The Astronomy Thread

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
Couple short clips of last nights launch. Some of the satellites have a modified visor they are testing for the whole reflectivity problem.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
It is not recovered and it falls back to earth. I don't know if is destroyed or just falls into ocean.

Didnt know if it was low enough to fall back quickly or if it was going to float for X amt of time.

Or if it would fire again to drop faster etc.

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
What happened to the discarded portion of the Dragon 2nd stage?

It is not recovered and it falls back to earth. I don't know if is destroyed or just falls into ocean.

They try to decelerate the second stage so that it falls back into the atmosphere and immediately burns up. Depending on the target orbit for the mission, though, there may not be enough fuel left to do so. For those missions, the second stage is left in a "graveyard" orbit where it hopefully doesn't interfere with other known space activity and will eventually decay on its own over months/years.

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
Another successful launch and stage 1 landing

Excited to see the performance of starlink it plays into my be a hermit in the woods life goals

• 3Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Until it gets delayed to 2022.

Because it's the James Webb curse. Overruns and delays.
jwst_delays.png

• 1Like

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
I haven't kept the link around because it's fucking old by now, but there was an older study that made a curve between number of civilizations and probability of being able to see at least one, and there cut-off was 8 at 50%. Basically, if you had 8 or more civilizations in the galaxy, there would be a 50% or greater chance to have seen indications of the existence of at least one.

30 active ones? Based on what I remember, there should be a sub-1% chance of not having seen traces of at least one.

• 3Like
  • 1Dislike
  • 1Seriously?
Reactions: 4 users

Rime

<Donor>
At the same time, life even on our own planet is so varied and wild, that we may not even know what to look for. Even if they were carbon based, they could still be tribal or they could have technology that could eclipse our own so far that we could not even look for it, etc.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
I haven't kept the link around because it's fucking old by now, but there was an older study that made a curve between number of civilizations and probability of being able to see at least one, and there cut-off was 8 at 50%. Basically, if you had 8 or more civilizations in the galaxy, there would be a 50% or greater chance to have seen indications of the existence of at least one.

30 active ones? Based on what I remember, there should be a sub-1% chance of not having seen traces of at least one.

the Drake Equation can only be so accurate at this point just due to lack of human knowledge, basically any of these big "studies" that come out ever 5-10 years claiming new numbers are just click bait...

tho yeah Fermi Paradox thread probably could use a bump brb :) (best thread i ever made :p )

• 3Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
the Drake Equation can only be so accurate at this point just due to lack of human knowledge, basically any of these big "studies" that come out ever 5-10 years claiming new numbers are just click bait...

tho yeah Fermi Paradox thread probably could use a bump brb :) (best thread i ever made :p )
/solidarity!

The study I'm referring to was a monte-carlo simulation based on amount of technological civilizations (either detectable by radio for low-Kardashev numbers or infrared for median... at the time, they didn't account for tabby star-like behaviour for high kardashev, I think).

• 1Like