you have to launch it, but you also have to -land- it.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Brad2770

I really hope those Astronauts had this taped somewhere inside the Dragon Capsule.

FEA5F57C-27A3-4F06-A1A7-2DE42811FC17.jpeg

• 2Like
  • 1Worf
  • 1Dislike
Reactions: 4 users

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
Got the docking done right as the light faded, was nice they were a few mins early. Some serious KSP flaskbacks

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Here is where Russian nationalism made a mistake. The partnership of the old glory of NASA with the new audacity of a billionaire lunatic in SpaceX, it really does feel like a new paradigm. Russia, as far as their trusty and venerable Soyuz program, are now stuck holding the old paradigm.

I mean, are you telling me Putin couldn't find one *reliable* Russian billionaire to privatize the rocketry part, and then leave the heroic astronaut part to the state? What a missed opportunity.

I have nothing against the Soyuz program. I think it has a charm to it, and certainly a fantastic history. But I think Russian space exploration has just missed a beat here.

Of course, they are always welcome to purchase a passage on the Dragon Crew. No hard feelings, old chum.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
  • 1Picard
Reactions: 4 users

Siddar

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Here is where Russian nationalism made a mistake. The partnership of the old glory of NASA with the new audacity of a billionaire lunatic in SpaceX, it really does feel like a new paradigm. Russia, as far as their trusty and venerable Soyuz program, are now stuck holding the old paradigm.

I mean, are you telling me Putin couldn't find one *reliable* Russian billionaire to privatize the rocketry part, and then leave the heroic astronaut part to the state? What a missed opportunity.

I have nothing against the Soyuz program. I think it has a charm to it, and certainly a fantastic history. But I think Russian space exploration has just missed a beat here.

Of course, they are always welcome to purchase a passage on the Dragon Crew. No hard feelings, old chum.

Bet the Russian wish they could go back and sell Elon that rocket he wanted to put something small on mars.

Instead they laughed at him and told him no and he got the idea to found space x on flight home from Russia.

• 3Solidarity
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 3 users

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>

I dont think Russia has an issue with legislature gridlocking space programs for budgetary reasons like Congress does with NASA. And I think that Putin doesnt care to rely on any oligarch who might some day fall out of favor or hold the design/manufacturing hostage.

• 1Truth!
  • 1Salty

Tholan

Blackwing Lair Raider
They lowered the price of Soyuz flights by 30% last week.
This launch is good for Musk, not sure why it's good to USA though, it's not like it's the first time you could do it.

• 3Picard
  • 1Seriously?
  • 1Salty
Reactions: 5 users

Cybsled

The plan is approximately 4 months I think. There is supposed to be another human launch in August.

• 2Like